SASS Wire Forum

Home Insurance Question -- Speed Bumps

Cholla

Our HOA voted to put in 13 speed bumps in the four miles to the back of the HOA. They have increased the amount of time it will take any emergency vehicles to get back here by about five minutes. It seems that once the insurance company gets wind of this, our insurance will increase. Any insurance agents out there that can speak with authority on this?

Insurance costs to the HOA will likely increase. I almost joined an HOA once, and learned a bit about them. I learned I am not compatible with HOAs.

But if the HOA has $20,000 to spend on speed bumps...

And the owners are already willing to take some hit on their property value because of speed bumps...

They will probably vote to pay the insurance. The HOA is probably obligated to inform their insurance carrier.

The four-members of the HOA board didn't ask anyone about the speed bumps. Three of the four just voted them in and then one resigned to avoid the backlash. I am not concerned about any insurance the HOA pays. I am wondering if the people living in the HOA controlled "ranch" will face increased home insurance costs. I suspect we will.

I think it would lower your property values or at least limit the number of people who would be willing to buy in a neighborhood with speed bumps.  I know I wouldn't buy a house in a neighborhood where I had to drive over 13 speed humps.

45 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Check your state laws. That action may not be legal. Is the community gated with private roads or are the streets public.

gated.

28 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

D 9 at 3 am

Usually, a track driven Bobcat will suffice. Not as likely to damage the rest of the pavement!! ;)

We don't have an HOA where we live, thank God, but a few years ago the county decided our street needed speed bumps. They sent out a notification and asked for input, even though they had already decided where they were going. And you guessed it, one ended up in front of our house. Thankfully it is the gentle swell type not the bone jarring strips in most parking lots. But we still get the occasional launch from the unaware.  The reason we were given is because our street is one of the cut throughs for a school 3 blocks over.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

If you get snow, they won't hold up long to plows! 

That's what I was gonna say and you do get snow in Prescott! 

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You might want to let the police, fire dept and local ambulance company know this. 

Bet they won't like it...... ;)

The road is private so no snow plows. I have tried contacting the local fire department but so far have not gotten in touch with the head person. I have read that the fire department that serves the area has to approve them. That may or may not be true. But they were not approved.

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

The road is private so no snow plows. I have tried contacting the local fire department but so far have not gotten in touch with the head person. I have read that the fire department that serves the area has to approve them. That may or may not be true. But they were not approved.

Go to the nearest fire station and ask to speak with the station Commander 

Archived