SASS Wire Forum

First nine

Ezra Hawthorne

I recently acquired my first 9mm pistol, a Taurus PT-92 AF born in 1985.
169517-375x500-jpeg.494726
Installed a new locking block as suggested by people who own one and I also replaced the metal notch rear sight with the two dot kind listed for sale on their website. The front sight does not have a dot or paint and no dovetail so it can't be replaced, trying to determine how best to improve it. This one does not have a decocker which is disappointing but since I got it for good price I guess I can live with it. I think my dream pistol would be a pre-lock pre-accessory rail PT-92 AFS-D, the all stainless version or even better, the kind with gold accents like in this picture:
10630172-719999915_image-png.494736
Unfortunately these aren't in production anymore so the odds of finding one without paying an arm and a leg are slim to none so it'll remain a fantasy for now. I've always liked how the M9 looked visually whenever I saw it in movies and TV shows, now i've finally got one of my own. Once the weather gets warmer i'll take mine to the range and try it out.

Good solid guns. Go to Walmart and find the most eye-piercing neon green nail polish they have and dab a bit on that front sight.

Copied after the Beretta 92, but upgraded with the safety/decocker on the frame.  Could be carried cocked and locked like a 1911, or hammer down and double action first shot if preferred like the Beretta.

Very good buy in this type of a full size 9mm pistol.

2 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Good solid guns. Go to Walmart and find the most eye-piercing neon green nail polish they have and dab a bit on that front sight.

Put a coat of white on first. ;)

Congratulations @Ezra Hawthorne:D

3 minutes ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

What does this mean?

Usually the neon colors are somewhat translucent or transparent.  If you just put it on a black sight it will be dull.  A dab of white paint, let it dry, then overcoat with the neon is much brighter.

I just use good old liquid White-Out.  

3 hours ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

What does this mean?

Sorry. I should’ve explained. 
When putting bright paint or nail polish on a front sight put a coat of bright white on first then put your bright color on after the white dries. It’ll make a big difference in being able to see the bright colored sight. The color will be more brilliant. 

The Taurus has a decocker on the same switch as the safety. Up is safe ...down is decock...center position is fire. I have had mt Taurus 92 quite a few years now. I used it to qualify when we had to for our Iowa Permit to carry. Now I just have to shoot for my Minnesota permit. Last time I did that...I used a 1911 10 mm longslide

Archived