SASS Wire Forum

Typical John Wayne

Lawdog Dago Dom

Whoever quoted him should have quoted him better. That is not the hat John Wayne wore in Stagecoach.

That's the hat he wore in Hondo, 1953.

And I read an article several years ago where Mr Davis was talking about it and he said that it was the hat John Wayne wore in Hondo.

Wayne also wore that hat in Rio Bravo, 1959. Davis wore it in Sergeants 3, 1962.

55 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Whoever quoted him should have quoted him better. That is not the hat John Wayne wore in Stagecoach.

And I read an article several years ago where Mr Davis was talking about it and he said that it was the hat John Wayne wore in Hondo.

Wayne also wore that hat in Rio Bravo, 1959. Davis wore it in Sergeants 3, 1962.

John Wayne Birthplace Museum

205 S. John Wayne Drive

Winterset, IA 50273

director@johnwaynebirthplace.museum

And its a magic hat.  Watch Hondo and Rio Bravo and you will see scenes where the front brim is up, and a few seconds later it’s down.  Kinda like watching Dorothy’s braids get longer and shorter in in same scene in The Wizard Of Oz.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

And its a magic hat.  Watch Hondo and Rio Bravo and you will see scenes where the front brim is up, and a few seconds later it’s down.  Kinda like watching Dorothy’s braids get longer and shorter in in same scene in The Wizard Of Oz.

Yeah...but there's no place like home.

You also see that hat, or one just like it, worn by Ward Bond in a couple of westerns and John Wayne often wore that hat on sets during the filming of “The Alamo”!

That had didn’t spend a lot of time on a hat rack!!

My biggest question is, which is the front and which is the back??  If you watch closely, it appears, worn both ways, in these films!!:lol:

46 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My biggest question is, which is the front and which is the back??  If you watch closely, it appears, worn both ways, in these films!!:lol:

There was a cavalry officer’s braid as a hat band around the crown.  The free ends of the cord were on the front brim. You can see the cord in this screenshot from Hondo (hat in down brim mode):

91F89A9C-9B38-4D51-AAAF-BCDB94E3D06E.thumb.jpeg.50e24933af841982b737c575c40582c0.jpeg

edit:

…but that cord is not on the hat in Rio Bravo.

To most in those days, a hat was a tool , just like a knife or a hammer.  It carried water, shaded the eyes, beat off pests, and kept the sun off of the head!  It usually took its shape from how it was used and how the wearer grabbed it to put it on or take it off. 

Most hats, particularly those that were worn every day, weren’t a fashion statement. This was especially true of hats worn by men who worked with their hands and their backs.

Styled hats were the mark of city folks.  The Derby, the Hamburg, and fedora are examples.  The “Boss of the Plains” was one of the few “styles” that was sold to the cowboys and settlers of the west in the beginning.  Most were “open crown” hats, sold with the brim unshaped and the crown blocked into a simple round shape. Shaped, finished hats became more common with the “civilization” of the country.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

In the movie The Angel and the Badman, his hat changes from light to black and back several times. 

It's a mood hat, like the mood rings in the 1970s. When the hat was light, he was happy. When the hat was dark he was ready to give someone a whopping.

6 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

That’s nothing compared to the one Robert Mitchum wore in El Dorado on the way to the saloon and back again, I counted 5 different versions!  

That's why there is an "Ignore" button round here.

11 hours ago, Alpo said:

I was an extra (cavalry soldier) in that movie and Sammy Davis was a wonderful guy to boot.  He treated the extras just like he treated everyone else, like a long time friend.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I was an extra (cavalry soldier) in that movie and Sammy Davis was a wonderful guy to boot.  He treated the extras just like he treated everyone else, like a long time friend.

They had a lot of fun with him being short. They had this big - 14 maybe 16 hands - white mule. Must have crossed the biggest jackass in the world with a Clydesdale to get something that big.

Screenshot_20230225-215315.png.891cbff09db2bc9be3fa9bf0ab9cb406.png

Had to stand on a stump to get high enough to saddle her.

Screenshot_20230225-214633.png.7ccfe7841b9d4542cd100daeb1f5ccac.png

When he wanted to mount he would drop a piece of rope down that had a loop in the end of it. The loop would be about 2 feet off the ground. He put his right foot in the loop and holding on to the saddle skirt pull himself up.

Screenshot_20230225-221043.png.cfeae57a6d99e2f6ee746a3d7ca34fb3.png

That would get him high enough that he could put his left foot in the stirrup and then swing aboard.

Screenshot_20230225-221112.png.2431252501d1b639077ad24f9296f0f3.png

Man, I love that movie.

In the 1980's when John Bianchi had his leather making company in Temecula, CA. he had a wonderful old west museum on the property.  Unfortunately, a divorce eventually sold off the artifacts of the museum to the Gene Autry museum in L.A.   

BUT, Gene Autry said he would not have an 8 foot tall John Wayne statue in his museum. 

It was moved to the Bianchi leather company's front entrance waiting area. 

Not sure where it is now.

On 2/25/2023 at 3:18 PM, Warden Callaway said:

In the movie The Angel and the Badman, his hat changes from light to black and back several times. 

I always thought he had different outfits and 2 different hats?!?

On 2/25/2023 at 6:44 PM, Henry T Harrison said:

What difference does it make if you’ve seen one John Wayne movie you’ve seen them all 

Not sure what your point is?  Are you criticizing John Wayne movies?  If so that is ok, your right to have an opinion, but there are a few that are alike, his early “B” westerns, the Howard Hawkes trio, but most of the John Ford directed ones had different story lines and allowed John Wayne to be different. 

Archived