SASS Wire Forum

Would you answer?

Alpo

The lawyer will voir dire the potential jurors.

He asks, "how many of you own a gun?"

Would you raise your hand?

If you do own one, and you do not admit it, have you just committed perjury?

If they ask me specifically DO YOU and I say NO, I know that's perjury. But a group question and I just don't answer it??

Yes, I know. Two questions. :P

I wouldn't want the defense to have any grounds for appeal based on juror misconduct.  Concealing or providing false information during voir dire could be considered juror misconduct.   I would answer honestly, however that question about being prior law enforcement would generally knock me out pretty quickly.

Yes, but I can’t put my actual reply here because it’s my right. And to quote Young Guns if they don’t like it, they can go straight to hell.. 

Now  if you’re talking about our lustrous VA . Know anyone that’s been to an annual VA medical appointment will test today as you are interviewed .Know anyone that’s been to a annual VA medical appointment will test today as you are interviewed by no less than three or four people. Oh asking how you are just now at your hobbies a such what you’d like to do , how are things going? Trying to be a buddy what you’re trying to do is say you are mentally unstable and admit that you have guns because then they will send you a letter voiding your second amendment I know this for a fact because it’s happened to people I know 

10 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Don’t lie during jury selection.

If you are ever a defendant, would you want to be judged by liars?

Leave that to the Lefties.

Have you ever noticed many of them have beards?

I guess they can't look themselves in the face to shave.

8 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Hey, I had a beard until this morning. :lol:
Actually, I saw my reflection in a store window a couple of days ago and I wondered who that old looking dude was that was looking looking back at me. :lol:

I need to prufread more…

57 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I guess they can't look themselves in the face to shave.

Never trust a clean shaven man, he's hiding something.

How many bearded politicians do you know?

IMG_20230113_144925749.jpg

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Yes, but I can’t put my actual reply here because it’s my right. And to quote Young Guns if they don’t like it, they can go straight to hell.. 

Now  if you’re talking about our lustrous VA . Know anyone that’s been to an annual VA medical appointment will test today as you are interviewed .Know anyone that’s been to a annual VA medical appointment will test today as you are interviewed by no less than three or four people. Oh asking how you are just now at your hobbies a snack what you’d like to do how are things going? Trying to be a buddy what you’re trying to do is, do you mute, mentally unstable and admit that you have guns because then they will send you a letter voiding your second amendment I know this for a fact because it’s happened to people I know 

I have no idea what you wrote up there.

Actually in this TV show the defense attorney was telling the defendant that the prosecutor was looking for gun owners on the jury, because gun owners were generally hard on crime. So he wanted lots of gun owners on the jury so he can be sure of convicting the defendant for murder.

Okay. Whether that makes sense or not I don't know and really don't care. It was just the question.

It's like, HOW MANY OF YOU KEEP MORE THAN $1,000 IN CASH IN YOUR HOUSE?

I wouldn't put my hand up for that one either. There's some things that ain't nobody's damn business.

I was on a dog bite jury, and they asked how many people had dogs. I was on a WE ARE SUING THE INSURANCE COMPANY jury, and they asked how many people had had interactions with insurance companies.

But when they start asking about things of great financial worth, I don't believe it's any of their business.

I can truthfully say that I do not own any guns.

Neither do I own any howitzers or mortars.

Personal firearms are another matter.

ADDED:

If phrased as "How many of you own A firearm?"

I could again truthfully say that I don't own A firearm.  I have more than one.

Years ago, maybe 1986, I recall being sent to a courtroom in LA County for what-a-deer :Dafter having filled out a questionnaire with everyone else in the main jury waiting area. Apparently the defense convinced the judge that having a “jury of one’s peers” wasn’t good enough and they needed a more select type of peer. 
Anyway, on the questionnaire it was asked (going by memory here):

Do you own any guns and why?

Are you a member of law enforcement or do you have friends and family that are in law enforcement?

Have you ever served in the military?

There were a couple others but I don’t recall them. 

I answered yes to all and on the first one I added something like “family protection, target shooting and competitions”

I guess they didn’t review these before 12 jurors and several alternates were in the courtroom. Probably too time consuming as there were at least 150 people in the jury room downstairs. 

I was in the jury box when the judge called my number “Juror #3. What do you mean by ‘competitions’ regarding the gun question?”

I explained that I shot Bullseye competitions and tactical shooting matches put on by members of LAPD SWAT.” 
I am pretty sure I heard crickets and for some reason everyone in the room was blankly staring at me except for a couple of uniformed cops and the bailiffs. They smiled. 
I was excused. I asked why and was told “Thank for coming . You are excused for the day.”

That’s all I needed to hear and I was gone. I hopped on my bike and headed for Malibu on a beautiful Spring day in Southern California. 
I never did find out what the trial was about and at the time I did not care. 

My answer to the second part of the gun question "......any guns and why" would have been; because it's my right under our Constitution as an American citizen.

I would answer truthfully.  You never know if the reason for asking is to determine if someone on the jury has a working knowledge of firearms or not.  Case could be to determine if there was a mechanical malfunction that resulted in a negligent discharge or mishandling of the firearm or something unrelated.   Think of the Alex Baldwin case on the set of Rust.  Pretty much any one of us could have prevented that from happening, because we are gun-guys.

Truth.png.f06c459509c09fa34b09a3f69f106fa5.png

I was called for a high profile murder case a while back. The Prosecution and Defence gave the jury pool a sample of what their cases were going to be. 

The case was on a man who was supposed to have murdered his wife with a certain gun, which he no longer had, having sold it, and couldn't say where it went. The Defence claimed that they had found the actual shooter, who had owned the same type of gun, but had sold it, and couldn't say where it went. 

I said that I had a problem believing in that much coincidence, and that as a responsible gun owner, both these guys were so lax in their recordkeeping that neither could account for their gun. I was excused.

To Alpo's original question: If asked if you own "a" gun and you own several, the correct answer would be no.  Owning several would fall under the question being ask"do you own any guns" ala Pat Riot, then perhaps the answer would be yes.  Of course the best way to weave around this question is to never "own" guns. Your guns are owned by a trust.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:54 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hey, I had a beard until this morning. :lol:
Actually, I saw my reflection in a store window a couple of days ago and I wondered who that old looking dude was that was looking looking back at me. :lol:

I need to prufread more…

I wore a Van Dyke all my younger years.. until it went white and I looked like an old goat.

The bad thing about growing a beard when you're both old and fat (and it's worse when you wear glasses) is that long around December you start hearing the Santa Claus jokes.

Pcdv0121.jpg.69ff0f051a33d4ce7004005fe178dc84.jpg

That picture is from '05, and I'm much greyer now. Fatter too.

On 2/24/2023 at 7:01 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I guess they can't look themselves in the face to shave

I've had mine since I was 20. 'Course, I have to look in the mirror, mostly, to shave the neck and the mustache. And I'm to the right of George III, as an old boss of mine long ago put it.

52 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The bad thing about growing a beard when you're both old and fat (and it's worse when you wear glasses) is that long around December you start hearing the Santa Claus jokes.

My fire department asked me to be Santa, back when I had a full beard.
A moppet regarded me skeptically, then reached up, seized my chin whiskers and pulled.

Hard.

Shocked silence, a mother's mouth opened to apologize, then the wide eyed child gushed, "It's real! You ARE Santa!"

Made the pain worth it!

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

The bad thing about growing a beard when you're both old and fat (and it's worse when you wear glasses) is that long around December you start hearing the Santa Claus jokes

You make that sound like a bad thing. 

One time at church, maybe about 20 years ago when my hair and beard were much less grey, during the sermon a little Eritrean boy, maybe two years old crawled over to me and onto my lap.  Started touching my beard and hair, then said something to me.  I looked over at his mom.  She gave a soft chuckle and whispered, "He said that he thinks you look like Jesus." Good Lord!!!  What a thing to try to live up to!

Archived