SASS Wire Forum

Baseball tomorrow!

DeaconKC

Yeah! First game of Spring Training is on tomorrow! 1205 Central Cardinals! Woohoo!

❤️I’m hoping to get to Phoenix for a couple of games next month.

14 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I'm making my junior college umpiring debut in a few weeks!

Good luck !!!

Manny Machado is the first to take too long to get into the batter’s box:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/padres-manny-machado-becomes-first-victim-mlbs-new-pitch-clock

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Manny Machado is the first to take too long to get into the batter’s box:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/padres-manny-machado-becomes-first-victim-mlbs-new-pitch-clock

It's funny that a batter is the first one gigged by the "pitch" clock rule.:lol:

Just finished watching the Sox v. Braves game.  Ended as a 6-6 tie.  Sox did everything that they could to give it away in the bottom of the 9th.  But the Braves batter got caught by that 8 second rule with a count of 3-2, 2 out, bases loaded.

A faster game, no less exciting.  I think the networks need to get the pitch clock on the screen.

Well, my Cards blew a 2-1 lead but definitely nice to see baseball again. Yup a couple of guys caught on the batter's time rule. The catcher has just become a LOT more important with the restriction on pitches to the base.

Mine was on Bally Sports Midwest, used to be Fox Sports Midwest.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Just finished watching the Sox v. Braves game.  Ended as a 6-6 tie.  Sox did everything that they could to give it away in the bottom of the 9th.  But the Braves batter got caught by that 8 second rule with a count of 3-2, 2 out, bases loaded.

A faster game, no less exciting.  I think the networks need to get the pitch clock on the screen.

ABSOLUTLY NOT THE WAY a baseball game should end!!!

If you want to “speed up the game” cut down on commercials and the time spent on replay!!

The plate umpire already has/had the power to refuse excessive calls for time and the discretion to order batters into the batters’ box. When a batter steps out to go through some extensive reset ritual after taking a pitch without a swing, the umpire can order him back in the box and signal the pitcher to deliver another pitch.

No new rules are necessary for this.

Enforce the balk rule the way it was written and you will eliminate other delays.

So much of the game is being “improved” in order to make it fit television and it SHOULD be the other way around!!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

ABSOLUTLY NOT THE WAY a baseball game should end!!!

Regular season, I agree.  Spring training?  A little bit jarring to see a tie, but it's just practice, why chance injuries?

The plate umpires may have the power to do those things, but they haven't been using it.

33 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The plate umpires may have the power to do those things, but they haven't been using it.

That too is likely due to television.  They don’t want their “sports heroes” to lose TV time and it gives the talking heads more time to blab about stuff that has little or nothing to do with the actual game! It also provides publicity and airtime to equipment makers that subsidize the players through endorsement agreements! Follow the money!!

The same games were broadcast on radio for years and only lasted a couple of hours unless they went into extra innings!!  The radio commentators told you everything you needed to know about the game, the players, the team, and the families of the players and gave a vivid description of the game at the same time!! They also read commercial copy for the program sponsors!!

If a picture is worth a thousand words…

Play should never be paused for commercials.  Use the split screen and show the commercial and play at the same time.  Other sports already do this.

I watched the Guardians and Reds yesterday and I have to say I liked the pace of the game. There was only one call on a Reds pitcher that resulted in a ball. 

Archived