SASS Wire Forum

It's a Canadian Plot!

Subdeacon Joe

First they distract us with balloons, then they launch the invasion of Super Pigs!

"A hybrid breed of super pigs—a mix of a domestic pig and a wild boar—is running wild in Canada. And now they have their sights set on the United States.

The cold-hardiness of the hybrid pigs means they survive well. That means other native species don’t. Brook elaborates:

“Wild hogs feed on anything. They gobble up tons and tons of goslings and ducklings in the spring. They can take down a whitetail deer, even an adult. Originally, it was like ‘wow, this is something we can hunt.’ But it’s become clear that they’re threatening our whitetail deer, elk, and especially, waterfowl. Not to mention the crop damage. The downsides outweigh any benefit wild hogs may have as a huntable species.”"

The fiends!  

5 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I've been keeping up on this topic. I'm wondering if the go "EH" instead of "oink".

What about if the super pig is from Quebec? Is the EH a question or a statement?

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That depends on how you cure and season it.

Somewhat true however , feed makes a difference as well as Fat retention ,  You will notice a difference with even Beef grass finished vs grain. 
 Soil comp in the grass makes a difference and so bison vs beef changes that . In wild game you would be able to tell a difference in our Plains deer vs our Hills deer .
Kinda goes into You are what you eat mentality , I can double smoke anything .

CURSES!
We're found out!

Our Porcine invasion force has been discovered!

10 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

CURSES!
We're found out!

Our Porcine invasion force has been discovered!

We discovered Canadian Bacon long ago!

Yawn.

Feral domestic and European boar crosses are old news around here.

'Hogzilla' was killed in South Ga about an hour and a half from here and a kid in North Alabama took one that was over half a ton about 10 years ago

16 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

You will notice a difference with even Beef grass finished vs grain. 

Maybe you can.  For me there might be a tiny and very subtle difference.  If there is, I can't really tell if it was from how it was raised and fed or how it was handled in the seasoning and cooking process.  And sure as heck not worth the $5/lb difference in price.  But then, I usually get what is labeled as USDA Choice at Safeway or Chef's Store.

41 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Maybe you can.  For me there might be a tiny and very subtle difference.  If there is, I can't really tell if it was from how it was raised and fed or how it was handled in the seasoning and cooking process.  And sure as heck not worth the $5/lb difference in price.  But then, I usually get what is labeled as USDA Choice at Safeway or Chef's Store.

Well The Hamburger Angus , Wagyu  ,ect novelty labeling is . You problem is  You dont know where your beef comes from so no you wouldnt be able to tell . I know where mine comes from since 1878. If possible try to find a local rancher that sells beef you will see the difference  .
    When I buy beef its all 5-6 bucks a pound no matter burger or tenderloin :)

IMG_1175.jpg

2 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Well The Hamburger Angus , Wagyu  ,ect novelty labeling is . You problem is  You dont know where your beef comes from so no you wouldnt be able to tell . I know where mine comes from since 1878. If possible try to find a local rancher that sells beef you will see the difference  .
    When I buy beef its all 5-6 bucks a pound no matter burger or tenderloin :)

IMG_1175.jpg

Around here for something like that you're lucky to find it at $10/#.   

They're starting to range into Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota, but no permanent populations yet... allegedly. 

The Montana legislature passed a law in 2015 prohibiting the "transportation, possession, and hunting of feral swine" - supposedly to prevent their introduction into the state. I'm at a loss as to how instituting a hunting ban prevents them from establishing themselves here. :mellow:

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

They're starting to range into Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota, but no permanent populations yet... allegedly. 

The Montana legislature passed a law in 2015 prohibiting the "transportation, possession, and hunting of feral swine" - supposedly to prevent their introduction into the state. I'm at a loss as to how instituting a hunting ban prevents them from establishing themselves here. :mellow:

The same way infringing on law abiding gun owners will stop crime, don't cha know!

18 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

The Montana legislature passed a law in 2015 prohibiting the "transportation, possession, and hunting of feral swine" - supposedly to prevent their introduction into the state. I'm at a loss as to how instituting a hunting ban prevents them from establishing themselves here

I met a fella who told me that he was responsible for bringing coyotes across the Mississippi and into Florida.

In Florida you cannot shoot fox. So when the dogs are out chasing fox, all you can legally do is sit around the fire and pass the jug and listen to the dogs sing.

But when the dogs are chasing coyotes, you can shoot them.

If we had had a law preventing the "possession, transportation, and hunting of coyotes", he most likely would not have brought them in, and we would not now have the invasive species. Well - they might have made it across the Mississippi anyhow, but they damn sure wouldn't have got here as quick as they did.

Ask Australians about rabbits. They were brought there by hunters. There are several invasive species, in many different countries, that were brought there by hunters.

20 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....... horse meat ?  :huh:

I read, some years back, that Indians would refer to beef cattle as "slow elk". They go out hunting, and they don't see no deer or elk or moose or buffalo or antelope - but hey, there's a Hereford. POW! Let's take that slow elk back to the lodge.

And if cows are "slow elk", obviously deer are "fast cows". Or "high-speed beef", if you prefer.

Archived