SASS Wire Forum

Foot In Mouth

Yul Lose

I went into the local Boot Barn this morning to buy a shirt. Finally found what I wanted and walked up to the checkout area and this absolutely beautiful young lady with long brown hair greeted me and asked me if I found everything okay and I said that I did and “You’ve got a spot of black grease or ink on your forehead” and just as I said forehead I realized that it was Ash Wednesday. I quickly apologized and she told me that I was about the 4th person to tell her that this morning and I said “Wow, the stores only been open about a half hour” and she said “I know”. I paid and left as quick as I could.

Was raised Catholic , Pretty much stopped going in Marines because after a Tour to the Root , I was home and Priest Took me aside to question me If I was remaining Pure Catholic . I laughed walked out and never went back . I find myself not believing in any Organized religion Anymore.

Side note umm name and location of said Bootbarn employee ?  

Either we don't have enough Catholics around here, or I've just never paid attention. Because I have never seen anybody with Ash on their forehead on Ash Wednesday.

50 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Either we don't have enough Catholics around here, or I've just never paid attention. Because I have never seen anybody with Ash on their forehead on Ash Wednesday.

Mrs. Lose scolded me and said it wasn’t only Catholics that do the ash thing, I didn’t know.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

A lot of times it's very subtle.  Sometimes a persons hair will either hide it or quickly wipe it off.  And some will rub it off once they leave the service.  I was raised RC, went to Catholic School for 9 years.  Every Ash Wednesday we had Mass right at the start of the day, and by noon all of us had the ashes almost totally rubbed off.  I still recall, vaguely, the litany in Latin, "Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris." (Remember, Man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return) [yes,I did have to look it up because I couldn't remember "pulvis" and "pulverem," and thought it was  "qui" instead of "quia"]

And, it could be as you said, not many Catholics or main line Protestants that  in your area.  Catholics are only about one in five.  

I saw a lot of the ash thing when I was a kid living in a small borough in New Jersey.

There was a Catholic church, a Methodist church, and a Synagogue.  The town was 70% Cathollic and there was a Catholic school and public schools.

This was in the days of “meatless Friday” and even the public schools observed it!  The cafeteria was open to serve meals or you could bring your sack or box lunch from home and they’d serve you milk or juice.

I often brought a bologna or ham and cheese sandwich.  I seldom ate the cafeteria food. My folks would pick up deli meats and cheeses and then sometimes I had peanut butter and jelly!

If I had ham or bologna, the Jewish kids would go sit at another table. If I had any kind of meat on Friday, the Catholic kids would tell me that I was a sinner!

BUT!! I always ate good and healthy and mostly, I think a lot of those kids were jealous!!

Every year, the Catholic kids would show up at school on Ash Wednesday with a smudge on their foreheads. ALL OF ‘EM!!  There were a lot of other symbolic things that happened that I don’t quite recall.

You are unlikely to see ANY of those symbols in schools today.  Christians are chastised for displaying any kind of faith.  Even back in my school days, Jewish people, children and adults, kept their religious displays really low key.  They still do.  

It seems that only the Muslim community is allowed to openly show their faith.  If a Christian or a Jew or even someone of an oriental faith is attacked or ridiculed for expressing their religion, it’s pretty much written off by the authorities and ignored by the media. The only time something like this is prosecuted….  even if only in the media, is when it happens to a person of Muslim faith.

It is wrong that this happens to anyone!!  It is even more wrong than this isn’t dealt with equally!!

It’s no wonder that most people don’t express their faith openly!!

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A lot of times it's very subtle.  Sometimes a persons hair will either hide it or quickly wipe it off.  And some will rub it off once they leave the service.  I was raised RC, went to Catholic School for 9 years.  Every Ash Wednesday we had Mass right at the start of the day, and by noon all of us had the ashes almost totally rubbed off.  I still recall, vaguely, the litany in Latin, "Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris." (Remember, Man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return) [yes,I did have to look it up because I couldn't remember "pulvis" and "pulverem," and thought it was  "qui" instead of "quia"]

And, it could be as you said, not many Catholics or main line Protestants that  in your area.  Catholics are only about one in five.  

And, according to the Catholic News Agency, the number of practicing Catholics has declined some 18+% since 2000.  

My experience with Ash Wednesday came from the POV of a working-class family that couldn't afford the cost of sending the kids to parochial school.  Early morning Mass, anointed with ashes, given strict instruction by my dad that I was NOT to wipe them off, then off to public school to be told a hundred times that I forgot to wash my face.  Of course, there was the time when one helpful kid explained to everyone that I wore that "dirt" because I was a "Cat-licker."  I got a trip to see Miss Hall - the principal - after that one...demoted me from Patrol Captain for two weeks - "conduct unbecoming." 

Our parish had two priests - one experienced, one very young.  Father Casey knew his working-class parishioners well, hustled through the anointing so people could get to work/school on time, and always gave everyone their money's worth on the volume of ash.  Father Kennedy was very artistic with the anointing, actually made the ashes look more like a light grey cross than a giant black blob, so easier for it to "wear off."

CS

They always didn't have meat on Friday in school. That's four elementary schools in three cities and two Junior highs in two cities. By high school I think they had quit that.

But sitting here thinking about it, in my school days I knew one kid that I knew was Jewish, and one that I guessed was Catholic. I guess it just wasn't talked about? exposed? bragged on? Somehow it came up in conversation one day that Bob with Jewish - I was in 11th grade before I met a Jew that I knew was a Jew. John was in my scout troop but he went to St John's Catholic School so I'm pretty sure he was Catholic.

In my late 20s I went to a friend of mine's wedding and that's when I found out that he was Catholic.

I guess I just never talked religion with people. :ph34r:

9 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

You are unlikely to see ANY of those symbols in schools today.  Christians are chastised for displaying any kind of faith.  Even back in my school days, Jewish people, children and adults, kept their religious displays really low key.  They still do.  

When my wife's kids (we didn't have me adopt them, so they weren't really "step-children" although they were "our kids") were in elementary school we packed a light lunch for them during Lent so if they wanted to they could eat lunch.  Lenten weekdays, except for the very young, infirm, pregnant, ill, or elderly, are supposed to try to have just one light evening meal.  The ladies who were in the lunch room to keep order nagged at them to eat, tried to make them sit at the table until they finished what we had packed.  Told them that fasting like that was "Out of date" "Nobody does that any more" and other things .  During Ramadan they didn't bother the Muslim kids about it.  We tried putting a note in with their lunches to show the people what was going on and that it was the kid's choice to eat or not eat.  Finally had to go to the principal an threaten a lawsuit against her, her staff, and the school district to get them to back off.

Bigotry against Catholics (not enough people know about Orthodox to make it an issue) is one of the last that is socially acceptable.  Just that you so often hear a phrase something like "Catholics and Christians" shows the "systemic" religious bigotry, as if somehow Roman Catholics are not Christian.

19 hours ago, Alpo said:

They may not have received their cross yet.  Fewer churches are offering the early morning service.  A 6 or 6:30pm service is offered by most churches around here.  

Archived