SASS Wire Forum

Using Jojoba oil to lube Blackpowder guns

Doc Fill 'Em 67797

I just found this article about using Jojoba oil to lube your Black Powder guns. I love my Ballistol but I might give it a try. 

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/technics/articles/jojoba-oil-black-powder-guns#:~:text=So%2C if you want the,definitely the way to go.

Good grief, talk about a blast from the past!  Jojoba oil was all the rage 40 years ago!  At the time I was the buyer for a major metropolitan transit agency, dealing primarily with everything about their rolling stock, including fuels & lubricants.  Needless to say I listened to a LOT of snake oil salesman pitches.  We ran test after test, I don't recall but very, very few ever proved cost effective, not one involving jojoba bean oil.  Snake oil then, snake oil now.  Claims are easy to make, tough to prove.  For the 20 years I worked in that industry, from CA to TX, about the only claim they didn't directly make was that it cured cancer, but they hinted it might do that!

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Snake oil then, snake oil now.

image.png.62af2a82e2d45332fcc2cd80d361fe47.png

I remember when Jojoba bean farming was going to save western civilization.

Far and away the best oil for BP guns and lots of other things was Sperm Oil.  Pretty scarce these days.

Sperm_oil_bottle_and_can.thumb.jpg.95df33b39952c873629f221dd4656705.jpg

Sheesh. Ballistol is easily available. I think I will continue using it as my supply of sperm whale oil has all dried up.

The only thing I’ve recently seen that I’m giving it a try on is for giving some water resistance to my paper patch bullets, as a thin film will dry to a wax in a few days.  From the info I’ve found some rifles do just fine with it, and those that don’t really don’t perform with it. 

Archived