SASS Wire Forum

Venison Oven Stew

J-BAR #18287

Who’s a good boy?  Maybe me!  Mrs. J-Bar fixed an oven stew with cubed whitetail tenderloin.  And before you purists say it should not be cooked that way, maybe you should taste it.  If you visit, I’ll ask her to make another!

0B8208C7-CBE1-4E47-A6F0-6A37B5D71EBC.thumb.jpeg.df45c9bfcc5ce9108106c3206aa9da59.jpeg

42121C2E-BE71-4794-8424-F5F01661156B.thumb.jpeg.8ba082cfd252a67303c3c477fc9c2faa.jpeg

I make a venison (or elk or antelope) stew that I am sure is a lot like yours. I use a pressure cooker. I cube and flour coat the meat and brown it in a skillet. The meat and drippings go in the cooker along with all the veggies, gravy mix and a few spices. We like it with cornbread or biscuits.

We usually eat a deer & antelope every year. Usually get an elk every other year. I also butcher my own meat, better quality control when I do my own.

I bypassed this thread a couple of times until my curiosity got the best of me. I needed to know what Venison Over Stew was…:rolleyes:

Question: Why would “purists” say it shouldn’t be cooked that way? 

41 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I bypassed this thread a couple of times until my curiosity got the best of me. I needed to know what Venison Over Stew was…:rolleyes:

Because the cut being used was a tenderloin which most venison purists say shouldn't be cooked more then medium rare.

40 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Many deer hunters treasure the backstraps and tenderloin cuts, preferring to eat them like a prime steak.   Using these parts in a stew would be like cutting up a filet mignon to them.  And I enjoy venison tenderloin cooked like a filet mignon…but that’s not the only way to enjoy it!  :)

27 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Many deer hunters treasure the backstraps and tenderloin cuts, preferring to eat them like a prime steak.   Using these parts in a stew would be like cutting up a filet mignon to them.  And I enjoy venison tenderloin cooked like a filet mignon…but that’s not the only way to enjoy it!  :)

I use cuts like roast and chuck, that's why I pressure cook my stew. The meat is always tender. I save my backstraps and tender loin for grilling.

This oven stew recipe does not call for the meat to be browned.  The meat goes on the bottom layer raw, then the veggies are layered and the dish is covered with foil.  Cook at 250 for 5 hours. The meat is not overcooked, melts in your mouth.

18 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Stews and long moist cooking methods are usually reserved for tougher cuts like shanks, but whatever floats your boat is best.

We have so much venison in the freezer that we don't know what to do with it. Trying new things. The last straps I had cut about 8" long. I'll grill them whole on a hot oak coal fire Saturday at the cabin. I grind all the lesser cuts for breakfast sausage and burger. Momma likes all the roasts we can get.

For those that don't know me and my family, I have an uncommonly LUCKY daughter when it comes to hunting, fishing, shooting, jobs..... We don't lack fish and game here -ever.

On 2/22/2023 at 6:48 PM, Michigan Slim said:

I have about 50 pounds of backstrap. Next time my wife makes chili I'm going to cube some up and try that in it.

Myself, I prefer chili with stew meat or "cubed" meat (that is cut into cubes or chunks, not to be confused with meat ran through a cuber).

13 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

We have so much venison in the freezer that we don't know what to do with it. Trying new things. The last straps I had cut about 8" long. I'll grill them whole on a hot oak coal fire Saturday at the cabin. I grind all the lesser cuts for breakfast sausage and burger. Momma likes all the roasts we can get.

For those that don't know me and my family, I have an uncommonly LUCKY daughter when it comes to hunting, fishing, shooting, jobs..... We don't lack fish and game here -ever.

Tenderloin/backstrap and cream/cheddar/provolone cheese stuffed bacon wrapped jalepeno poppers are a favorite around here.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Why five hours?  Everything is done much sooner.

My wife got the recipe from a friend and it said 5 hours.  Based on above comments, I guess the original recipe called for tougher cuts, not tenderloin.  Feel free to experiment!

8 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Myself, I prefer chili with stew meat or "cubed" meat (that is cut into cubes or chunks, not to be confused with meat ran through a cuber).

I had a neck roast cubed for stew meat a few years ago. Worked well.

Archived