SASS Wire Forum

Possible solution for high blood sugar

Trigger Mike

Since my bypass the surgeon told me I HAVE to keep my sugar below 180.  Above 180 your arteries thicken and blood flow is restricted and hastens another bypass.  For a long time my wife would only give me water or unsweetened tea for my meals but I still went above 200 nearly every meal, especially supper.

one day I had high sugar and asked for hot tea instead, with no sweetener.  My sugar dropped.  

I told her to give me just hot tea for supper.  She did and an hour after supper I’m at 134.  I had baked chicken and small potatoes that were baked and Lima beans.  I should have gone high with the potatoes but have not.   

hot tea is also why I hear the Japanese have lower cases of heart disease.  Perhaps hot verses cold makes a difference for sugar as well.

Matter of fact my sugar never got above 144 all evening since the hot tea.  I’m going to do that tomorrow night as well.  

so far hot tea and lots of kale brings my sugar down.   I can eat Kentucky Fried Chicken and a kale salad and my sugar stays down.  

sadly I’m really tired of kale.  

If I had to eat kale to be able to eat breaded fried chicken I wouldn’t be gettin’ any chicken. Kale taste like…like soap flakes rolled up in little brussel sprout leaves. 

Walking does lower sugar but for me it usually only drops it for an hour or less then shoots back up.  Very frustrating.  For me taking a shower causes a sugar spike.   

like my cardiologist told my heart surgeon, I have non typical symptoms 

not having this issue yet i dont relate directly to what your telling us here , but something tells me to listen as i may one day soon need this info , would hot coffee work as well ? only asking as i prefer coffee to tea , i realize there are differences in the caffeine and such , just asking if it might be the heat that helps 

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

not having this issue yet i dont relate directly to what your telling us here , but something tells me to listen as i may one day soon need this info , would hot coffee work as well ? only asking as i prefer coffee to tea , i realize there are differences in the caffeine and such , just asking if it might be the heat that helps 

My question exactly, ya beat me to it. I heard somewhere that tea has as much caffeine as coffee if not more. Okay now I go looking it up!

I was told long ago that tea has about half the caffeine of coffee. 

This link seems to reflect that. It appears I am right at the 400mg mark for caffeine intake daily. 
I will say that tea is more acidic so if you have stomach issues keep that in mind. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372

Here are the charts from that link:

Coffee drinks Size in oz. (mL) Caffeine (mg)
Brewed 8 (237) 96
Brewed, decaf 8 (237) 2
Espresso 1 (30) 64
Espresso, decaf 1 (30) 0
Instant 8 (237) 62
Instant, decaf 8 (237) 2

Teas Size in oz.(mL) Caffeine (mg)
Brewed black 8 (237) 47
Brewed black, decaf 8 (237) 2
Brewed green 8 (237) 28
Ready-to-drink, bottled 8 (237) 19

Sodas Size in oz.(mL) Caffeine (mg)
Citrus (most brands) 8 (237) 0
Cola 8 (237) 22
Root beer (most brands) 8 (237) 0

I'm Type II, so I'm not as bad as some. I've read, and my Dr. has agreed that eating a handful of cashews after eating helps keep your sugar from spiking. I've also taken to using Stevia as a sweetener in my iced tea. My Dr. has also said that that's a good idea.  

I’m often drink a lot of black coffee and have read coffee brings sugar down but it doesn’t seem to work like hot tea does for me.

I have the Dexcom continuous monitor and can tell easily what works and I can drink 2 cups of coffee and not see a change but I can drink 1 cup of hot tea instead and see a change.   Others may have different results as I am discovering not every diabetic is the same.  

I think early on coffee helped but oddly no longer does.   

Gluten-free ice cubes will do the trick.

OP, you are looking at two factors:  glycemic index and glycemic load.
Index is the number given to the total carbs.
Load is how fast those carbs hit your system.

Soft, gushy foods like bananas, mashed taters, hit fast.
Harder carbs like cakes, pies and cookies take a wee bit longer, but stay with you (with me) for days and days.

I find I get a spike from ice cream, York patties, Hershey kisses, etc, etc, but it is a fast spike that retreats well.

In short, the only way you will keep your glucose down is by avoiding carbs.
I run 118 or less, with no insulin on straight keto, then into orbit from cookies or cakes/pies/potatoes/Dorito chips, crackers, etc etc.

[ edit ]

Attaches is a representation of the blood glucose molecule.
Note both the size, and the mace-like rough surface.
The size and texture is why diabetic damage shows up first in the vessels of the retina.

image.medicine.electron.microscope.02.glucose.red.blood.cell.png

Archived