SASS Wire Forum

Snowbird in Yuma

Hardtack Henry

I'm thinking about starting the snowbird life but I need to be able to shoot every weekend.  Does Yuma have alot of shooting opportunities ?  What other areas would be good to explore? 

The area east of Dallas has a lot of clubs. within a max of a 2 hour drive. I can shoot every Saturday and Sunday of the month if I choose. This includes 5th Saturdays. There is also a dedicated Wild Bunch club, and NCOWS club, a Cody Dixon monthly match and one club that shoots several different side match style shoots on a Monday.

I'll post a listing of the clubs later today. 

I happen to agree with @Sedalia Dave about Texas. I suggest a little further south around San Antonio. You can shot every weekend, sometimes twice with long distance. Also it is warmer. 

La Sombra

right now im thinking a permanent snowbird would do nicely we are getting 12-20 in the next couple days - already got 2-3 on the ground and i just got everything cleared from the ice we had last week , shooting sounds really nice about now - instead ill be loading tomorrow 

In the Tucson area, there are four different matches a month - three in Tombstone and there is one just north of Tucson at Catalina. There is a monthly match in Casa Grande. There are at least three different matches in the Phoenix area, one near Cottonwood, one by Prescott and a couple more I don’t remember the particulars on. Also, there’s a great club in Yuma as well.

Conceivably you could shoot every weekend and then some cases twice a weekend in central and southern Arizona. 

The ABQ metro area where I live is good for the shooting sports.  Though we lost Founders Ranch there are still many ranges left.  A SASS club shoots three times monthly.  There is an active USPSA club.  A private club holds "action pistol" matches twice a month on days that don't conflict with CAS matches.  We have three Sporting Clays ranges, three places to shoot trap, and a there is a huge skeet facility.  There is also a BPCR club.  ABQ is not a snowbird mecca because it is not a frost-free area.  However, snow is only common in the mountains and we shoot in sunshine.  Most afternoons are warm enough for a light jacket or sweater.

I think you could find a location you like in Arizona, Southern Nevada, Southern Utah, Southern New Mexico or Texas.  If I were looking outside my local area, I'd look around St. George, UT, the Texas Hill Country near Austin or the Phoenix metro area.  I've shot with clubs in these locations and had good experiences.  These locations cater to snowbirds.  Gun laws in these states are OK.

Archived