SASS Wire Forum

Saloonatics question

Rye Miles #13621

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I hear that with the dog! Hope you're able to make it or at least stop by. If you only stop by, bring that Rottie with you! 

I'll stop by.  I may or may not bring Rosie with me.  We're still learning about each other.  Rosie is supposedly 4 years old, but by Rottweiler standards, she is kind of hyper and still behaves like a puppy.  Definitely far more energy than any other Rottweiler I've encountered.

My doc says I can resume in April.
I do have some doubts about 8 sutures (4x bypass) so close to a coach gun with a steel butt plate.

I could do Josey Wales if need be, or SxS from the hip if the range master has all day for chronic misses...  :D

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I'll stop by.  I may or may not bring Rosie with me.  We're still learning about each other.  Rosie is supposedly 4 years old, but by Rottweiler standards, she is kind of hyper and still behaves like a puppy.  Definitely far more energy than any other Rottweiler I've encountered.

Kimber is 4 or 5 and starting to chill more, but when she gets a hair across her ass; gawd do I wish I was 20 years younger.:D Wouldn't trade her for the world.

I try to make 2 to 3 matches a month, weather permitting. This will be my 26th year of shooting CAS.

Sawmill Mary stopped shooting in 2021.  She didn't say, but I know arthritis was getting too painful. 

Last winter I got down sick and just couldn't throw of it.  Went to doctor. Ran a lot of tests and druged me down to the point that I only have enough energy to function.  And no stamina.  I shot two matches last fall.  I could make it through a stage and then set dawn. By 6 stages I was exhausted. I want to think I am or will improve but not much encouraging progress yet. 

I shoot the same couple of cowboy matches, The Autoloader match and our Workshirkers match with Ranger Dan( he beats me) and attend all the after-the-shoot meals. I excel at the meal time activities. My feet hurt but I continue to go. I miss not getting to shoot with Blackwater and Will and Latigo and a bunch of others I see at lunch from time to time. The socializing has a larger appeal than it did in time past.

Imis

26 years having to be out in every kind of weather generally leaves me a "decent" weather shooter. This Saturday will be my first shoot of the year, just got my confirmation back from Shootout at Cavern Cove, so looking forward to more shooting!

WELL!! I got some news today that moves me closer to putting rounds down range again!!

I went for an ultrasound on my left leg, (they checked the right one too!) and the results were bad news for the doctor and great news for me!!  My circulation is excellent!!  Better than someone my age should expect!!  

One more possible problem eliminated!!  Foot doc tomorrow morning and a much better attitude for dealing with this round of treatment!!

Do I smell smoke??

Balance, endurance, and shot-to-hell legs took me away from anything but shooting from a bench at a local range almost 10 years ago.

Doesn't look like ever be able do it again.

I have a lot of guns, but I just can't bring myself to sell them or any of the rest my gear.

My kids will get some but the rest will go to Riata Pass Auction.  In the meantime I'll be content ro have more guns than Switzerland

10 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I'm ashamed to say that I don't shoot much anymore. I'd LIKE to get back into it, but finances being what they are, it's just not happening right now. If and when the economy gets back to something approaching normal, I'd like to get back to it. 

Failing that, I still like to come here to converse with mostly like minded people such as yourselves. Besides, SOME of you make me look normal by comparison.

..... I'm pretty much in the same boat, ......... but upside down .........  :(

ive been averaging one a month for the past 10-12 years , i am a fair weather shooter - my arthritis and reynolds have presented problems but so far have not stopped me , im looking to add something this summer - im working my retirement job less these days so im hoping to maybe travel to a new shoot , ive got a couple friends that are thinking that way too , 

getting all my ammo reloaded this winter -should finish up the next couple days because we have a snow event going on here right now , between moving snow and that i think my days will be full , 

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

My doc says I can resume in April.
I do have some doubts about 8 sutures (4x bypass) so close to a coach gun with a steel butt plate.

I could do Josey Wales if need be, or SxS from the hip if the range master has all day for chronic misses...  :D

Check out these leather lace on butt pads. They really work very nicely. I use them on my coach guns and my Winchester 94 30-30. 

https://www.buffaloarms.com/shooting-supplies-accessories/recoil-and-cheek-pads/slip-on-lace-up-butt-pads.html

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Check out these leather lace on butt pads. They really work very nicely. I use them on my coach guns and my Winchester 94 30-30. 

https://www.buffaloarms.com/shooting-supplies-accessories/recoil-and-cheek-pads/slip-on-lace-up-butt-pads.html

I have the same lace on pads and am completely happy with them. They stay put and look good too.

11 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

WELL!! I got some news today that moves me closer to putting rounds down range again!!

I went for an ultrasound on my left leg, (they checked the right one too!) and the results were bad news for the doctor and great news for me!!  My circulation is excellent!!  Better than someone my age should expect!!  

One more possible problem eliminated!!  Foot doc tomorrow morning and a much better attitude for dealing with this round of treatment!!

Do I smell smoke??

Good news!

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

A mouse pad piece under your shirt can help too. Also, you could try BP loads in the shotgun. No sharp recoil, just a little push. Worked great for me after shoulder surgery.

No less then 2 a month mostly 3 matches a month. Not as fast as I once was, but me and wife still enjoy and looking forward to each match.

This year because of outrageous Motel costs, it well maybe my last State Match. These cost us around a 1000.00 a year with gas, food, entry fee, Motel bill, etc.

I haven't been to a shoot in a couple years.  Life got in the way.  A couple of surgeries, my shooting buddies grew up and found the opposite sex so I lost them, my older pards rode off into the sunset, I bought a lake place and find the pontoon very relaxing.  I want to do some more shoots this summer between travel trips with mom.

We stopped attending about 15 years or so ago when things got to hard physically and financial issues curtailed discretionary spending. I still stop by here 2-3 times a day to see what's going on.

I have not shot a match in about 20 years after shooting a lot for 12 years, amd in 11 EOT’s.  I have been doing reenacting for 20 years, WW2, WW1, and now old West.  I have also been in 9 local films (All of them Westerns).

The place on my foot was 25% smaller when it was examined yesterday! The new treatment regimen appears to be working well!!

Do I smell smoke??

12 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The place on my foot was 25% smaller when it was examined yesterday! The new treatment regimen appears to be working well!!

Do I smell smoke??

That's excellent 

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Do I smell smoke??

Black Gold main match is only 2 days and 10 stages this year. Should be a little easier on ya. See you there I hope.

I started SASS after I retired in 2019. Taught myself to shoot Outlaw in 2020. I shoot twice a month plus Kentucky, Alabama, and Tennessee State matches plus Black Gold and the SE Regional. I'd like to get to Georgia State, the Bushwhack, Ides, and a match at Paradise Pass. I sleep in my camper topper to save money when available at the range. Plus I get to hang out with the other campers. 

16 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Do I smell smoke??

Listen here Blackwater you old buzzard bait, when I am traveling around the states I plan on meeting some you SASS member and you happen to be one of them. As ornery and cantankerous as you are my plan is to give you the biddest ration of bovine  feces  that I can muster up, then go shooting with you. Now I don't  want to here that whining and crying feces how your big tow or something else hurting to get out of shooting with me.

:P:D:lol:

I’ll be at Black Gold for sure and hopefully at Tennessee , Kentucky, and Georgia state matches this spring/summer.

Whether or not I’m shooting depends on how much my foot is healed up!

Archived