SASS Wire Forum

Saloonatics question

Rye Miles #13621

Okay how many of you still attend Cowboy shoots and how many of you just come here for the fun or conversation or debates??

I still go to about 2-3 shoots a month from April to Nov. I also go to a few indoor cowboy shoots in the winter. I also attend a couple 3 day events.

Rye

I'm ashamed to say that I don't shoot much anymore. I'd LIKE to get back into it, but finances being what they are, it's just not happening right now. If and when the economy gets back to something approaching normal, I'd like to get back to it. 

Failing that, I still like to come here to converse with mostly like minded people such as yourselves. Besides, SOME of you make me look normal by comparison.

I try to shoot several times a month.  Not only CAS, but IDPA , NRL22 and 3gun. 

That said, since November, I've shot twice. All have been on hold or missed because of illness or injury.  And I'm feeling it more and more.

Right now , I am so busted up , I can not make it through a match , trying to get the back pain in check 

Riled the DRs , QUIT the script , as to pain meds , messed with the mind? too much , some will ask what mind 

I have beat the DRs projections for 40 , years , and will do so again 

got stuff to do , and promises made I have to make happen , 

CB 

I'm way down in my shooting the past couple years. I think I shot three matches last year. Maybe four. Kaya shot one or two of those with me. Took a new job and started working on my cabin as well. Honestly thought I was dying so I worked on getting my affairs in order, like the cabin, my investments, etc. Doc's all say I've got a goodly amount of time left IF I change my ways. So I am.

Can’t play cowboy anymore.  Arthritis prevents performance at a competitive level.  I enjoyed CAS when I could do it reasonably well, but when it became a source of frustration, I knew I was done.  Sold my cowboy guns to local friends.  They were excellent guns, deserve to be used.  I still shoot my S&Ws at an indoor range once or twice a week; still trying to learn how to squeeze the trigger.  Very relaxing.  It’s fun to make small groups next to a shooter with a semi-auto who is spraying and praying.

I was shooting twice a month but life got in the way and I stopped in November. Weather has been uncooperative since, but I did shoot last week with the intention of shooting at least once a month, perhaps more as temperatures climb. Our club shoots year round, but I've found that my tolerance for cold weather has greatly diminished. I just don't like standing in the cold when it's below 45 degrees.

I gave up on Wild Bunch when the cost and availability of components went nuts. That's a lot of large pistol primers to burn thru in a match.

I have a large supply of real black powder and stocked up on BP bullets when Springfield Slim announced he was getting out of the casting business. I'm looking forward to making lots of smoke and flame this year.

The schedule this year looks like 14 or so monthlies spread out over 3 clubs, the Illinois State shoot, the BP shoot at Paradise Pass, and one other 3-day annual.  We also are fortunate to have weekly cowboy practices at the Milan Rifle Club on Tuesday evenings and Friday mornings.  I usually do just a few of those as well.  You'd think that with all those rounds downrange, I'd get better at this, but...!

CS

I haven’t shot a whole match in over two years now. I can’t seem to stay healed up long enough to get to where I’m satisfied with my balance and stamina.

I still run a few rounds through something when I get the chance.

I’ve about decided that I’m going to shoot the Black Gold Shootout this year if it means I hafta’ spend the next couple of months in the hospital afterwards!!

I'm a fair weather shooter, so if the weather sucks, I stay home.  Generally I make 2 or 3  annuals shoots and 4 or 5 monthly.

I usually I have fun when I get there, but I've found it harder to summon up the motivation to get up and go to the shoot.  Been doing this since 1997 so I suppose I am suffering a little from burn out

I haven’t shot a match in over 2 years. Since before I busted my wrist and had surgery. It seems like every 2 years I manage to get myself hurt by crashing my bike, getting hurt or having surgery for something. It sure puts a dent in my plans, that’s for sure. 

I have to admit that these past few years of shooting CAS, when I can, I just don’t find my heart is really in it anymore. SASS isn’t what it once was. Now it’s 10-10-4+ with various sweeps on targets that are embarrassingly close. It seems the main goal is to see how fast we can get the match over with vs having a good safe time cowboy action shooting with friends. 
I have honestly been debating on dropping out completely. We’ll see. 

I do go to the range once or twice a week to shoot my pistols and revolvers. I was doing Indoor GSSF matches and I may do some more outdoor GSSF matches in the future. 
I am hoping this Spring to find a rifle range to shoot my long guns just for fun. 

I have rekindled my love of fishing and hunting since moving here. I plan to spend a lot of time fishing this year. West Virginia has some of the nicest and best trout streams and rivers and I intend to make the best of them. :)
Spring turkey season is a couple months away. I am definitely looking forward to that. 
This summer I plan to travel lots of the country roads here on my motorcycle and in my roadster. I have fishing gear set up for both, just in case I come upon a really nice fishing area. 

Not enough shooting in my life. Too much BS, I mean work, to attend as many matches and monthlies as I'd like.

Trying to do at least one monthly monthly and 3 big matches this year. I'm set up for WB and love it, just cannot find the time.

In our little corner of the world you can shoot every weekend and even during the week! After Bordertown we do slow down, November and December are holiday months with the potential for traveling or receiving friends and relatives.

CAS is like baseball for us, if it's cold or rainy we'd rather not play.

Most beer coolers are around 40 degrees. Great for beer, not so much for us to shoot. We have noticed during colder months there sometimes is a considerable temperature difference between 9:30AM and 11:30AM. Maybe a later start time for colder months? Just thinking out loud. I'm sure there are many other factors for a club to consider.

Depending on the schedule, we may just shoot on our property, which we really enjoy.

Shortcake is not a Wire person. She uses Facebook and texting to keep up with other cowgirls.  

We do love the folks we meet.

I was glad to see two of my mentors on this thread. Deans of the Darkside @J-BAR #18287and @Count Sandor, SASS #74075!

I haven’t missed the Ohio State Match since I started shooting it however many years back, and I don’t intend to start missing it anytime soon. Other than that, I get to the local club for as many monthlies as my schedule and wallet allow. This year I would like to get to another club or two and shoot also.

In spite of our climate, political and weather wise, we have a couple of winter shoots and a good number of Spring, Summer and fall matches with the four area clubs each hosting one match each month.

I load in the winter and get out to them all, plus my practice days during the week.

It doesn't help my times any and  I've tried everything I but I have fun.

Bribing the scorekeeper.jpg

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

I'm a fair weather shooter, so if the weather sucks, I stay home.  Generally I make 2 or 3  annuals shoots and 4 or 5 monthly.

I usually I have fun when I get there, but I've found it harder to summon up the motivation to get up and go to the shoot.  Been doing this since 1997 so I suppose I am suffering a little from burn out

Okay,so long as you don't miss the Boil.:P

I shoot as much as possible. I have a range in the back yard now for practice. From 1994 to 1998, I practiced every Monday and sometimes 2 twice a week, and shot every weekend I had available traveling to one or 2 matches a weekend. Now with the price of things and my limited income, I have to pick and chose how much practice and how many matches i can attend. if the income gets better this year, I may get back to 1 or 2 matches a week and practice every day for an hour. I usually check the wire every couple days, ( classified 1-2 time a day if possible) but never spent that much time on it unless I was laid up. Soon I will know how much shooting i can get in this year depending on $$$.

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I still try to make at least one shoot per month. Sometimes two.

Once it warms up a tad, I shoot muzzleloader once a week up the street with 6 other old farts! Otherwise here and there in the back yard. Will be better when Ellie can back to shooting. Did get her out there with my Wranglers a couple weeks ago. She had some fun, but misses CAS.

My home club started a “Rimfire challenge shoot” in addition to the cowboy shoots. Once a month starting in April! Almost as much fun as Cowboy. I shot that last year, missed only one.B)

Two matches a month from September to May, then one match a month as its only a few miles away. Stopped going to bigger matches after 2020. Do I miss the fun and friendship, sure I do. Just isn't worth the money for match fees and hotel fees. Mainly hotel fees although State match fees have risen also. I have to pick what I spend limited income on, multi-day matches were high on the list.

There was (about) a 20+ year period where I went to 4 monthly matches and 2+ larger/multi-day/State matches a year...just can't do it financially anymore. Missed it at first...not so much now.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I haven’t shot a match in over 2 years. Since before I busted my wrist and had surgery. It seems like every 2 years I manage to get myself hurt by crashing my bike, getting hurt or having surgery for something. It sure puts a dent in my plans, that’s for sure. 

I have to admit that these past few years of shooting CAS, when I can, I just don’t find my heart is really in it anymore. SASS isn’t what it once was. Now it’s 10-10-4+ with various sweeps on targets that are embarrassingly close. It seems the main goal is to see how fast we can get the match over with vs having a good safe time cowboy action shooting with friends. 
I have honestly been debating on dropping out completely. We’ll see. 

I do go to the range once or twice a week to shoot my pistols and revolvers. I was doing Indoor GSSF matches and I may do some more outdoor GSSF matches in the future. 
I am hoping this Spring to find a rifle range to shoot my long guns just for fun. 

I have rekindled my love of fishing and hunting since moving here. I plan to spend a lot of time fishing this year. West Virginia has some of the nicest and best trout streams and rivers and I intend to make the best of them. :)
Spring turkey season is a couple months away. I am definitely looking forward to that. 
This summer I plan to travel lots of the country roads here on my motorcycle and in my roadster. I have fishing gear set up for both, just in case I come upon a really nice fishing area. 

Hunting deer, hunting turkeys', fishing for bluegill, perch, crappies in warm and cold weather. Working on the cabin with my wife. Only so much time in the day.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Okay,so long as you don't miss the Boil.:P

I may not shoot the Boil this year.  There is a wedding I have to go to and I won't know until I get the actual wedding invitation if I'll be able to make it.

Even if I do make it, definitely no pot luck for me.  Not fair to the dog to leave her locked up that long.

3 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I was glad to see two of my mentors on this thread. Deans of the Darkside @J-BAR #18287and @Count Sandor, SASS #74075!

Judging from the Illinois State shoot, you have learned well Grasshopper!

CS

15 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I may not shoot the Boil this year.  There is a wedding I have to go to and I won't know until I get the actual wedding invitation if I'll be able to make it.

Even if I do make it, definitely no pot luck for me.  Not fair to the dog to leave her locked up that long.

I hear that with the dog! Hope you're able to make it or at least stop by. If you only stop by, bring that Rottie with you! 

I haven’t shot a match or really anything else in a few years. I’m a fall risk with arthritic hands and I just don’t feel safe enough to shoot 

Just now, Henry T Harrison said:

I haven’t shot a match or really anything else in a few years. I’m a fall risk with arthritic hands and I just don’t feel safe enough to shoot 

That’s happening to more and more of us. I’ve gone to a two handed grip instead of duelist because of arthritis. I take a couple Advil or Aleve before each shoot.

Good luck to you I hope you find some relief. B)

We haven't shot in a few years now.  Trying to find a club here to shoot at, as well as clothing as we've gotten a bit "fluffier" since we last shot.  Hope to do so soon before the weather gets too hot to shoot.

I'm like some of these guys, my job before I retired prevented me from shooting. And I had a couple medical issues that I needed to take care of before I shoot again, almost there but not quite 

I’ve slowed down quite a bit in the number of CAS matches that I attend. For the first 12 years or so I probably shot 4-5 matches per month and made it to  lots of big multi day matches. Some family health issues and other life obstacles got in the way and now days I’ll shoot a match or 2 a month when I get enthused. I really like the close, big, fast stages and like the way the game has evolved.

Archived