SASS Wire Forum

Shrovetide

Subdeacon Joe

On this day, Shrove Tuesday, I wish my brethren of Western Christianity, Have a good Lent.

An image for Shrove Tuesday
May be an illustration

Shrovetide is depicted riding on an #ox and armed with a spit full of roasted meats, a gridiron on his back, wrapped in sausages and ready to go into battle with Lent.

Big Red and I will be at Church tonight for a parish Supper of pancakes and Maple Syrup.

Does your Church do thtat as well?

4 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Big Red and I will be at Church tonight for a parish Supper of pancakes and Maple Syrup.

Does your Church do thtat as well?

Orthodox do things a bit differently.  This Sunday past was Meatfare Sunday, after which no meat, but dairy is allowed all week, even on Wednesday and Friday, so we had a Blini feed on Sunday, with bacon, sausage, pickled herring, and the pancakes.  
Sunday upcoming is Cheesefare, and the Sunday of Forgiveness, after which all vertebrate products are proscribed.  

Some parts of the Slavic lands have a whole week of festival called Maslenitsa.  

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Some parts of the Slavic lands have a whole week of festival called Maslenitsa.  

Went to a Maslenitsa festival in Kyiv once. That year the Eastern and Western celebrations coincided. There was a whole village celebrating with folk art, dancing, music and food, cooking over a wood fire.

Archived