SASS Wire Forum

Naming Pets

Subdeacon Joe

For the last 30 or so years I let my pets name themselves. I just wait till they tell me what their name is.

My last cocker spaniel - he was maybe four months old when he came walking out of the bathroom one day with a peculiar stiff-legged gait, and informed me that he was the reincarnation of John Wayne. Knowing that John Wayne would not lie to me about something like that, I started calling him Duke.

Used to have a beagle whose name was Fat Mama. Dog that looked like a miniature boxer - her name was Trouble. And then there is my current dog, Worthless.

I named the last dog I owned Alex after the Stroh's commercial. Smartest and most loyal dog that I ever owned. We were going to name him Joe after Joe Montana seeing as I adopted him from the pound the day before the Super Bowl with the 49ers and Bengals at Miami in 1989. He was a cross between a Black Lab and a Dobie as far as we could tell.

I thought it would be a good idea to teach him to bring me a beer from the fridge, kind of like the commercial. I tied a dishtowel to the fridge handle so he could open it. It only took him once to learn how to open the fridge. I thought to myself, what's he gonna do when I'm not home? I knew what the answer was, I'd come home to raided fridge and a torpedo of a dog laying on the kitchen floor. We canned that idea.

I really miss that dog.

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I named the last dog I owned Alex after the Stroh's commercial. Smartest and most loyal dog that I ever owned. We were going to name him Joe after Joe Montana seeing as I adopted him from the pound the day before the Super Bowl with the 49ers and Bengals at Miami in 1989. He was a cross between a Black Lab and a Dobie as far as we could tell.

I thought it would be a good idea to teach him to bring me a beer from the fridge, kind of like the commercial. I tied a dishtowel to the fridge handle so he could open it. It only took him once to learn how to open the fridge. I thought to myself, what's he gonna do when I'm not home? I knew what the answer was, I'd come home to raided fridge and a torpedo of a dog laying on the kitchen floor. We canned that idea.

I really miss that dog.

That’s funny. A friend of mine tried training his dog the same way  They came home to an open fridge with an empty lunch meat / cheese drawer. :lol:
Drago was asleep in the middle of their bed. 

the Black Lab I had many years back , would raid any unattended beer he saw

had to keep your beer on the amp , during a practice /jam session , or Dummy . would have it 

He would also steal tools when you were doing any work around the place , you would find em all in a pile about 25 ft from where ya were working 

CB 

Got a dog from a local no kill shelter.  He had been neutered and had his shots and was healthy.  We were told he was along haired chihuahua and the called him Peanut.  He even came with a little straw sombrero.  He was a fuzzy little rascal and just what we wanted, so we took him home.  

A month or so later he was growing into something bigger than a chihuahua.  The shelter called us and told us that they had received some papers on him and was a purebred smooth-haired Portuguese Podengo Medio, and he had been turned over to the shelter because his markings didn't let him be "show quality."  Didn't bother him a bit.  The kids loved him and he took care of the family, but it was pretty obvious he was MY dog.

After awhile he stopped growing at about 45 pounds and was an absolutely beautiful dog and a natural  practical joker.  We kept on calling him Peanut because he was  a big goofy goober.

He only had one fault: everything he ate turned to hair.  He was the sheddingest dog I ever saw.

He had to be put down because he got a cancer that couldn't be cured.  He was 14 yearsold.  That was twelve years ago and I still miss him.

My present dog is a chihuahua min-pin mix.  She was a rescue that had been running loose for about a year and a half .  The shelter had named her Ethel.  Not in my house.  I didn't want Lucy, Ricky, Fred and the rest showing up, so we called  her dog, puppy, or hey you until Curly Cole and Phylis came from California for a visit.  The dog took off down the hall and came back with a toy that she dropped in Phylis's lap and then jumped up beside it and began licking.

Phylis said "she's quite a little tornado, isn't she" and Tony (Curly) asked "where did you get that little trinket?"

I looked at Shawna (my wife) and she looked at me and the dog became Trinket The Tornado then and there.  Little mutt just turned nine and everywhere she goes she draws people like a magnet.  Cutest, friendliest and dumbest dog I ever saw, but we are joined at the hip now.

Ours are all named after firearms! The Rottweiler is "Kimber", the cats are "Smith & Wesson".

Just don't name your dog "Stain". :lol:

Got a 4-month old male English Cocker puppy about three weeks ago. Wife named him Jeffrey. She just said he looks like a Jeffrey.  Don't know what that means. Dog has pretty much paper-trained himself, but also likes to tear the "Wee-wee Pads". He will chew through wires, if we don't have things in front of them, and almost anything else, in spite of having enough dog toys for a dozen dogs.  He also wants to play with our 12-year old female (spayed) cockapoo, named Lucy.  She is getting used to him...slowly.  We think she still mourns her kennel-mate, Chiquita (chihauha-terrier mix) whom we had to put down just before Christmas, after a year-and-a-half treating her for cancer. She was 13).  Lucy will play with Jeffrey a little, but when she gets tired will jump up on her recliner chair, and/or will growl at him until he backs away. I tried to dissuade my wife from getting a puppy during the winter months, but she saw Jeffrey at a pet store, and fell in love with him!  Jeffrey is black with streaks of white, which I understand is ca;lled "blue merle".  Cute dog, but rambunctious.  Very smart...if he doesn't eat something he finds, including the caps on our doorstops! We had some landscaping done in our backyard (between snow storms...it was much less expensive now than later). Jeffrey saw the workers in the yard through the window, and barked his head off at them.  Didn't like them in his yard, I guess.  I think he'll be a good watchdog, if we survive his puppyhood! 

Dogs name themselves or one of the little ones does it for them.

Auggie T Doggie got the moniker from my now 4 year old great nephew that couldn't say 'doggy' and the T part comes from a family joke of giving dogs middle names- Thomas for the males and Marie for the females.

Cats, on the other hand, I believe in intentionally naming.

I give them silly or stupid names since they rarely come when called and it's a way to get a little back. 

For example, Mr Tinkles- a muscle bound tomcat that had a head bigger than a softball that- if scratched under the chin- would turn into a purring puddle of fur, or his petite tabby mother, Itty Bitty Kitty.

Well let's see

I have a male blue tick hound reminds me of Jethro from the Beverly  hillbilly so that's his name.

Then we have a Rhodesian Ridgeback German Shepard mix the people we got her from caller her hellion, my wife didn't like that so she named her daisy, should have keep the Name hellion

You'll like this one. Got a red bone hound from a co worker, he couldn't  keep her any more. He called her blue, ask him why blue he didn't know how to answer the question. So I named her Bluebell. Ya thought it sounded better then just blue.20230101_130553.thumb.png.5f36bf18a264c03c42bb2e63bcedead7.png

My Dad said always name a dog with a hard consonant like B. That way when you yell at them to “come back here” the sound explodes from you mouth. It is more difficult with a soft consonant like S.  As a result I was raised by a Collie named Bruce. At least that’s what my Mom said.

When we had our boys and decided to get them a pet. We got a Party Poodle (not a solid color, I.e. black & white markings). My wife had asthma and we needed a dog that would not aggravate her condition. So Patches was named for his markings. We used to take him camping at a site owned by my employer. The fellow on the next site would come over to gab and look at Patches and say “Hello Lunch”. Patches loved almost everybody he met but he really hated that guy. At 13 nearly blind, totally deaf and so arthritic I carried him down the stairs to the backyard to do his business we sadly let him go over the bridge.
I read somewhere here in the Saloon “don’t let your pet pass alone”. My wife and sat with Patches and held him on our laps until he breathed his last. Whether he knew he was going or not, he knew we were there with him.

Thanks for listening, 

CJ 

for the first eighteen years of my life i was blessed with shepherds  my folks bought for us and they named them , there was a lull till my first wife took a fancy to black Pekinese , two that she named , then another lull till my present wife decided she wanted a Yorke i didnt name him either but all have been some of my best friends in sickness and health , i doubt ill ever name one - if this one lives as long as i do , very good chance of that , 

I'll go way back to my first pet, a parakeet name "Mickey", he wound up flying away when someone left the door open. I got a second one and he was also Mickey. I didn't have a pet until I got married and we got a little puppy who was pretty sick, we nursed him back to health and he was named Bravo! I had a collie named Shannon, a mutt named Barney who we gave up due to a divorce.  I later had two cats, Spock and Ayla! Ayla was named after the main character in Clan of the Cave bear book and movie. Spock was a lynx siamese who's ears stood up a little higher than normal so he was Spock. They were half brother and sister. They lived 20 years and had a littler of 4! Incest is common in animals!:P

Dogs, birds, cats and a skunk named "Fleur". She was the cutest, cuddliest little girl and adored my wife's lap. She'd walk nicely on her leash but once on the grass, (tickling her belly??) she'd start to bounce like PEPI Le PEW. Pin-pong balls to play with at night, batting them around the kitchen until she got tired of that and wanted up in bed with Sherron and I. (She was de-scented. Fleur, not my wife Sherron!)

Bonnie-Boy, a Cocker Spaniel, that spent as much time in the air with my Father as many pilots; Tippy, a curly tailed terrier, (Her nails clicked on the floor); Mugsy, a Bichon Frieze named by my Mother, when she saw his cute face as a pup; Joannie a near blind, diabetic miniature schnauzer rescue and Timothy Alouis, a budgie, i caught outside after he escaped from somewhere, who thought he was human and who we taught to talk a blue streak, then would not shut up!

Too old a crippled up now to walk a dog and Big Red and I are allergic to cats, so sadly, nothing to spoil now.

14 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

My Dad said always name a dog with a hard consonant like B. That way when you yell at them to “come back here” the sound explodes from you mouth. It is more difficult with a soft consonant like S.  As a result I was raised by a Collie named Bruce. At least that’s what my Mom said.

When we had our boys and decided to get them a pet. We got a Party Poodle (not a solid color, I.e. black & white markings). My wife had asthma and we needed a dog that would not aggravate her condition. So Patches was named for his markings. We used to take him camping at a site owned by my employer. The fellow on the next site would come over to gab and look at Patches and say “Hello Lunch”. Patches loved almost everybody he met but he really hated that guy. At 13 nearly blind, totally deaf and so arthritic I carried him down the stairs to the backyard to do his business we sadly let him go over the bridge.
I read somewhere here in the Saloon “don’t let your pet pass alone”. My wife and sat with Patches and held him on our laps until he breathed his last. Whether he knew he was going or not, he knew we were there with him.

Thanks for listening, 

CJ 

DO NOT let your pet pass alone.  A per has always been there for me so I owe it be there for them.  I honestly pray that my little dog dies before I do.  She has never been intentionally hurt, scolded, mistreated in any way, ignored nor left alone for more than a few days (but always with someone to care for and comfort her), or never had a time in her life when I wasn't there.  My wife's death nearly destroyed that dog, but we got past it together and I believe I can handle her death better than she could handle mine.

I was in the room when any of my pets had to be put down. I was petting them as they left this earth. :(

My first rotti was named Merlin after a type of hawk, turned out he was a magician and there wasn’t a harness or collar made that he couldn’t get out of, second rotti was named Rollie, you can imagine how that ended up, my next rotti I’m going to really think things over carefully before I name him !

Archived