SASS Wire Forum

New to me Civil War rifle!

Cyrus Cassidy #45437

I just bought this model 1861 Colt Special.  It looks like a model 1863 Springfield because Colt was contracted to make the model 1861 when the war broke out, and they decided to make a few design changes.  The Springfield Armory liked the changes and adopted them; the rifle with those changes became the model 1863.  The two changes I know about are the S-shaped hammer (as opposed to the original C-shape) and a redesigned bolster that allowed for better ignition and did not have a clean-out screw.

I plan to have this bore scoped to ensure it is safe to shoot.  Assuming it passes, I'll be shooting it!  I have a few questions for the tribe:

- If you have experience using the Lyman or RCBS minie ball moulds, which one do you prefer?

- If I was to buy a reproduction sling, how would that be perceived by the collecting crowd?

- I also have an original bayonet in immaculate condition (not pictured).  If I bought a reproduction scabbard, how would that be perceived by the collecting crowd?

- Does the wood look refinished?  The inspector cartouches are very strong and there is no evidence of sanding. 

rifle.jpg

action.jpg

I'd guess the stock has been refinished or regularly rubbed down with something like a museum quality oil and wax solution.

As to the leather accessories, get good quality and make sure it's a good reproduction and tell the stitch counters to go pound sand.

Hope it's a shooter.  If it is you'll learn to love it.

Given the condition of the barrel and lock, I would suspect the stock has been refinished at some point.a repro scabbard is fine.

Except in the higher echelons of collecting.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Given the condition of the barrel and lock, I would suspect the stock has been refinished at some point.a repro scabbard is fine.

Except in the higher echelons of collecting.

It's definitely not varnished, which would make it obvious.  It's an oil-based finish, like linseed oil or something, which is the original style.  I should take some close-ups of the cartouches--they are strong.  So I'm at least confident that it hasn't been sanded.  I think someone may have cleaned gunk off with acetone or lacquer thinner and put some more oil on it, which is actually recommended by Mike Venturino.  So I'm happy with it, as long as it passes inspection to be a shooter.  NO SAFE QUEENS for me!

12 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

The two changes I know about are the S-shaped hammer (as opposed to the original C-shape) and a redesigned bolster that allowed for better ignition and did not have a clean-out screw.

The barrel bands are held on by screws like a 1853 Enfield. The 1861 used spring retainers like the french guns.

I have a reproduction but have never shot it.

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The barrel bands are held on by screws like a 1853 Enfield. The 1861 used spring retainers like the french guns.

I have a reproduction but have never shot it.

Nope, there is a Type I and a Type II for the 1861 and the 1863.  The difference in types is how the barrel band secures. 

Secondly, you're referencing the Springfield.  This is a Colt, made under contract.

13 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Secondly, you're referencing the Springfield.  This is a Colt, made under contract.

I can't find any reference to type 1 or type 2. I can only find Colt changed the barrel bands and Springfield followed suit in the 1863. Mine is a Colt marked reproduction , made under license, by somebody. Like this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/971932602

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I can't find any reference to type 1 or type 2. I can only find Colt changed the barrel bands and Springfield followed suit in the 1863. Mine is a Colt marked reproduction , made under license, by somebody. Like this one.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/971932602

"U.S. Military Small Arms: 1816-1865" by Robert M. Reilly.

And, they did not like the type II design (held by screws).  Even the 1863 model has some made with the spring detents.  My 1866 Allin conversion began life as an 1863, and was converted to a trapdoor by the armory after the end of the war.  It has the spring detents (type I).

nice looking rifle , i had one a bit older once but not in as nice of condition , i think as a reenactor or shooter it would serve well , as a collectible its probably not going to hit the top of the list - but those folks are looking for perfect - i would be proud of that as i was always looking for the ones that actually served in my military accumulation [i wanted nice but used] im well past that point in life now all mine are gone save a very few mostly handguns these days , i say congrats and ill second what others said above on the accoutrements - you do need a bayonet tho 

Archived