SASS Wire Forum

.22 Rimfire for Adults Category

Escopeta Jake

With the hard times finding cowboy ammo and loading components did anyone have their club offer an “adult” .22 Rimfire category ?

and if so what special allowances or rules did you use.

Recently, We have had several shooters express an interest in our sport and in shooting .22 Rimfire pistols and rifle in a match.

Thanks

Jake

some clubs offer a rimfire category, suggest you check out a few near you and find out.

We do it at our club.  Category is called Dueces Wild.  We let folks use 22 pistols and either 22 or regular SASS rifle and shotgun.

We lump all shooting styles into this so you could shoot Two Handed, Duelist, or Gunfighter so it's just a single category (of course ladies would have there own).

The biggest issue is when there are knockdowns, we provide extras for cleanup with a shotgun.

It's more for fun than anything else as a lot of 22 rifles seem to have issues, and reloads are problematic with a tube magazine.

Overall, I say do it!  It's was our biggest category at most of our monthly matches last year.

Now I just need to figure out how to make black powder 22s! :P

It's good fun.  A major limitation - not a lot of people have two single action revolvers in .22 anymore, and they are getting expensive.    Just let shooters know that they can't count on being able to use .22s at other locations, especially state or higher championships.  And be sure to use a sensitive timer to pick up rifle round reports around building fronts.

The gun acquisition costs mean hardly any of our locals are interested even when offered.   

good luck, GJ

11 hours ago, Escopeta Jake said:

With the hard times finding cowboy ammo and loading components did anyone have their club offer an “adult” .22 Rimfire category ?

No.

I have no problem making whatever reasonable accommodations are necessary to keep someone shooting.    I've seen several Cowboys shooting 22's over the last couple of years.  Some do it because they can't find Cowboy ammo and some do it just for a change.   It's doesn't detract from my experience at all.  Finding Cowboy ammo and components has been challenging for quite a while.  I'd rather see someone shoot 22's than have them sit at home or find another hobby.

I went and bought 2 Uberti Stallion revolvers in 22 and put lighter springs in them and then a Henry 22 rifle that I sent off and had tuned by Eric Slater (who does a great job on Henry 22's, his info available on request). It runs nice and smooth. As stated, reloads are usually ignored since it takes longer than 5 seconds to do it but it was fun. I shot them in 4 matches over the last couple of years so they don't get a lot of use but they are fun to shoot.

Texas Maverick

Like GJ said it was authorized locally with no takers.  Sensitive timers are needed as are attentive spotters.  We paint after every shooter and that helps to see light hits.  Even though reloading components have been available for months, I think it is best that .22s remain authorized for local matches.  Large scale armed conflict in the world may increase in the coming year making ammo and components even more scarce.

On 2/21/2023 at 11:39 AM, Texas Maverick said:

I went and bought 2 Uberti Stallion revolvers in 22 and put lighter springs in them and then a Henry 22 rifle that I sent off and had tuned by Eric Slater (who does a great job on Henry 22's, his info available on request). It runs nice and smooth. As stated, reloads are usually ignored since it takes longer than 5 seconds to do it but it was fun. I shot them in 4 matches over the last couple of years so they don't get a lot of use but they are fun to shoot.

Texas Maverick

The 'Slater' Henry is what some folks use to call the 'Widder Soft Stroke'' Henry because he took over those modifications after I retired.

He and I are great friends, our families go to the same Church, he and I travel to many shoots together, and he is a good

all around gunsmith.

AND.....I think he does fantastic work on those Henry .22 lever rifles.    If you want a slick Henry .22 with a great trigger job, contact

Eric Slater at 'Slaters In House Guns'.    Tell him ole Widder sent ya..... ;)

And because he is also a gun dealer, he can sell you a new Henry already set up and ready to run with all the speed you can

squeeze out of it.

..........Widder

The club I shoot at does offer and adult 22 category, and at least one dedicated member seems to always shoot it.  I am afraid offering an adult 22 category didn't do much to drum up new interest but hopefully it will at least keep existing shooters in the game through the primer shortage.   

21 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The 'Slater' Henry is what some folks use to call the 'Widder' Henry because he took over those modifications after I retired.

He and I are great friends, our families go to the same Church, he and I travel to many shoots together, and he is a good

all around gunsmith.

AND.....I think he does fantastic work on those Henry .22 lever rifles.    If you want a slick Henry .22 with a great trigger job, contact

And because he is also a gun dealer, he can sell you a new Henry already set up and ready to run with all the speed you can

squeeze out of it.

..........Widder

Widder,

He is truly a great gunsmith on the Henry. I really love what he did to mine. It is as smooth as my 73 codymatic. I just don't shoot it as much as I probably should and save my 38 rounds for the bigger matches. I shoot at two clubs that allow the 22's and we usually  have 1 or 2 shoot it every month. I have sent at least 3 or 4 guys to Eric for tuneups. I was referred to him by Whiskey Kid after checking his out.

Texas Maverick

39 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

The 'Slater' Henry is what some folks use to call the 'Widder' Henry because he took over those modifications after I retired.

all around gunsmith.

squeeze out of it.

..........Widder

I got one of those tuned Henry "Widder/Slatter" 22s and that thing runs like a scalded dog.....when Missouri Lefty is shooting it.  It runs about half that speed when I shoot it. :lol:

@Widder, SASS #59054 won't admit this in public but he gets some of his best story telling abilities from hanging around with @Slater's In House Guns.  Of course the master story makerupper, @Tennessee williams taught Slater! :D

Kajun

Our club offers a category for adults shooting .22s.  It is separate from the others.  We also offer a separate category for those having only one pistol.  Neither of these categories are eligible for overall match winner.

I've got 2 of those soft stroke Henry's done by Widder hisownself. One is mine and one is my daughter's. He charged me but didn't charge her. That scoundrel. The worst most thing about them, is they're kind of like a fast motorcycle. You have to really hang on to them or they'll run out from under you!

There used to be a primer shortage.  Now, there is no shortage.  They are just expensive.  Some people would rather shoot less expensive .22's, and that's okay with me.  There is no problem with timers picking up shots.  .22 pistols are loud and, at least around here, stages never end with rifle.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

all around gunsmith.

squeeze out of it.

..........Widder

I have a Widder Henry with a Slater trigger that was set up for my youngest.  It's very nice!!! 

Although Kid Flash has about 10 months of .22 eligibility left it looks like he'll be switching to centerfire within the next few months.  I plan to swap out to an uncut stock and keep the Henry and Wranglers for rimfire competitions. 

2 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I got one of those tuned Henry "Widder/Slatter" 22s and that thing runs like a scalded dog.....when Missouri Lefty is shooting it.  It runs about half that speed when I shoot it. :lol:

@Widder, SASS #59054 won't admit this in public but he gets some of his best story telling abilities from hanging around with @Slater's In House Guns.  Of course the master story makerupper, @Tennessee williams taught Slater! :D

Kajun

My Henry is also a Widder/Slater and  runs like a fine tuned watch. I love it!! However they didn't remove ALL the misses.:lol:

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My Henry is also a Widder/Slater and  runs like a fine tuned watch. I love it!! However they didn't remove ALL the misses.:lol:

Mine must be the twin of yours, they also forget to remove all the misses from mine as well. LOL

TM

A few of the clubs I go to offer a .22 category. They score them separately. I’ve done it a couple times, lots of fun.

2 minutes ago, Big Gus, SASS# 66666 said:

How can you tell if there is an empty chamber under the hammer in your handguns. 

My cylinder has some numbers on it in a certain place by a chamber so I know to leave it empty and place it under the hammer.

TM

11 minutes ago, Big Gus, SASS# 66666 said:

How can you tell if there is an empty chamber under the hammer in your handguns. 

I have a pair of Rough Riders, they have 4 clicks. I load them exactly like I do my Colts of course its hard for someone else to check!

2 hours ago, Big Gus, SASS# 66666 said:

Put a dot of fingernail polish on the cylinder outside the empty chamber.  Grease pencil will work too.  Just don't load that chamber  and you can easily set the cylinder on the empty chamber with the dot.

19 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

It's good fun.  A major limitation - not a lot of people have two single action revolvers in .22 anymore, and they are getting expensive.    Just let shooters know that they can't count on being able to use .22s at other locations, especially state or higher championships.  And be sure to use a sensitive timer to pick up rifle round reports around building fronts.

The gun acquisition costs mean hardly any of our locals are interested even when offered.   

good luck, GJ

i beg ito differ , a lot of us have a pair of revolvers and some of us have multiple pair as in more than two , and rifles as well , multiple choice options , granted a few are vintage or collectible but ive got one set or revolvers and rifle specifically bought for SASS with my grandkids - id like to see them get more use 

On 2/20/2023 at 5:32 PM, Escopeta Jake said:

We have had several shooters express an interest in our sport and in shooting .22 Rimfire pistols and rifle in a match.

beg ito differ , a lot of us have a pair of revolvers

My comments were in answer to the above initial post that was RE: supporting potential new shooters, which I think the original post was all about.  Not the existing SASS shooters, many of whom have brought up kids or grandkids with .22 revolvers, and may still have those revolvers in the gun safe.   But new shooters already having a brace of 22s and a lever rifle?  Not very likely.

I understand lots of EXISTING members may have them, but then again, most of them are already shooting centerfire guns.   That's our experience around here, where we have and continue to send lots of pards to high level matches, and they don't do .22 competition practice.

I can talk about our local clubs' experience, but not about yours.  I'm sure yours is different.

good luck, GJ

Archived