SASS Wire Forum

We were right baldwin is getting a pass

watab kid

To be fair, this case is really similar to the accidental shooting of Brandon Lee on the set of "The Crow" in 1993. The actor that shot Lee (Michael Massee) was not charged with anything, and Lee's death was ruled as "accident due to negligence".

While I dislike Alec Baldwin (based on his personal views and such), there is no clear precedent for charging him with manslaughter or anything else that would involve a prison term. So I don't think he is getting any special treatment, or at least no more than anyone else in Hollyweird.

It even appears that the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the dead cinematographer's husband has already been settled. Again, similar to Lee, where his mother sued the studio for wrongful death and received an undisclosed settlement.

No.  While I despise the POS, the firearm enhancement law they charged him with did not exist when the shooting occurred.  

1 hour ago, Pariah, SASS #26619 said:

So I don't think he is getting any special treatment, or at least no more than anyone else in Hollyweird.

That right there is wrong. If that had been me or a lot of other people in Baldwin place, I would be looking at 20 years. So he is getting a freebe

3 hours ago, Chantry said:
3 hours ago, Chantry said:

No.  While I despise the POS, the firearm enhancement law they charged him with did not exist when the shooting occurred.  

Precisely.  Prosecutor's error.  Not a "free ride", but rather an offense that did not exist at the time he was charged.

He still faces a possibility of 18 months in the can; hardly a free ride.

LL

Today's lesson: when you are charged with a crime, hire good lawyers. Don't matter what anybody says as long as they do their job.

Baldwin's personality is irrelevant. He has several defenses. The prosecutor's ex-post-facto enhancement charge is Keystone Cops stuff.

Nobody's opinion matters at all except the judge's and the jury's.

My opinion matters…at the box office and my TV remote. Alec Baldwin hasn’t seen a royalty from me in many years. I am more than happy to continue this practice. 

I hope he lives a very long life…filled with health problems and infirmities and incontinence and care takers that don’t care…and then he dies horribly and goes straight to hell. 

8 hours ago, Chantry said:

One person still died, and another was injured and there was negligence involved.  That spells NEGLIGENT MANSLAUGHTER (NM).   They can paint it any way they want, but the spelling is the same.   If you accidentally run a red light and somebody dies, it is "NM" and in that case, the evident intent is much less than pointing a gun at somebody's head and having it accidently fire.  But with that said,  I do think that the negligence likely involved more than just Baldwin.  I really wouldn't want to be on this jury. 

10 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

One person still died, and another was injured and there was negligence involved.  That spells NEGLIGENT MANSLAUGHTER (NM).   They can paint it any way they want, but the spelling is the same.   If you accidentally run a red light and somebody dies, it is "NM" and in that case, the evident intent is much less than pointing a gun at somebody's head and having it accidently fire.  But with that said,  I do think that the negligence likely involved more than just Baldwin.  I really wouldn't want to be on this jury. 

The POS is still being charged with involuntary manslaughter (or the New Mexico equivalent).  As I stated in my post above  the firearm enhancement law they charged him with did not exist when the shooting occurred.  The prosecutor correctly recognizes that a judge would have tossed the firearm enhancement charge as soon as the defense made a motion.

I'll note that a brief search shows that the maximum sentence of 18 months for involuntary manslaughter is about average.

Based on what has been mentioned so far by the idiots in the press, the case against Baldwin seems pretty strong.  The armorer probably gets found not guilty if the reports of her being told to go help somewhere else when the shooting occurred are true.  The question is did the 1st assistant director take a plea deal in return for testimony against either or both Baldwin and the armorer?

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My opinion matters…at the box office and my TV remote. Alec Baldwin hasn’t seen a royalty from me in many years. I am more than happy to continue this practice. 

There are very few people in todays world that follow this practice, as once was. I hear and read all type of excuses from well he makes good movies, etc. The bottom line is, by buying a ticket or watching later, gives support to the actor(s) and their behavior's. I bet bottom dollar when the movie is finished, voyagers and curiosity seekers will buy tickets and the movie will be a hit in way of making money and Baldwin will continue in his privileged standing. 

I commend you.

The armorer's job was to secure the guns and ensure they were safe to handle. She should have handed the pistol to Baldwin as a safe pistol for whatever scenes or practice scenes were being performed. The guy that took a plea deal subverted that process by getting the pistol from the unsecured cart. Baldwin's larger role in the production of the film and it's safety is where his liability lies. 

I'll be shocked if he gets to wear an orange jump suit. He'll get off on some technicality and the armorer will take the fall. I'd still like to hear where the live ammo came from and from who. They should share the responsibility. Bottom line AB was the shooter and the man in charge, but I bet he walks free. Even if there are law suits, it will be chump change for his POS arse.:ph34r:

4 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I'll be shocked if he gets to wear an orange jump suit. He'll get off on some technicality and the armorer will take the fall. I'd still like to hear where the live ammo came from and from who. They should share the responsibility. Bottom line AB was the shooter and the man in charge, but I bet he walks free. Even if there are law suits, it will be chump change for his POS arse.:ph34r:

That is a key point for me also.  Anytime I've been involved in force on force training using actual firearms, all ammunition was locked away and all participants were frisked by the training officer to ensure no magazines, speed loaders or loose rounds were on our persons, and each gun was inspected and marked by the training officer prior to anything else happening.. 

How a loaded round got into a prop gun on a set is unthinkable to me.

21 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I hope he lives a very long life…filled with health problems and infirmities and incontinence and care takers that don’t care…and then he dies horribly and goes straight to hell. 

Don't sugar coat it...

:D

i get all the legal aspects of this  ........and disregarding my personal thoughts of his way of thinking .......but 

he did pull the trigger , it was a SAA , we all know that , 

he did point it at another person , i could care less who he is - you dont point a gun at someone unless you intend to shoot them , 

letting just the armorer take the fall is not right - none of us would walk away from a thing like this , 

On 2/20/2023 at 7:05 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Today's lesson: when you are charged with a crime, hire good lawyers. Don't matter what anybody says as long as they do their job.

Baldwin's personality is irrelevant. He has several defenses. The prosecutor's ex-post-facto enhancement charge is Keystone Cops stuff.

Nobody's opinion matters at all except the judge's and the jury's.

+infinity

Archived