SASS Wire Forum

Original Cooler Cowboy Shirt

Rum Crook, SASS #55339

With warmer weather coming up I am looking to buy one of the Original Cooler Cowboy Shirts (Henley style).  Have you tried one and did you like it, and if so, where did you buy it?  I found a website for J. Hornady Dry Goods that claims they are the manufacturer of the Original Cooler Cowboy Shirt, and it is manufactured in North Carolina, and the website indicates it is located in North Carolina.  But when I selected a shirt and put in my zip code to get an estimate on shipping, it showed 2 foreign locations as well as the correct US location.  After I saw that, I went back to look at the "ABOUT" information for the site, and I got a msg to select the correct language to see the info.

So, I am suspicious about the website, so would like to know where you may have purchased this type of shirt.

J. Hornady has been around for quite a while.  I just Googled their site and it says not secure.  Maybe they are having problems with hackers.  To you question I live in the desert and it is often 110+ with very low humidity.  I bought four of the shirts and to me (and I emphasize to ME) I do not like what feels like hot dry nylon on my skin.  In extremely hot weather I prefer good old cotton.  In climates with high humidity sweat may make them feel different.

I bought one 12 years ago and it is holding up well. Works nice in New England weather. A little baggy and sleeves are a bit long. Had to return for a larger size when I originally ordered. Bigger was better than tight! I've heard that the sizing is better nowadays.

I'm in Florida. It may get hotter other places but it doesn't get much more hotter and more humid than here. I had one, gave it away. Just made me feel much hotter but that type of material always does for me. Give me cotton anytime.

I bought one last year. It had a somewhat stiff nylon feel but if there is a breeze it works great. The sleeves can be slid up and they stay up as the cuffs are elastic. I'm a big guy and a championship sweater if it's over 70. 

41 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'm in Florida. It may get hotter other places but it doesn't get much more hotter and more humid than here. I had one, gave it away. Just made me feel much hotter but that type of material always does for me. Give me cotton anytime.

I beg to differ!!

The Texas gulf coast can match anywhere for heat & humidity!

We live in a SAUNA most of the year!!

16 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I beg to differ!!

The Texas gulf coast can match anywhere for heat & humidity!

We live in a SAUNA most of the year!!

No need to differ, it's about the same as Florida. Not pleasant at all.

I own 3 of them - Guess I would say it depends on the weather & the person wearing them.  Some people like them, some don't.  I do agree that a bit larger is better when wearing them.  I like mine but I also like my cotton shirts.

I own 4 of the Hornady shirts, love them. I live in Kansas where it is hot and humid and have found the material these shirts are made of wicks the sweat away and is way cooler than my cotton shirts, they are my go to shirts from June to august, ymmv.

1 hour ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I thought they had stopped selling these shirts?

They started selling them again and have a limited inventory on their website. I say limited because the no longer have the ones with pockets available as a stock item. It can be special ordered though for a hiqher price.

I own about five, all with the pocket and button sleeves. I shoot with 2 people that completely hate them and six people that love them.

On 2/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, Eyesa Horg said:

I bought one 12 years ago and it is holding up well. Works nice in New England weather. A little baggy and sleeves are a bit long. Had to return for a larger size when I originally ordered. Bigger was better than tight! I've heard that the sizing is better nowadays.

So are these made out of the same fabric as the moisture wicking golf shirts? 

15 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

So are these made out of the same fabric as the moisture wicking golf shirts? 

No clue, I haven't chased a ball around a field in decades.:lol:

12 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

No clue, I haven't chased a ball around a field in decades.:lol:

I always liked the golf shirts. I remember it really changed the look of the pga tour on tv when they came out . On extremely hot days everyone went from a sweat stained mess to looking much more presentable. Moisture wicking underwear is also nice in the hot weather, keeps the boys happy. 
At work I always had to wear nomex . Which is great if you get lit on fire but it’s warm in the summer and cold in the winter. 

I have lived in hot/humid (Florida Gulf Coast) and now live in hot/arid (Wyoming), and the best fabric I have found to keep cool is linen. Stick with unbleached or a very light color, and prepare to be amazed at how nice it is in the hot weather. 

On 2/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

J. Hornady has been around for quite a while.  I just Googled their site and it says not secure.  Maybe they are having problems with hackers.  To you question I live in the desert and it is often 110+ with very low humidity.  I bought four of the shirts and to me (and I emphasize to ME) I do not like what feels like hot dry nylon on my skin.  In extremely hot weather I prefer good old cotton.  In climates with high humidity sweat may make them feel different.

Hard to beat the old blue chambry.

Archived