SASS Wire Forum

Howdy y'all!

Foxcroft Flint Locke

Just wanted to do a quick introduction.  I've been lurking around the forum for a few months, gathering information.  I'm planning to start going to some CAS events as soon as they start back up up here in Maine.

I appreciate all of the info that you guys provide on here!  It's definitely made my research a lot easier!

-Foxcroft Flint Locke

Welcome aboard the best game and folks goin'. Hang on for the addiction.:D. If you're in southern Maine, check out the Maine Marshalls in Berwick. A fine bunch.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome, hope you didn’t do what I did and go buy everything I thought I needed, haha! I guess we’re lucky here we shoot mostly year round. 

I have not.  I already had my revolves (Pietta 1851's.  I love black powder!), and I have a shotgun.  I'm going to hold off on buying anything else until I get a chance to go to a shoot and watch some.

20 minutes ago, Foxcroft Flint Locke said:

I have not.  I already had my revolves (Pietta 1851's.  I love black powder!), and I have a shotgun.  I'm going to hold off on buying anything else until I get a chance to go to a shoot and watch some.

Another prospective Soot Lord!  Blackpowder categories are a great way to experience CAS.  Many on the Wire have extensive experience loading for, shooting and cleaning BP firearms.  Ask questions and expect answers.  What caliber are your revolvers?

5 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Another prospective Soot Lord!  Blackpowder categories are a great way to experience CAS.  Many on the Wire have extensive experience loading for, shooting and cleaning BP firearms.  Ask questions and expect answers.  What caliber are your revolvers?

They are .44.  I think that's good, although I do know that the original 1861's were all .36, but I know I have done some reading and seen some opinions that .44 may be a bit better for CAS.  Plus I already had them.  One is a brasser with the 7.5" barrel and the other is steel with a 5.5" barrell.  Eventually I want to get another steel 5.5"

If you encounter knockdown targets you will appreciate the .44s.  They can easily tip over knockdown targets.  I have a pair of 5.5" cap guns that balance very well.  Have you shot your 1861s many times and ensured the nipples work with well the caps you will use?  This is a common reliability issue with cap guns.  When shopping for a rifle consider a bottleneck cartridge like 44-40 or 38-40.  These seal well and prevent blowback into the action.  I shoot 38 Specials and get much blowback.  However, I know how to keep my rifles running for six stages.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Welcome aboard the best game and folks goin'. Hang on for the addiction.:D. If you're in southern Maine, check out the Maine Marshalls in Berwick. A fine bunch.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

I'm more central to northern Maine, but I have heard of that group and haver thought about making the drive to check them out sometime.

53 minutes ago, Foxcroft Flint Locke said:

I'm more central to northern Maine, but I have heard of that group and haver thought about making the drive to check them out sometime.

Tyler and Des will take good care of you!

I think there is also a CAS club up around Augusta.

48 minutes ago, Foxcroft Flint Locke said:

Big Pine Gun Club in Willimantic is the one I'm planning to join.  It's only 20 minutes or so from my house.

Foxcraft,

Welcome!    

We Shot Willimantic Smoke way back in '08. My wife was a traveling nurse and we spent the summer in Bangor and had a ball. The groups around us were a blast!! Hope you fine them as much fun as we did!!

If you ever fine your way to Northern NV look us up.  We've been known to have a good time as well!

Jasper agate

21 hours ago, Foxcroft Flint Locke said:

Big Pine Gun Club in Willimantic is the one I'm planning to join.  It's only 20 minutes or so from my house.

Judging from your alias I can guess where you live. You will like those folks up there.

kR

Archived