SASS Wire Forum

The Unknown Soldiers Monument at Arlington Cemetary. The 1st one, for unknown Civil War Soldiers

I visited Arlington National Cemetery last September.  I'm a history buff and it really brings it to life.  I noticed that the more important the person, the closer to the road their grave is.  I guess there is a pecking order in grave sites.  Audie Murphy even has a paved path to his grave site.   The Tomb of the Unknown soldier, General Blackjack Pershing, JFK and family are just a few of the notable sites.  Several former presidents and most of the WWII generals are buried there along with many notable people from our history.

I found it interesting that Robert E. Lee only lived in the house off and on for a couple of years.  The property actually belonged to his wife and he spent most of his time away from home doing army things.  After the Civil War, the family sued the Federal Government over the seizure of Arlington.  The U.S. Government eventually paid the family for the property, however, Robert E. Lee had already died by the time of the settlement.

Archived