SASS Wire Forum

Need 38-55 smokeless loads for blackpowder barrel

Walker77

I recently restored a 38-55 marlin 1893 (mfr year 1893) and want to shoot it. I have everything but the powder. My cousin has some H335 but i do not know how much to use to keep FPS under 1300. Using 250 gr bullets.

he also has win473aa, green dot, win231, reddot, imr4831 and imr 4350.

Are you sure your rifle is proofed for smokeless powder? Some 1883s were, but yours is very early production.

that being said, and if you are 100% certain that gun is ok for smokeless powder, 9.5-10.0 Unique should  bet you there. 

There are NO SMOKELESS LOADS that will be safe in a black powder barrel. The pressure curves are completely different.

Unless that Marlin is marked "Special Smokeless Steel" you have a Black Powder only firearm.

If you want to be safe, load up rounds with APP 3Fg BP sub or real BP.   
if your barrel isn’t a smokeless barrel,  most steel in 1893 wasn’t, you could have an unpleasant result catastrophically failing the barrel.   It might not be on the first round, but it could  eventually fatigue and fail.  
You also don’t know what previous owners did to it in the intervening 130 years…. 

From a historical perspective.

Of course we are talking old discontinued smokeless powder here rather than any modern powder available. However, the article below from 1900 shows that smokeless was widely used and does not specify not being used in older barrels. This article was in 1900, less than 17 years....and is much for ...well...the first few sentences should answer that part!

Low pressure smokeless vs High pressure smokeless.

The Dupont No. 1 smokeless mentioned in the article below.....was mentioned in my previous post!

I am working on compiling some of these old google books documents links here. 

content?id=Dd6fAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA138&img=1&z

5 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

Of course we are talking old discontinued smokeless powder here rather than any modern powder available. However, the article below from 1900 shows that smokeless was widely used and does not specify not being used in older barrels. This article was in 1900, less than 17 years....and is much for ...well...the first few sentences should answer that part!

Low pressure smokeless vs High pressure smokeless.

content?id=Dd6fAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA138&img=1&z

You sir are the exception. You have the tools and experience for such endeavors. 99.99999999999999% of those that reload do not.

Modern handloading manuals such as Lyman's 49th mentions the introduction in 1884, then mentions the smokeless era Model 94 but does not specify Marlin or Winchester. Marlin's 1893 chamber the 30-30 as well as the 38-55. Later on Lyman 49th mentions when loading for older guns, the handloader should exercise caution in the older guns due to headspace...but does not specify which models, years or both. To be on the safe side, we could say they are referring to older Model 93's/94's only but....

In the meantime, much older manuals do not distinguish or mention the different model's or dates at all. They just mention the manufactures , Winchester-Marlin and Ballard. In as much, it is said for the handloader to keep the pressures below 25,000 cup in the old-time rifles. 

The decision to use smokeless powder will be yours and yours only. 

Even so, Lyman does list the slower burning rifle powder; Reloder 7, IMR-4198 and 3031 and 4895.

"Evolution In Ammunition"

Regarding Normal Pressure cartridges, Low Pressure High Velocity cartridges and High Pressure High Velocity cartridges. The powders in which this was achieved at the time are as follows.

Low Pressure Smokeless Powders, pressures deemed lower than black powder pressures and directly replaced black powder charges for black powder firearms. This powder was used in the 38-55

• Dupont's "No. 1" and "No.2"  "Rifle Smokeless Powder" - Dupont's "White" [grain color] Low Pressure Powder
  • King's "Semi-Smokeless Rifle Powder", low pressure rifle powder
  • Laflin & Rand's "Smokeless Sporting Rifle Powder"...for rifles and revolvers

Mid-Range (Low to High) Pressure Smokeless Powder

• Laflin & Rand's "Sharpshooter" smokeless powder

High Pressure Smokeless Powders, Predominately developed for the high powered 30-40 Krag but used in most .30 cal. cartridges (30-30, 38-55)

• Laflin & Rand "W-A .30"
  • Laflin & Rand "Lightning"

Another interesting article from May 1903. This photo-link has been shared through Google Book's Digitalized share-link. I have added an edited photo highlighting some areas of interests. Incidentally, 1903 is when Winchester introduced the .44-40 High Velocity, Low Pressure cartridge for the Winchester Model 92' (see ammo box photo down below)

content5.thumb.png.5ab26176c2d06636871857ce8eecbe2f.png

552629041_190910-9HVa.thumb.png.9e6b921d2f0aeb91c516f70f718826b3.png

This photo shared with Google Book's direct image sharing link.

content?id=iB8PAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA273&img=1&z

I did forget to mention it is almost certainly a blackpowder barrel. I have no doubt previous owners shot modern ammo thru it. I do not want to take that chance. I have searched for info on what i can shoot thru it and found that keeping FPS below 1300 and not using copper clad bullets with 250gr bullet and powders Trailboss (6-7gr), IMR3031 (31gr), Reloader 7 (24-29gr) and Unique Alliant (7-9gr) are used. 

21 minutes ago, Walker77 said:

I did forget to mention it is almost certainly a blackpowder barrel. I have no doubt previous owners shot modern ammo thru it. I do not want to take that chance. I have searched for info on what i can shoot thru it and found that keeping FPS below 1300 and not using copper clad bullets with 250gr bullet and powders Trailboss (6-7gr), IMR3031 (31gr), Reloader 7 (24-29gr) and Unique Alliant (7-9gr) are used. 

Your rifle. Your fingers. Your eyes. But you should warn anybody close you are shooting smokeless thru a BP only gun. 

All this talk of low, mid, and high pressure powders drawn from obsolete documents about obsolete propellants is fine and dandy for historical context, but without any defined guidance on the historic weapon in terms of it's mechanical strength and pressure limits, nor any guidance on the pressure limits of the referenced obsolete powder, nor any guidance as to a modern propellant suitable for use within the historic weapons and obsolete powders pressure limits, conclusions are merely conjecture.

I would feel most certain there are available powders. Heck there are muzzleloaders that use smokeless powders, albeit in modern barrels of suitable strength.  Trailboss, 4198, 3031, 5744, N150 would all probably fall in that range as these are used for certain 45 caliber muzzleloader weapons with jacketed conical projectiles. But what would the pressure be within a more restricted bore diameter on a 100 year old weapon? Interesting topic.

2 hours ago, Walker77 said:

Not exactly. One can not load these old guns "for velocity"...they must be loaded "for pressure"...and settle for whatever those pressure's resulting velocities create. That is wherein the main problem lies, regardless if one chooses to shoot, or chooses to not shoot...this fact remains.

As I said earlier, the older [Marlin 1893] rifles aforementioned were advised to remain below 25,000 cup with the appropriate lead bullets.

With a 429gr lead bullet, not a 250gr...Velocities can range from a max load of Trail Boss @ 1,148fps with 27,500cup down to 1,008fps @ 19,000cup.

If using Trail Boss to achieve 1,300fps, one would be pushing 29,000cup. However, using the load you mentioned above (6-7gr), Lyman says 7gr minimum, will only produce 1,008fps or less.

As mentioned up above, IMR3031 (31gr)...will push you over the top (Lyman max of 30gr) pushing  29,000cup

Reloader 7 max published results is 25,400cup with 1,719fps.

As I said earlier, if one would desire...to obtain the best velocity at the least pressures (at or below 25,000cup), stick with the Lyman 49th manual, page 282, 249gr lead bullet

• IMR4198 - 24gr to 25gr (I'd stick with 24gr), 1,497fps-1,650fps @ between 16,700cup-25,000cup. There is NOT a lot of wiggle-room there.
  • Reloder 7 - 24gr to 27gr (I'd stick to 24gr-26gr) 1,497fps @ 16,700 cup. 27.5gr can get you in trouble @ 25,400cup...a bit more wiggle-room with Reloder 7

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

Your rifle. Your fingers. Your eyes. But you should warn anybody close you are shooting smokeless thru a BP only gun. 

I have a gun holder with remote trigger pull and i will have a plywood shield. Plus i live out in the woods. When and if i ever try shooting it.

7 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I believe in being "BLUNT"

Shooting "Black Powder Only" guns with Smokeless powder is a fools errand.  Stupidity comes to mind.  Walker77 should go away.

Notwithstanding modern smokeless powder...

You guys never heard of Smokeless Powder for Black Powder rifles? Sure, I have seen cap and ball revolvers that say black powder only but that is not what this topic is about.

I have a Marlin Model 1889 44-40 made in 1891. Lyman lists the Model 1889 rifle as a strong action rifle...capable of shooting [not only smokeless powder loads], but also high velocity loads. Nothing about "Steel" stamped on the barrel.

Then there is this......

Recreation (magazine), October 1899, page 298

Will the rifling of a Winchester 38-55 common barrel be injured by the use of a smokeless powder cartridge with soft point jacketed bullet?

The Winchester people claim the gun is capable of handling this cartridge but whether it is harmful or not they do not mention I have heard men say the jacketed bullet was ruinous to the rifling and to the accuracy unless used with the nickel steel barrel. No doubt many of RECREATION's readers would like to use this more powerful cartridge in their now accurate rifle but for the liability of their being ruined. Please let me hear the experience of some of the friends of RECREATION.

RCG Merriam Park Minn

I referred this inquiry to the Winchester Repeating Arms Co and they reply:

Our 38-55 rifle will not be injured when 38-55 smokeless cartridges of our make are used. The bullet will not harm the rifling. Smokeless powder is more difficult to clean than black. Where smokeless powder cartridges are made to take the place of black powder cartridges in guns which were intended for black powder,  such powder is used as will give the same and same velocities as were with black powder in the black cartridges intended for the gun. We do the best we can to have the combination gave the same velocity as before which it would be difficult to get same accuracy. 

Everyone should read the below listed articles and re-read them over and over a few times until the context sinks in. An example of how one can misunderstand context! 

What is the context?

First one must understand what powders are being discussed and which firearms are they actually referring. The difference between fast burning dense shotgun powder and slower "bulky" fast burning high power rifle powder. What was ignorantly being substituted and why. What steel is being used and what bullets are being used.

Although this article is true, some parts are a tad mis-leading due to misunderstanding of the context and relation to other rifles. Although the aforementioned 38-55 snippet confirms such smokeless powder loads, the below is intended for much higher pressures cartridges. Much higher pressure cartridges use smokeless powders that are even slower burning then those used in much lower pressure cartridges as the 38-40 and 44-40 cartridges.

How to Load Smokeless Powder, 1899

More About Smokeless Powder, 1899

So much confusion, so little time to explain............
7efc68b3-788e-4c22-9977-5d8a7bd884dd_largesize.thumb.jpg.cf3d2e2f7696ac091202cbcaf8941fba.jpg

63a4a2f2-db8b-4e5c-b1b2-53dddbc22ff5_largesize.thumb.jpg.ecd3295ddedf1fc6264a1acf10cc495d.jpg

The question still stands, does one need to shoot such old rifles?

Lyman mentions the Marlin Model 1884 Ballard 38-55 and the Model 94, but does not mention the Model 93'

(For Use In Black Powder Rifles...thus the 38-55)

54g1-g72-150-back-sv.jpg.d4909d5fc7d3d0f9f853d25420867717.jpg

Back to my Marlin Model 1889 (Black Powder) 44-40 strong action rifle.

Lyman lists nineteen rifles chambered for the 44-40.

Group 1 (weak actions)

Winchester Model 1873

Whitney Kennedy lever action

Colt-Burgess lever action

Marlin Model 1888

Colt Lightning pump action

Replica Model 1873s (And I'd include replica Henry and 1866s in 44-40)

Remington No 2 Rolling Block Single Shot

Ballard No 2 Single Shot

Stevens Model 44 Single Shot

Group 2 (Strong Actions) [can be used with their higher pressure loads]

• Winchester Model 1892 (& replicas)

• Marlin Model 1889 (pre-dates smokeless powder)

• Marlin Model 1894

• Remington Keene Bolt Action

• Remington Model 14 1/2 pump action

• Winchester Single Shot rifles

• Remington No 1 Rolling Block single shot

• Remington "Baby Carbine" single shot

• Stevens Model 44 1/2 single shot

•  

• Lyman does not list such for the 38-55 rifles.

L

(For Use In Black Powder Rifles...plus...)

zz.thumb.jpg.dd4b057477663351aa0116b008b1fb67.jpg

On 2/19/2023 at 8:27 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

You sir are the exception. You have the tools and experience for such endeavors. 99.99999999999999% of those that reload do not.

I agree SD, but having seen the results of this same endeavor over the years I would change an old saying to this: "A fool & his body parts or life are soon parted"

18 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:

I agree SD, but having seen the results of this same endeavor over the years I would change an old saying to this: "A fool & his body parts or life are soon parted"

Yes, doesn't take much to hurt something if one doesn't FULLY understand what they are doing.

My only argument here is not about shooting or not shooting these old guns [to each his own]....but to those that claim smokeless powders were not to be used in ANY black powder rifles. 

14 minutes ago, Savvy Jack said:

Yes, doesn't take much to hurt something if one doesn't FULLY understand what they are doing.

My only argument here is not about shooting or not shooting these old guns [to each his own]....but to those that claim smokeless powders were not to be used in ANY black powder rifles. 

I hear what your saying, I just noting that the smokeless powders then were a lot different than now as was shown some of the ads and were designed for the purpose of upgrading from BP in those guns designed for BP; but; that is not case with the smokeless powders of today.  Besides, there are many BP subs out there.

Just how many people will go out and read every scrap of information??  Especially when there is an amount (large) written by those who quote others of no known expertise??  I singular individual may well stand on his or her soap box and proclaim to the world their superior knowledge which may or may not cause future serious injury for which they accept no fault.

I am not a Ballistician.  Never have been.  I am, however, a retired gunsmith.  I lump Savvy Jack's position in the same box as those who espouse the safety of Damascus Barrel Shotguns and "light" smokeless ammunition.  Quoting antique informational sheets, coupled with long out of manufacture propellents verges on stupid.  If we are going to err, let us at least err on the side of safety for ALL rather than dashing off half cocked. 

17 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:

I hear what your saying, I just noting that the smokeless powders then were a lot different than now as was shown some of the ads and were designed for the purpose of upgrading from BP in those guns designed for BP; but; that is not case with the smokeless powders of today.  Besides, there are many BP subs out there.

Not exactly...yes and no, but most are missing the most important gradients;

• Peak Pressure and how quick it gets to peak and how slow it drops back down.

What confuses most folks is that aside from the above information, back in the day....and sometimes today....folks load for velocity rather than for pressure. Lets take the 44-40 for example;

• While a certain shallow pressure curve results in a max black powder pressure peak of 16,000cup @ 1,325fps, in order to maintain the [or a similar] shallow pressure curve with certain smokeless powders, the loader might can only get a 13,000cup peak@ 1,190fps to maintain the same shallow curve. Using that same powder to achieve 1,325fps may match the 16,000cup peak, but may sharpen the spike that we all hear about so much but mostly do not fully understand.
  • Such examples can be seen here: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester/chasing-the-44-40/ballistics-handloading Unfortunately I ran out of time and money [handloading components cost] to further test pressure spikes for a given velocity with such powders. 

There are still fast burning powders and slower burning powders.....and then there are still mid-range slower burning powders. How they are used is what creates the pressure curve.

In a list of 157 powders [but not limited to], these list from fastest to slowest

• #5 - Bullseye being the fastest of the most popular fast burning pistol powders - Handguns and light 12gr loads
  • #34 - Unique - 12ga, 28ga, most small and medium handgun loads to include the older BP revolver cartridges
  • #80 - IMR4198 - .222 and 45-70 (also good for the 44-40)
  • #84 - Reloder 7 -  being the middle of the mid-range slower burning rifle powders - slowest for the 44-40 rifle use, light rifle loads, silhouette loads
  • #85 - IMR3031 - first on the list for the .308, 30-30 cartridges
  • #143 - Accurate 8700 being one of the slower of the slower burning rifle powders - .270/300 Weatherby etc

In the articles aforementioned a few posts up, the #1 problem back then when using smokeless powders in black powder firearms, was the fact that they were trying to stuff large "equal" volumes of faster burning [dense] powders into a cartridge requiring a bulkier slower burning powder or black powder. In that case, trying to stuff the same volume of faster burning shotgun powder into a large volume .308 rifle cartridge. That would be like trying to stull a full case of Unique into a 50BMG. The same bloody thing would happen today...BOOM! We no longer have "Bulk for Bulk" smokeless powders that directly replaced black powders, but we do still have "bulky" slower burning rifle powders that are plenty safe for black powder firearms, with the directions of the handloading manuals.

The advantage of being able to use certain fast burning pistol powders is that the loader can lighten the load enough [per published instructions] to gain a shallow pressure curve, safe for black powder firearms as would be noted by Lyman. In order to shallow the pressure curve [as an example], sometimes one must sacrifice velocity. Such is so with fast burning pistol powders like Trail Boss. In order to shallow the pressure curve for the 38-40 black powder pressure curve types, the loader must sacrifice velocity with such powder by only achieving 1,000fps rather than maybe 1,590fps. To maintain a fairly equal black powder pressure curve AND velocity with a slower burning rifle powder, the loader can use a lower charge of IMR3031 and achieve 1,419fps.

To compare...and both at a safe pressure curve;

249gr lead bullet...

• 7gr Trail Boss - 1,000fps @ 18,900cup
  • IMR3031 - 1,419 @ 18,500cup

I differ.  The position proposed, Smokeless powders being safe in Black Powder guns, is untenable.  Especially when purportedly supported by long ago publication and the print on long out of manufacture propellants.  There are NO PROOF houses in the United States and I seriously question the accuracy of a Back Yard Scientist with unknown equipment, citing a singular opinion as "gospel."

It is just that kind of "information" that get's people hurt.  For of course, in that happenstance, Professor Savvy Jack will take no responsibility.

Simple solution with absolutely no question, argument or drama…

Use BP in BP guns. Simple. 

Just because one can do something it doesn’t mean one should. 

On 2/19/2023 at 11:03 PM, Walker77 said:

I have a gun holder with remote trigger pull and i will have a plywood shield. Plus i live out in the woods. When and if i ever try shooting it.

This is a lot of effort, which begs the question of why you’d risk a catastrophe shooting smokeless when you know BP would work? What’s the objective?

I thought I posted this before....I guess that revokes my Professor status?

Recreation Magazine, 1899, page 298

Will the rifling of a Winchester 38-55 (common barrel) be injured by the use of a smokeless powder cartridge with soft point jacketed bullet? The Winchester people claim the gun is capable of handling this cartridge but whether it is harmful or not they do not mention. I have heard men say the jacketed bullet was ruinous to the rifling and to the accuracy unless used with the nickel steel barrel. No doubt many of RECREATION's readers would like to use this more powerful cartridge in their now accurate rifle but for the liability of their being ruined. Please let me hear the experience of some of the friends of RECREATION. ~R.C.G. Merriam Park Minn.

Our 38-55 rifle will not be injured when 38-55 smokeless cartridges of our make are used. The bullet will not harm the rifling. Smokeless powder is more difficult to clean than black. Where smokeless powder cartridges are made to take the place of black powder cartridges in guns which were intended for black powder, such smokeless powder is used as will give the same pressures and same velocities as were obtained with black powder in the black powder cartridges intended for the gun originally. We do the best we can to have the combination give the same velocity as before, which it would be difficult to get same accuracy.

If it's a lie, they told it!!! (Winchester, not Marlin)

As I said earlier, I do not advocate shooting these old guns. I do not encourage the shooting of these old guns (doesn't mean I don't shoot my own)...especially with the means of any wrongful method.

However, to claim these (or at least some) old "black powder" guns did not use smokeless powder is downright incorrect and one does not have to be a Professor to figure that out.....a Doctor maybe, but not a Professor!!

However, just like old cars, old tools, old airplanes and old woman..........use great care when handling these treasures. Treat them with respect, and tread lightly.

such smokeless powder is used as will give the same pressures and same velocities as were obtained with black powder in the black powder cartridges intended for the gun originally.

So what powders would this have been....and what powders would that be today...........

11 hours ago, Savvy Jack said:

I thought I posted this before....I guess that revokes my Professor status?

Recreation Magazine, 1899, page 298

Will the rifling of a Winchester 38-55 (common barrel) be injured by the use of a smokeless powder cartridge with soft point jacketed bullet? The Winchester people claim the gun is capable of handling this cartridge but whether it is harmful or not they do not mention. I have heard men say the jacketed bullet was ruinous to the rifling and to the accuracy unless used with the nickel steel barrel. No doubt many of RECREATION's readers would like to use this more powerful cartridge in their now accurate rifle but for the liability of their being ruined. Please let me hear the experience of some of the friends of RECREATION. ~R.C.G. Merriam Park Minn.

Our 38-55 rifle will not be injured when 38-55 smokeless cartridges of our make are used. The bullet will not harm the rifling. Smokeless powder is more difficult to clean than black. Where smokeless powder cartridges are made to take the place of black powder cartridges in guns which were intended for black powder, such smokeless powder is used as will give the same pressures and same velocities as were obtained with black powder in the black powder cartridges intended for the gun originally. We do the best we can to have the combination give the same velocity as before, which it would be difficult to get same accuracy.

If it's a lie, they told it!!! (Winchester, not Marlin)

As I said earlier, I do not advocate shooting these old guns. I do not encourage the shooting of these old guns (doesn't mean I don't shoot my own)...especially with the means of any wrongful method.

However, to claim these (or at least some) old "black powder" guns did not use smokeless powder is downright incorrect and one does not have to be a Professor to figure that out.....a Doctor maybe, but not a Professor!!

However, just like old cars, old tools, old airplanes and old woman..........use great care when handling these treasures. Treat them with respect, and tread lightly.

So what powders would this have been....and what powders would that be today...........

And there’s the rub. How does the average reloader know what the original black powder pressures were. Those numbers really don’t exist. Actual pressure curves are not obtainable using the copper crusher method. No black powder manufacturers have published pressure data for any cartridge that I am aware of. 

Pretty hard to replicate black powder pressures when the data doesn’t exist. 

Your question does not seem to be genuine, plausibly sarcastic and doubtful. Thus I hesitate to answer but......

Ask and yea shall receive!

I don't know why you want the information, you may refuse to read it or you may refuse to except it. No one is forced to agree with it....but it is there.

As far as replicating the black powder pressures....it is all about probable approximants. One thing to consider is that in order to approximately replicate black powder loads in order to record pressures, the loader must consider actual loads, components used, not the mess we have today. When it is all said and done, all we can do is the best we can to replicate and observe the results. If the results make sense, then connect the dots, secure the links and keep researching for more answers.

The other option is just to sit back and read modern magazines of those that are just regurgitating miss-information. Nevertheless, we accept what we want and ignore the rest...true for everyone.

Have the barrel magna-fluxed and x-rayed to ensure someone hasn't already over-stressed the metal.  Frankly, I don't see a problem,,, fill the stupid case with 2F, just about to where a seated bullet would go, with whatever brand you can find, stuff a 255 grain flat nose bullet on top and repeat... ad nauseum!  Go on about your business and enjoy your rifle.  There are any number of folks that are using smokeless powders in their pre-nickel steel barreled firearms without catastrophic results.   Hell, it seems like folks routinely blow up their nickel-steel barrelled 1895 Marlins with 45-70 loads, so they obviously aren't capable of even loading pretty simple mid-pressure loads in a rifle designed to handle 'em.  Any serious student of the loading arts should be able to figure out safe and sane loads to use in any firearm, regardless of when it was made.  While the internet is full of inane and stupid suggestions, it also is home to really great information on just about any subject.  Including how to develop safe low pressure smokeless loads.  As someone famously said, you ain't paying me enough to do your research.  And before someone gets their girly britches all scrunched up, and goes on about how I should be a bit more social & more generous with my research and knowledge, let me simply say, carry your socialist mien off somewhere else.  But, meet me face to face and be willing to share a barley pop or two and I probably would!  But, faceless interchanges over the internet... :ph34r: 

Some now days with modern powders have lowered the smokeless loads in soft steel barrels from 30,000cup to 25,000cup.
To be clear, shoot enough smokeless through it, and with jacketed bullets, you will certain wear on the rifling. Some like Mattern, 1926; claim at least a 1,000 rounds....but unless the arm has already seen 1,000 rounds, who now days plans on shooting such a gun 1,000 rounds?

As I mentioned several times earlier, I am not arguing if one should or should not shoot such smokeless loads at all....just the fact that they did shoot such loads in the soft steel barrels back in the day and published such loads for such use.

328626530_493174802833778_4489037769622181203_n.thumb.jpg.3d9f3458651e3fa3a45149eabce74263.jpg

SOME NEW MARLIN DEPARTURES.

Interesting announcement comes from The Marlin Fire Arms Co., New Haven, Conn. concerning a new line of goods the company is marketing this season, which will attract wide attention among a large class of sportsmen and lovers of the rifle.

The company is now arranging a line of their famous repeating rifles, Model 1893, to be known among the trade Grade "B". These rifles will be in every respect the same as the regular Model 1893 with the exception that the barrels will be made of the highest obtainable grade of soft gun barrel steel instead of their "Special Smokeless Steel". The intention is to meet the large demand for a high-class, carefully made arm on the part of many shooters who are not sufficiently interested in the smokeless steel barrels to pay for the extra cost. The new line is, of course, not intended for high power smokeless ammunition and its use in this grade is not advised by the makers: only black powder ammunition and equivalent loads such as low power smokeless should be used. The 32-40 and 38-55 sizes only will be made in this grade.

The line will consist of the carbine with 15-inch round barrel weighing 6 1/4 pounds and carrying five shots, or with 20-inch round barrel weighing 6 3/4 pounds and carrying seven shots. With the regular round barrels in 26-inch to 32-inch lengths the rifle may be had weighing 7 to 7 3/4 pounds. Octagon barrels are furnished 26-inches to 32-inches long the rifles weighing 7 1/2 pounds to 8 1/2 pounds. These rifles can be furnished in short half or full magazine. They accommodate a wide range of cartridges and all the popular ammunition with the exception noted above regarding high power smokeless powder.

Archived