SASS Wire Forum

Carter is in hospice

watab kid

Probably the most honest president in our lifetime though he was the worst at the time but others since then viewed it as a competition to the bottom.  

I still like how when the Iranian hostage rescue mission failed he went on TV and said it was his decision and his fault it failed.  You don’t hear that very often any more

4 minutes ago, Chantry said:

A very good human being, but not a very good President

I'd settle for that as an epitaph.

Not my favorite occupant of the Oval Office but he did a ton of work with Habitat for Humanity. You don't see many ex-presidents sweat helping others...

Vaya con Dios, Mr. Carter.

An honest man, and good.  I voted for him the first presidential election I could vote in.  

He was very active in Habitat for Humanity, getting out and driving nails, helping to build homes for people, as well as other projects to benefit people. He walked the talk.  Mostly behind the scenes.  I've read that he was also a rather talented woodworker.

I may not agree with how his politics evolved, but I pray for his easy passing, and that God grant him mercy and repose.

May he find peace.  A good man who was overmatched by his position.  He was surrounded by some of the stupidest people ever to advise a president.

Thinking about it, and given the crop of candidates we've had in the past 25 years, danged if I wouldn't seriously consider voting for him again.  

He was Old School and saw disagreement as disagreement, not as personal attack.

13 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

May he find peace.  A good man who was overmatched by his position.  He was surrounded by some of the stupidest people ever to advise a president.

Couldn't have stated it any better.

May you go in peace Mr. President.

While his presidency was not stellar I admired him as a man.  His work with habitat for humanity is beyound reproach.  It is also a forgotten event that he helped save Ottawa, Canada from nuclear destruction.  I have read about that event several times.  A VERY short summary-

Who needs action movies when there are real-life superheroes like Jimmy Carter among us? 

A viral Twitter thread is reminding the world that the 39th US President James Earl Carter Jr., now 97, actually rescuedOttawa, Ontario, from nuclear destruction as a 28-year-old way back on Dec. 12, 1952.

“Do you remember the world’s very first nuclear meltdown? That time the US President, an expert in nuclear physics, heroically lowered himself into the reactor and saved Ottawa, Canada’s capital?” asked Canadian physicist University of Ottawa professor Jeff Lundeen in his now-viral thread, originally posted Tuesday but officially trending two days later.

“Sounds like schlocky action movie, but it actually happened!”

I did not agree with all of his policies, but if his tombstone reads:

Here Lies an Honest Man

and a

Politician

With his name on it, I would know there is only one body below.

His life calls for celebration.

7 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I will not speak ill of the soon to be dead, that is what Hospice is for, end of life, but I am astounded by others memories and comments.

Don't get me wrong -his politics and performance as president make me ill.

Thanks for the comments. I payed zero attention to politics or news when he was in office. I guess I was too busy being a teenager.:lol:. Some informative info in this thread, politically & humanitarian. The Canadian nuke thing is pretty amazing.

My good friends were on a mission trip to South Africa about fifteen years ago.  Who happened to be on the plane but Jimmy Carter leading a team of Habitat engineers on a project. 

They said he was quite the gentleman to all.

He was a good man and a good ex-president. 

As a person, I like Jimmy Carter. 
As a president, I despised him. 

I will also say, as a barb that means no real disrespect, that anyone willing to serve aboard a ship designed to sink can’t be all there. ;):lol::FlagAm:

A friend of mine and fellow wood worker served in the Navy at about the same time that President Carter did. Russ Fillbeck is a retired wood working instructor from Escondido and builds ladder back chairs and rockers. Over the years he’s developed quite a friendship with Carter and together their wood working creations have raised quite a bit of money for the Carter Foundation. Here’s a few pictures of Russ and Jimmies work and of them together. The statue with the 2 bronze hands  depicts Jimmy’s right hand and Russ’s left hand at a carving horse where you use a spokeshave to make chair parts. The second Wednesday of every month a group of us meet at a fellow woodworkers home for lunch. We usually bring something for Show and Tell, I bring a gun cart that I’ve just finished or a gun to show off. Russ surprised everyone there one day by presenting each of us with one of his custom made spokeshaves. 

He’d attend the Carter Foundation auction and when he got back he’d share stories of the times he’d had. Over the last few years he mentioned that Jimmies health was declining and  last year Jimmy wasn’t able to attend. The cabinet in the one picture with Jimmy is one that he built and was auctioned off for 1 million dollars at one of the auctions. The rocker in the picture is one that Russ built and presented to Carter.

906E96C9-9B89-4D53-8509-B15E9562FC18.jpeg

AE324AE5-BF94-4DA4-BCE0-26C2DA54FB4A.jpeg

BF57D80D-0E53-4033-BDDF-BF944D479133.jpeg

F7907CD7-9291-4A44-89DF-0D4F022B97E5.jpeg

58DAE4E6-036F-44C9-887C-D2A2F9F6C410.jpeg

AC4B5E3B-1DE2-4826-AC20-4C79FBAAE1E7.jpeg

Never knew about the Ottawa meltdown, but I recall he went to Three Mile Island.

I was given to understand he was a nuclear engineer, and the TMI reactors were Navy pattern, and that he put his hands-on experience to work there.

When the President himself walks into a situation that could go into a catastrophic meltdown says much about the man!

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I wonder, if we didn’t have carter would we have had Reagan?  I bet not.

A what-if question not worth asking.   Without Ford pardoning Nixon, would we have had Carter?  Doesn’t matter. 

President Reagan received my first vote after turning 18 and is still the only one cast with any enthusiasm. Ever choice since then has been between the lesser of two blehs, with an evil or two mixed in. 

But our Republic survives not because of the person in the Oval Office, but because of an engaged populace who don’t hate each other as much as the media would like us to believe. 

Be Thou At Peace, Mr President. 

An honorable man. Hopefully, some day we’ll find another.

Never knew much about the man until this morning when I started reading everything I could about Jimmy Carter. Sure sounds like I disagree with about half of his politics but the man is a lot more than his politics in this case. Mr. Carter sounds like a very caring and compassionate soul who has certainly given more to others then we could possibly imagine. His naval service under Admiral Hyman Rickover is also impressive.

Go proudly and peacefully, Sir.

He was a nuke, and I think that training was part of his problem as president.  The kind of attention to every detail a good nuclear officer must have just can't work well for running a country.

Given the mood of the country at the time, what with Watergate, Niet Nam, oil crisis, etc I don't think anyone would have excelled.

Humble and honorable but he was about as antigun as this fool we have now. Just sayin’…….

Rest easy Mr. Carter 

52 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Humble and honorable but he was about as antigun as this fool we have now. Just sayin’…….

Rest easy Mr. Carter 

Gotta go back to JFK to find a dem-pres who was/is pro gun.

Hell, JFK would be considered a moderate Republican today!

9 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

His not in Hospice. He is at home with Hospice care at home. Wants to spend his days with family. 

Many of the articles are phrasing it as "entered into hospice care at home" or " entered into home hospice."

Archived