SASS Wire Forum

Crikey!

Utah Bob #35998

I feel like camping by a Billabong!

Thanks J Bar. Awesome hat!

8ED906CC-BEAF-4E31-A982-FE7E25596ECB.jpeg

I reckon I’ll whip up some Roo stew and put The Lighthorsemen in me Bluray player.

Or The Road Warrior. Or Gallipoli. :D

30 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Ya' gotta' boil a billy as well mate and make some damper. 

27 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

What-in-Tarnation.jpg

He's going to boil a goat??

Cool hat. :)

43 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Billy tea you must swing the billy in three (3) complete 365° arm swings to settle the tea leaves and cook the damper over the coal till its crusty on the outside.

Up here we can only do 360° arm swings. Maybe it’s something to do with the coriolis effect…

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cool hat. :)

Up here we can only do 360° arm swings. Maybe it’s something to do with the coriolis effect…

Fair dinkum you fella's don't have them extra 5° degrees?

LOL :D:D:lol:

Onya' Pat.....good catch mate :) 

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Ya' gotta' boil a billy as well mate and make some damper. 

Hard to get a fire goin right now. 21º and 3 ft of snow on the ground. I reckon I’ll just stay in and drink. 

38 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Hard to get a fire goin right now. 21º and 3 ft of snow on the ground. I reckon I’ll just stay in and drink. 

I don't blame you Bob!!!!! It's so hot here today and as dry as a dead dingo's donger.

I thought they did sheep?

I used to work with a guy from Kentucky, and he was always talking about barbecued mutton, how good it was and how much he missed being able to find a place that sold it around here.

He was from Murfeesboro (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

You swing your billy goat 365°, three times, which will tend to annoy him slightly. Then you chunk him underneath the bridge. If there's any trolls under the bridge, they gonna be in a world of hurt.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The charge of the 4th Australian Light Horse at Beersheba late in the afternoon of 31 October 1917, is remembered as the last great cavalry charge in history.

If you have the time -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beersheba_(1917)

That is quite the hat! Not a look I could ever pull off, methinks, although I would give it a try!

Maybe I can get @Buckshot Bear to tell me how to get a gen-u-wine Australian slouch hat and give it a try. No emu feathers though. I wasn't cav. What did / does Aussie field artillery wear? :lol:

3 hours ago, DocWard said:

That is quite the hat! Not a look I could ever pull off, methinks, although I would give it a try!

Maybe I can get @Buckshot Bear to tell me how to get a gen-u-wine Australian slouch hat and give it a try. No emu feathers though. I wasn't cav. What did / does Aussie field artillery wear? :lol:

Slouch hats 

50528191_JamesRobertsonb1892.jpg.971e7004e2d8716f26c02e9ae9ee071e.jpg

AWM_071972_2_14th_Field_Regiment_New_Guinea_1944.jpg.07c291ec0446468b4cd9d6f230dbe7d0.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Army_unit_colour_patches

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/punjabi/en/article/heres-why-every-australian-soldier-wears-the-subcontinental-invention-that-is-the-puggaree/azcuzr2zi

https://youtu.be/IMQwdYLG3B4

Major Crimes was the original owner of the hat, and I was honored to be its caretaker for a while.  Utah Bob kindly accepted it when I offered it to him as part of his VFW collection, as an alternative to being hidden away in my closet.  Just to complete its history.

It looks better on UB than it did on me!

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

I thought they did sheep?

I used to work with a guy from Kentucky, and he was always talking about barbecued mutton, how good it was and how much he missed being able to find a place that sold it around here.

He was from Murfeesboro (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

Well, since the Murf is in TN, not KY, you did spell it correct...... just misplaced it.

18 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Well, since the Murf is in TN, not KY, you did spell it correct...... just misplaced it.

There's a second R in there Murfreesboro

6 hours ago, DocWard said:

Here's a repro (cheaper than original) if you buy an original it must be made by Akubra (who still make them for the Australian Army) -

https://www.outdoorgearcompany.com.au/products/reproduction-australian-army-slouch-hat

With the Aussie dollar being so low against the US dollar, the exchange rate works out well for you guys in the States presently. I remember in 2012 it was the other way around and it was great purchasing things from the States.

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Here's a repro (cheaper than original) if you buy an original it must be made by Akubra (who still make them for the Australian Army) -

https://www.outdoorgearcompany.com.au/products/reproduction-australian-army-slouch-hat

With the Aussie dollar being so low against the US dollar, the exchange rate works out well for you guys in the States presently. I remember in 2012 it was the other way around and it was great purchasing things from the States.

...... me too  :(

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Akubra, huh? I may just have to start looking. I noticed at the bottom of the description where it said:

Made in PRC

I'm assuming the Akubras is not so made.

11 hours ago, DocWard said:

There's a second R in there Murfreesboro

Oh yeah. And, technically it'a a third R when spelled correctly.......;)

Archived