SASS Wire Forum

Louis L' Amour

Bailey Creek,5759

I have been reading books  written by Loius L'Amour for 45 years.

Found one i never read before. Trail to seven pines good story. 

I was not aware that he wrote  a story about Hopalong Cassidy.

I am not a big Hopalong fan. Before my time. 

I am having a hard time getting thru the story.

Yep. I have most of his books. Even a few in Spanish Thought I might learn the language, but haven’t yet….

Sam Sackett 

49 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Mum & Dad were lovers of all things cowboy and Westerns and they got me reading Louis L'Amour 45 years ago as well and instilled the love to me.

1 hour ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

There is actually three of those Hoppy novels by Louis L'Amour. 

Rex :D

L’Amour wrote four Hopalong Cassidy stories, all under the pen name Tex Burns.

The Rustlers of West Fork

The Trail to Seven Pines

The Riders of High Rock

Trouble Shooter 

I think I have at least a couple of them. And YES!!  His Cassidy is nothing like other representations!!

7 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

There is actually three of those Hoppy novels by Louis L'Amour. 

Rex :D

The Rustlers of West Fork, The Trail to Seven Pines, and The Riders of High Rock. All from 1951.

And there was one called Trouble Shooter that was published in 74. Must have been one of those unpublished manuscripts his kid found after he died.

He wrote them under the name Tex Burns. Seems like I read that he did not want to write other people's characters. Wanted to write his. But needed the money at the time.

And yes, his Hoppy had no resemblance to William Boyd. Was the same foul-mouthed drunken redheaded puncher with a bum leg that Clarence Mulford wrote.

Remember in Tombstone where Doc said that "I'm your huckleberry", and there was all this discussion about what that really meant? In one (I don't remember which) of the first three books, which, as I said, were written in 1951, a man is looking to hire somebody to round up his cows that are back in the chaparral, and Hoppy tells him, "I'm your huckleberry".

When I moved to Arizona I donated the Louis L'Amour Bantam series in leatherette hardback to the local library.  I had all but two titles and a very rare index booklet, too.

Also gave them the  Bantam Agatha Cristy books, an early set of leather bound Sherlock holes (only the ones actually written by Doyle), a full set of fabric bound hardbacks of the Leather Stocking books and about forty volumes of the Time Life books on a number of subjects.

I had read them all and they were precious, but taking up LOT of room.  I figured they would be appreciated by someone else.  I was told a lady came and  bought almost all of them for her father, s decorated WWII vet who was living in a retirement home.  She helped him write a "thank you" letter to me, so I guess I was  right.

I have a ton more books looking for a home when I'm gone.  I hope my kids find homes for them.

I had a bunch of Doc Savage books, I'd guess close to a hundred, when I was a kid.  I'd like to find some of them again.  They were written for early teen age boys and I honestly need them like I need the mumps, but they were fun.

They vanished when I went into the Army in 1965.  Mom gave them to someone but I never found out who.

Archived