SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of silencers.........

Has anybody tried Steven Segal's trick (I think it was one of his movies) where you tape a 2 liter pop bottle to the barrel of a pistol? Only good for one shot I assume. :P None of my auto pistols seem suitable for this with the possible exception of the Beretta 92, it has a bit of barrel protruding from the slide, might could take a stab at it with that one. I figure it's Hollyweird Bravo Sierra, but always kinda wanted to try it justferthehelluvit.

Anybody ever try that?

Sus amigo,

JHC

3 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

There used to be a 1911 barrel bushing you could buy which took a big Pop bottle.  If I recall, our friends at the BATAFE banned it.  Never had one but apparently it changed the sound from a recognizable gunshot.

No big trick (or didn't used to be) to find a long 1911 barrel. My curiosity has not been great enough to shell out the $$$ for a long barrel.

JHC

laughing baby #2.gif

33 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

No big trick (or didn't used to be) to find a long 1911 barrel. My curiosity has not been great enough to shell out the $$$ for a long barrel.

JHC

laughing baby #2.gif

This gadget was cheap and worked with regular barrel, it projected beyond like comp bushings.

That's another article I recall from Soldier of Fortune.

They said the bullet had to be subsonic, obviously. The coke bottle was good for about three shots. The larger the bullet, the less shots you get out of your silencer.

They used a 380. They said the first shot was very quiet. The second one slightly louder and the third louder still. The fourth one blew the bottom out of the bottle and sounded like a normal gunshot.

I remember the bushing adapter, and thought about getting one, but figured ATF would come down on everybody that did.

And with a 45, it would probably only be good for one shot. Blow a big motherin' hole in the bottom of that bottle.

We had some suppressors made in a local machine shop for our Tactical Team.

They worked if you kept them clean .but could coke up quickly and lose the suppression qualities.

They work, fairly well, with sub sonics, even on an MP5-A3 and were a lot more cost effective when compared with the SSD when it carboned up.

They were appreciated by  the users, who were able to keep their hearing, especially if they had to fire in a closed area

Years ago I taped a soda bottle to my 10/22 barrel. It took the “crack” sound out of the report. It sounded more like a “thump”. I couldn’t aim it as I couldn’t see the target via the sights. The soda bottle lasted a while with no defects. I removed it and put it on my M1 Garand. It melted on the first round. This was done in 1991. If the statute of limitations hasn’t run out yet the above is a lie. ;) or is it? 

Sometime in the late 90’s my friend bought a nifty little piece of hardware that allow the attachment of an oil filter to the 1/2x28 threads on a gun barrel. We had a lot of fun El with that until my friend found out the AFT was banning them as destructive devices or some such nonsense. My friend, a law abiding citizen and the son of a retired LAPD Detective destroyed his nifty little thingie using his drill press. Oil filters make great silencers. 

Used to be some videos on YouTube with guys legally making such suppressors and testing them.  Not sure if they are still there as YouTube has been on a tear removing such subversive material.  

take away was that they did offer a little suppression, but less than a purpose built unit.  Suppressors really need to come off the nfa.  There are over 3million registered already and hundreds more being added every day.  At what point are they in common use?  

IF I recall correctly, suppressors are used quite commonly for hunting, in Germany and a number of other European countries. 

16 hours ago, Alpo said:

That's another article I recall from Soldier of Fortune.

They said the bullet had to be subsonic, obviously. The coke bottle was good for about three shots. The larger the bullet, the less shots you get out of your silencer.

They used a 380. They said the first shot was very quiet. The second one slightly louder and the third louder still. The fourth one blew the bottom out of the bottle and sounded like a normal gunshot.

I remember the bushing adapter, and thought about getting one, but figured ATF would come down on everybody that did.

And with a 45, it would probably only be good for one shot. Blow a big motherin' hole in the bottom of that bottle.

If the gun was a 1911 45 ACP as long as the bullet isn't copper all weights are subsonic.

The threaded bushing isn't a problem because without a device that noticeably reduces noise.  It's solvent traps that the ATF gets its' panties in a wad.  You could always fill out form 1 & wait for ATF approval before making a suppressor.  I don't know if you send $200 with the form or send when you get approval.  The 1st commercial silencer, Maxim had rubber discs inside the housing.  The attenuation degraded with each shot.

You give them the $200 up front. Been there done that.

As for the bushing adapter - just like that adapter that Pat was talking about that you screw an oil filter on to it - ATF says it's a silencer. It does not have to make anything quieter. All it has to do is attempt to make it quieter.

I've heard for years that if you stick the muzzle of a gun into a raw potato, when you shoot it, it doesn't make noise. Will that work? Hell if I know. Never tried. Don't plan to. But when you stick the potato on the end of the gun, in an attempt to quiet the sound of the gunshot, you have just made an unregistered silencer and can do 10 years in jail with a $250,000 fine. For a potato.

There are some things that I am just not willing to do. And anything that sends me to prison falls in that list.

Archived