SASS Wire Forum

US Forest Service to shoot cows from a helicopter

sassnetguy50

Actually, has nothing to do with "Small Ranchers."   It is beginning to resemble the problem Texas has with Feral Pigs.  My only concern is leaving the carcasses to rot.

More brilliant ideas, brought to you by the government. Fly a helicopter at about $2,000 (operating cost) per hour + labor costs...all to shoot cows in the name of "saving the environment". Why not just pay some ranchers to round up the cows? Easier said than done but I'd bet that there would be plenty of takers.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised...after all, they use $200,000,000 aircraft and $400,000 missiles to shoot down $100 science project balloons.:angry:

With so many people going hungry in this country, you’d think they’d try harvesting these animals!!

Seems I remember reading that after the War of Northern Aggression, some enterprising folks started rounding up “feral cattle” like these and driving them to market!  Some of those folks got rich that way!!

1 hour ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Let me grab a cup of coffee and watch the outrage over this one LOL  

Personally make a  "hunting season for them  issue tags and let someone actually  Hunt them they deal with the harvesting . 

Market it to New Yorkers. Rent em guns and finally they can legally shoot cattle instead of going to New Hampshire and Vermont during hunting season. :lol:

We used to have feral cattle in the Oconee National Forest. Signs posted in the late 80’s to early 90’s said they were fair game open to anyones taking year round. I never knew of anyone to get any though

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Market it to New Yorkers. Rent em guns and finally they can legally shoot cattle instead of going to New Hampshire and Vermont during hunting season. :lol:

DING DING DING!!!!! We have the winner!

Give the man a Kewpie Doll!

I wondered why “environmentalists” were not against this, then I read this. It’s all about the hikers, mostly. 

https://www.greenmatters.com/news/feral-cows-new-mexico

Scrolling down to other stories is entertaining. :rolleyes::lol:

I thought this would be like an updated cow trebuchet where they launched cows out of helicopters but apparently they are just planning to hit cows with rifle bullets.

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Why does "he" have udders?

27 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

It's a male cow.  :rolleyes:

If a baby cow gets hurt or scared, who does it run to?  The mama cow or the papa cow?

It’s a humorous cartoon…

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wondered why “environmentalists” were not against this, then I read this. It’s all about the hikers, mostly. 

https://www.greenmatters.com/news/feral-cows-new-mexico

Scrolling down to other stories is entertaining. :rolleyes::lol:

34 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Where are all the anti gun, anti meat eater, anti lumber company, etdamncetera people who always get their say in the "news" media?  Why aren't they beating their usual drums over this massacre.

The locals are affraid of the cows and all the others are busy bugging Texas about the wild donkey disposal.

environmentalist

noun

1. One who advocates for the protection of the biosphere from misuse from human activity through such measures as ecosystem protection, waster reduction and pollution prevention

From Wiktionary.

We haven’t heard from PETA either!!

Where are those self righteous idiots when this is going on??

And they’re killing cattle to protect wolves!!  The dumbassery is going nuclear nowadays!!

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is rational anymore!  I think about 80-85% of the population of this planet is clinically insane and then rest either don't what to do or are too lazy to do anything.  I think I fit the last category, or I'm not so much lazy as I just don't care any more.  :huh:

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Horses, donkeys, wild boars, camels, deer, goats, water buffalo get culled here with aerial shooting along with normal hunters.....in their 100,000's upon 100,000's of thousands each year and it hardly dents their numbers. 

Heard Australia has a big rabbit problem, similar in severity to what we did during the Dust Bowl years.  Is that still a problem down there?

3 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Heard Australia has a big rabbit problem, similar in severity to what we did during the Dust Bowl years.  Is that still a problem down there?

It's not like the below vid from the 50's, but they are still a MASSIVE problem. Mixo virus has run its course and the newer calici virus they are getting immune to now as well and starting to build up. Warrens are blown up and gassed, millions of poisoned carrots are dropped and every kid grows up shooting them and they still are a problem. We have a lot of introduced ferals here (some are two legged as well).

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Nothing, absolutely NOTHING is rational anymore!  I think about 80-85% of the population of this planet is clinically insane and then rest either don't what to do or are too lazy to do anything.  I think I fit the last category, or I'm not so much lazy as I just don't care any more.  :huh:

Forty at this point its gonna be futile to try and stop it.  The slope done slipped, and if you can't see the shovel full of manure headed for the rotary impeller...

Nows the time to pop the corn sit back and hope all your preparations were enough to get through the crash and wait for the pendulum to swing back to sanity.  

Environmentalists don't like the damage cattle, horses & hogs due to riparian habitats.  Native plants & animals that occupy these area eventually disappear.  In the west where wild (feral) horses roam their population have to be controlled otherwise the population of horses & other species collapse.  At least because horses a loved by a huge percentage of the residents of the US they are legally protected from killing & selling for slaughter for human or animal consumption.  Feral hogs & cattle aren't.  I am sure that rounding up or salvaging the meat from the feral cattle is not cost effective; because, of lack of roads.  It would take more a expensive helicopter to safely lift 2,000 lbs.  & it would have to be hauled to a spot next to a road.

Hunting of feral animals is never going to control them, as the Oz experience shows.

I went on a hog hunt once, in Sonoma County Cal. Had a lot of fun; never saw a hog, but saw acres of forest floor plowed up by their foraging snouts. 

Wouldn't go again, not least because I have no wish to have a 300-pound wild pig carcass on my hands, and definitely not more than one in a lifetime. 

Shame.  I recall stories from old cowboys and veterinarians about baiting and corralling wild cattle.  It takes patience and several weeks, but I have no doubt all those feral cattle could be removed without killing.  I suspect the helicopter assault will not be 100% successful.

Archived