SASS Wire Forum

What to do inHouston

Rafe Conager SASS #56958

Stay outta jail!  Gilley's is no more!  (And it was in Pasadena anyway)!  Other'n that, there's no good reason to go to Houston.  Someone will disagree with me... but they'd be wrong!  My first trip to Houston, as I pulled out of the airport parking lot, some lady in a Cadillac honked at an old cowboy in a p/u... he got out and plugged her radiator with all 7 shots from a .30-30.  I knew right then that I wasn't in California anymore!  

I heard it takes an appointment to get in "Collector's Firearms".  But it doesn't say that on their website.   

I see that Collectors Firearms is located on Westheimer. I lived in Houston 46 years ago, on Westheimer between Fondren and Gessner. That shop looks interesting….and expensive. 

Kajun

12 minutes ago, Griff said:

I heard it takes an appointment to get in "Collector's Firearms".  But it doesn't say that on their website.   

Unless something has radically changed since Christmas, no appointment was needed then. I suggest you call first.

It is very difficult to walk out of there without buying something.

La Sombra

Collectors Firearms

NASA down south

Bout any type of restaurants you would want, read the reviews and make your own choice. Steak houses , Sea food, Italian, cajun,,,etc, oh and fast food bout everywhere.

Thunder River Renegades is north up by Todd Mission

Texas Historical Shootist Society is west about 1.5 hours - Like one of the first cowboy action shooting venues in the state

If your want broadway stuff check the entertainment section.  Lot of that is pretty awesome, downtown is pretty cool

Houston lifestock and rodeo is a real keeper.  Spans Last of February into March.  Outstanding beer walkin times!  Great livestock shows and some good music,,,Oh and the food.

Could be cold, wet, hot, dry,  windy, calm, or just perfect weather...be prepared..LOL

Collectors Firearms - Bring water, easy to enter, hard to leave.

Nasa

Kemah Boardwalk

Restaurants - Best value in US

Museums

Crime

The only thing I found of really great interest was NASA’s Johnson Space Center.  Spent a day there and could have made it 2!

I have bought a few things from Collectors Firearms over the years.  They will ship eligible guns to a C&R with no problem.  I think their prices tend to e on the high side, but you can occasionally find a goods bargain there.  A few years ago when I was on a road trip through the area I made it a point to go to their (old) store.  It was worth doing so.  

12 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Next month my wife is going on a business trip to Houston,  I'm  going with her so I need things to do while she's in meetings.  What are must do's while you are there? 

Rafe 

I’ve lived in Houston for years-I recommend you catch up on your reading!!

There ARE good restaurants!

Collectors Firearms. Pricy but huge store. Most if the long guns you can fondle. 

if you have time to kill in middle of week drive to Galveston, cross over to Bolivar on the ferry.  Weekends are too crowded busy middle of the day middle of the week s fun ride. 

San Jacinto monument 

NASA is pretty neat if you were interested in the space race. 

Archived