SASS Wire Forum

How effective is a silencer on a revolver?

Buckshot Bear

Problem is all the gasses etc that come out at the cylinder gap.

The Russians had some Nagant revolvers made with a suppressor.

The revolver was a gas-seal type.

• Buckshot Bear changed the title to How effective is a silencer on a revolver?
1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Horse Pucky!!  The tunnel Rats I knew ALL went down with a 1911 .45

My dad fought in the South Pacific in WWII. About the only use he had for the 1911 was taking to the foxhole at night. According to him a .45 in a hole in the dark was way better than a knife. I think they had an instance or two when a Jap fell in the hole at night.

JHC

"The weapon in the kit was a .38 Special Smith & Wesson Model 10 (M&P) revolver with a 4-inch barrel, a small high-intensity aiming light and a muzzle mounted suppressor. The hip-holster issued with the weapon was very hard to draw from in the tight confines of a tunnel. The revolver was huge with its aiming light and muzzle can. And even with a tight cylinder gap, the suppressor didn’t reduce the sound of the shot enough to be worth the trouble."

36 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

"The weapon in the kit was a .38 Special Smith & Wesson Model 10 (M&P) revolver with a 4-inch barrel, a small high-intensity aiming light and a muzzle mounted suppressor. The hip-holster issued with the weapon was very hard to draw from in the tight confines of a tunnel. The revolver was huge with its aiming light and muzzle can. And even with a tight cylinder gap, the suppressor didn’t reduce the sound of the shot enough to be worth the trouble."

Heard of some being tried out over there, but the few men I knew who had actually fired it declared to me a failure.  I knew on tunnel rat who dropped around to see us a couple of times.  He used a Ruger .22 semi auto with a home made suppressor and said it worked very well for about four shots before it had to be "reloaded".  He used kapok from an old sleeping bag to deaden the sound.

Most of the people who used any kind of gun in the tunnels began, carried out, and ended every conversation with "HUH?"

I guess the only time I was around a real suppressed weapon was out at the range one day. This doctor I knew and his daughter were shooting a Ruger 10/22 and a Ruger Mk something .22 pistol. Both had custom suppressed barrels, not some screw in James Bond movie stuff. They sounded like anemic BB guns. You heard a little poof and the action cycle and the bullet hit downrange. Kinda like my crossbow. Not totally silent, but from 20-30 feet away it's pretty close.

JHC

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I remember reading in Soldier of Fortune about a silenced 44 Magnum that was used by tunnel rats in Vietnam.

That was probably Bravo Sierra. The cylinder gap blast alone is formidable. Tried that once shooting between my legs with a . 357 Mag, not much fun. Also shot a .44 Mag with full house loads in IHMSA. I used to shoot a S&W M-19 2 1/2"  .357 Mag in IPSC.Pop off a few hot magnums of whatever caliber thru a revolver in a small enclosed area and it's gonna ring your bell no matter how big cajones you got!

JHC

@Capt. James H. Callahan and @Alpo

There was a special project Field and Stream wrote about maybe 10 years ago.  The Q__R (quiet something something revolver). It was a model 29 cut down to a snub nose.  There was a proprietary 44 shell with multiple balls in it.  The shell kept the flash and shell contained.  Only a handful were tested in the tunnels.  It would drop a person right there at 20 feet but they could limp away at 40 feet, not good outside of the tunnel.

10 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My dad fought in the South Pacific in WWII. About the only use he had for the 1911 was taking to the foxhole at night. According to him a .45 in a hole in the dark was way better than a knife. I think they had an instance or two when a Jap fell in the hole at night.

JHC

Grandpa was on Guadalcanal and said the exact same thing.

9 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

At one time the CIA used a silenced Dan Wesson revolver for wet work.  The revolver had an extremely tight cylinder to forcing cone gap.

They are adjustable since Dan Wessons have a removable barrel with a separate shroud that goes over it. 

They came with a feeler gauge to set the gap when swapping barrels. You could easily have the barrel in contact with the cylinder if that's what you want.  You might not be able to rotate the cylinder, but it would be a whole lot more sealed than any other revolver except the Nagant.

Now, a barrel with an integral suppressor, so you could twist the barrel into contact for firing and back it off to advance to the next chamber with your off hand, would work,  too.

14 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

They are adjustable since Dan Wessons have a removable barrel with a separate shroud that goes over it. 

They came with a feeler gauge to set the gap when swapping barrels. You could easily have the barrel in contact with the cylinder if that's what you want.  You might not be able to rotate the cylinder, but it would be a whole lot more sealed than any other revolver except the Nagant.

Now, a barrel with an integral suppressor, so you could twist the barrel into contact for firing and back it off to advance to the next chamber with your off hand, would work,  too.

Too bad Dan Wesson revolvers are no longer made.

Archived