SASS Wire Forum

MONTHLY SIDE MATCHES?

Dusty Devil Dale

Do any of the clubs that you shoot ever do extra ( just for fun) side match contests at their monthly matches -- things like team shoots, shoot-offs, speed P, R or SG matches, .22 plink-offs, or whatever?  Just curious. 

This month, we've set up a shoot-off challenge stage as an after-match side event, just to enjoy a bit of extra shooting and fun together.  I'm just wondering if others ever do that kind of thing at monthlies, and what kind of participation and feedback you get.  

Our match director, Double Diamond, would like to add a side match or two to the monthly matches but I believe range time is the issue as it’s a public range. Only so much time is allotted on our match day. He’s got a lot of imagination and I hope some of his ideas can be worked out and utilized on a monthly basis.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Our match director, Double Diamond, would like to add a side match or two to the monthly matches but I believe range time is the issue as it’s a public range. Only so much time is allotted on our match day. He’s got a lot of imagination and I hope some of his ideas can be worked out and utilized on a monthly basis.

Wow Yul!

I guess never gave any thought to having limitations like that. 

I'm spoiled to have our own Kings River Regulators permanent, cowboy town facility, where   we can do pretty much what we want, when we want, with the exception that  the host range's County permits prohibit any evening or night shooting. 

Our Club puts a lot of work into our 9-Bay cowboy town, and we work hard to foster good relationships with our host range.   When I need to grade a parking lot, I can use their Bobcat.  When they want to do a promo photo shoot or hold a Friends of the NRA event, they use our ghost town.  When they need lumber, I can get logs, mill them  and provide/donate the material.  A great situation.  

Low participation is what killed most of the monthly side matches IMHO, you either have to start earlier than the regular shoot or do it after when everyone is pooped out and ready to go home! There's a couple clubs I go to that still have them though.B)

That has pretty much been our experience.  We only have a few months when either an earlier start or a later finish will work, due to temperatures. 

But we still occasionally set up an extra event.   Even if only a couple die hard shooters stay around to enjoy it, it is worth the small extra set-up effort to get them more bang (literally) for their gas, match fee,  and time expenditures.   

A lot of us are pretty hungry after shooting a match, so that plays into it too.  Having a BBQ or other food available and handy, while they watch the side event might help to get more folks to stay later and partake. Otherwise, they're usually off to a local restaurant right after scores are posted or read. 

Bringing very much extra ammo is also an issue with some shooters, right now.  Ammo isn't cheap any more, especially for families with multiple shooters.  

Archived