SASS Wire Forum

44-40 Brass

String Shot

Plenty of it on Gunbroker, but sold prices have been as high as $2.00 ea, plus shipping, for new cases. I gave my last "spare" six boxes/300 once-fired pieces away last week to a local shooter. The stuff is non-existent for some reason. Starline had .38-40 in "green status" last week - you could make a tapered expander for them and maybe neck them up, but twenty nine thousandths is a pretty good amount to try and stretch a thin wall like that. There was also a seller who was selling .44 magnum cases with the necks reamed/thinned so the loaded rounds wouldn't bind in the chamber. If you already have a neck reamer, that might also be an option.

5 hours ago, Arkansas Harper SASS #33169 said:

If 50 cents a piece isn't too high, I could let you have 200 pieces.

Arkansas Harper 33169L

You're joking, right?  that's $100...

String, send me a PM if you need some; I'll see what I can stuff in a small flat rate box and give you a decent price.

I appreciate the response very much.  It just shows you what a great bunch of guys are out there participating in this great sport.  However, I am not in that big of a bind, I was just looking down the road and wanted to add some security to the numbers and was surprised that it is just not available.  Don't know what Mfg's are thinking.  Thanks again!

17 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Keep watching starline’s website. They will start taking back orders before long. Once enough back orders are placed they’ll fill them. 

16 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

THIS!

AYE!   THIS↑↑↑!  There have been a quite a few threads on this very subject, and most have been resolved thru a little patience.  And if they put it up as "backorder's ok"... don't be bashful... order enough to last you a year or more!  I'll probably never go thru the 1K I ordered with only one rifle... but... I'm also not likely to run out!

36 minutes ago, Griff said:

AYE!   THIS↑↑↑!  There have been a quite a few threads on this very subject, and most have been resolved thru a little patience.  And if they put it up as "backorder's ok"... don't be bashful... order enough to last you a year or more!  I'll probably never go thru the 1K I ordered with only one rifle... but... I'm also not likely to run out!

Well...I ordered back on Sept 4th. I have contacted them twice, once this week, they say I am still in the system but no resolution in sight.  I am glad I wasn't planning to go 44-40 fulltime!  A couple if CAS folks gave me some brass so I do not have a $400+ paper weight. ;)  It will get here when it gets here.

22 minutes ago, Doc Moses said:

Well...I ordered back on Sept 4th. I have contacted them twice, once this week, they say I am still in the system but no resolution in sight.  I am glad I wasn't planning to go 44-40 fulltime!  A couple if CAS folks gave me some brass so I do not have a $400+ paper weight. ;)  It will get here when it gets here.

I too back ordered 5 months ago. Contacted them and they gave me a link to one of their "distributors" who I was able to get 500 at 2x Starline's price. Better than gunbroker prices, but what ya gonna do. Last I talked to starline, they are planning to do a run of 44-40 in late 2023:(.

In today's world, fifty cents each is really pretty good. There's not a single completed Gunbroker auction where .44-40 brass has sold for anywhere near that cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 1:13 PM, Doc Moses said:

Starline called today!  The 44-40 I ordered should ship in the next 2 weeks. Hallelujah!  Ordered on Sept 9th but at least its coming and starline is great brass. Worth waiting for.

9 hours ago, Doc Moses said:

Starline called today!  The 44-40 I ordered should ship in the next 2 weeks. Hallelujah!  Ordered on Sept 9th but at least its coming and starline is great brass. Worth waiting for.

I ordered some on that date too ..... fingers crossed!!!!!!!

I ordered some SEP 5th and they have yet to call me?  The last time I talked with Starline, buying some 45 Special Brass for a young friend, they said they would contact me to update my credit card info when it was ready to ship.

Still waiting with bated breath.  (Whatever that means)

FLR

I ordered on Sep 9th and got an e-mail yesterday to call them to update the order.

Check your spam folders on e-mail.

Good morning.

We apologize for the delay of your 44-40 Brass order, we are experiencing very high demand.

Your backordered brass will ship as soon as possible once we receive your payment information in a first come, first served order.

Our online payment system only holds your payment information for 30 days and as that timeframe has expired we need you to contact us with your payment information before we can ship.

Please call us at 1-800-280-6660 Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm (CST) within 7 days or your order will be cancelled.

After payment is received, if available, a tracking number will be sent to this email address from the carrier when the order is shipped. **Emails may appear in your spam or junk folder**

If you would like to cancel your order, please call us at 1-800-280-6660 Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm (CST).

Thank you!

Starline Brass
info@starlinebrass
Phone: 800-280-6660 | Fax 660-827-6650
1300 W. Henry Street, Sedalia, MO 65301

Thank you,

Emma Greer

Consumer Sales Coordinator

2 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I ordered some SEP 5th and they have yet to call me?  The last time I talked with Starline, buying some 45 Special Brass for a young friend, they said they would contact me to update my credit card info when it was ready to ship.

Still waiting with bated breath.  (Whatever that means)

FLR

I just got an email to call.

After updating my credit card info she said my brass would be coming within a week.

Great News

FLR

Reading all the good news here, I called Starline about my backorder. They said they are mid-process on the run of 44-40 and should be ready in 2-3 weeks.

3 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Reading all the good news here, I called Starline about my backorder. They said they are mid-process on the run of 44-40 and should be ready in 2-3 weeks.

Yeap, been on backorder since October for me and got an email today making sure my info was current....about two more weeks

It was $328.50/1000, so about 33 cents each. I don't remember the unit price for smaller quantities. Of course, the price could change on the next run too, so...

That's so out of whack with what's on my credit card statement, I went and got the invoice - the $328.50/1000 I quoted was for .38-40 about a month back, not .44-40. :blush:

You'd think they would be the same price...

2 hours ago, El Sobrante Kid said:

For those of you who are getting your orders filled, what is the current cost per case?  Thx

I am getting 250 pieces and I think it is $98 if that helps

Yep.

1000 44-40 $284.00.  The same as it was the last time I ordered.

1 minute ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Yep.

1000 44-40 $284.00.  The same as it was the last time I ordered.

That price of $0.33 each knocks those on Gun Broker out of the park.  Many are asking for $1.00 per and some $2.00 per and many are selling used brass.

It is a possibility that they are in the process of filling already back orders on account. Mine is from September and I received an email to call them the other day, so I did. The lady said they wanted my payment information updated since they only keep such information open for 30 days. She told me my order should be filled in a few weeks. If I recall correctly, someone mentioned back then that Star Line said it would be six months before the next order.....looks accurate to me!

This may not mean they will accept any new orders but maybe if any is left over, they could offer it. My suggestion would be to look several times a day for the next three weeks, or you are sure to miss the extremely short window of opportunity.

On 3/5/2023 at 7:11 PM, Savvy Jack said:

It is a possibility that they are in the process of filling already back orders on account. Mine is from September and I received an email to call them the other day, so I did. The lady said they wanted my payment information updated since they only keep such information open for 30 days. She told me my order should be filled in a few weeks. If I recall correctly, someone mentioned back then that Star Line said it would be six months before the next order.....looks accurate to me!

This may not mean they will accept any new orders but maybe if any is left over, they could offer it. My suggestion would be to look several times a day for the next three weeks, or you are sure to miss the extremely short window of opportunity.

I will keep an eye out. Thanks.

Archived