SASS Wire Forum

I wear my sunglasses at night

One Gun Jimmy

Howdy, 

So, just curious, is there any reason why you can't or shouldn't wear sunglasses to shoot in for CA?  I have a great pair of period-ish round sunglasses with metal side shields.

I want to eventually get a pair made in yellow but for now it's what I've got.

I just dislike the modern glasses look when trying to be from the 19th century 

Sunglasses lenses are usually not safety rated.  And the period style of round glasses usually don't have enough coverage in front, even if you have side shields.  Most would say to save them for looking good after the shooting is over.

As an American Civil War reenactor I had numerous debates with my Captain and fellow reenactors about eyeglasses.

There position was that eye glasses were very rare during that period and they used as proof of there position that you almost never see someone wearing glasses in photos of the time.  My position is that probably the reason you rarely see glasses on someone in a period photo is because they took them off for the picture.  And they did this for several reasons.

1. The lenses of the glasses would produce a glare and would distort the photo.

2. The taking of a picture in the 1860’s was a big event and when preparing for the picture they would put on the finest clothing they had available and having a pair of glasses on would not make you look your best, vanity was alive and well back then.

3. Even today when a picture is going to be taken many will slip there glasses off for the time it takes for the picture to be taken.

I use to use glasses that really were from the 1940’s because they were larger than most of the samples I have seen in books on the subject and I really wanted to have some protection for my eyes when shooting black powder muskets with percussion caps.  It was also nice to be able to see what is going on as my eyesight without my glasses was poor.  And as I would explain to my fellow reenactors, many years from now one of your grand kids might clime up on you knee and say “Grandpa tell me again how you lost your eye in the war”.

Just my two cents.

7 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

...I just dislike the modern glasses look when trying to be from the 19th century 

I am not a fan of the look of modern glasses, either.

But...

1.)  I can't see myself when I would be wearing them, so I wouldn't get to enjoy how cool I looked with period style glasses.   B)

2.)  I can see my lovely bride and I am more likely to continue to actually see her if I protect my vision with proper safety glasses.   :wub:

3.)  You can walk with a wooden leg, but you can't see with a wooden eye.

Keeping my eyesight is far, far more important than looking good or being period correct.  People may think it'll never happen to them, but what happens if they are wrong?

15 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

Howdy, 

So, just curious, is there any reason why you can't or shouldn't wear sunglasses to shoot in for CA?  I have a great pair of period-ish round sunglasses with metal side shields.

I want to eventually get a pair made in yellow but for now it's what I've got.

I just dislike the modern glasses look when trying to be from the 19th century 

Protection of your eyesight is far more important that period looking glasses.  When not shooting and away from the fireing line is the time to wear period looking glasses if you need glasses to see.  As others have already stated plain sunglasses are not rated safety glasses.

I too used to fret about the modern .glasses thing and used some wire rimmed specs for a while, but found out they woulnt really protect my peepers, so I opted for the fully clear plastic safety glassas which you really can't see on a person if your more than 10' or 12' away.

Good luck Pards

You can always buy glasses but your eyes are priceless (you only got one set and no spares).  Do yourself a favor and use the 21st century eye protection.  It is much better than 19th century ones.B)

Many, many years ago a shooter was wearing period correct glasses, I don't know if they had safety rating or not.  But he was shooting and a large piece of bullet came back and hit his eye socket below his period correct glasses, a couple of days later his eye looked like Mohammed Ali used it for sparing practise.  The next shoot everyone was wearing proper shooting glasses with side shields.   Please protect those eyes.

This is 2023.

We woke up and downed our daily regimen of prescription medicines.

We all drove to the shoot in modern vehicles (not a Conestoga to be seen).

We are moving our gear around in guncarts often made of plastic and nylon.

Wearing our kydex lined drop holster rig with brag buckle.

Shooting pistols and rifles made in Italy that arrived via container boxes aboard huge ocean going ships.

Plastic shotgun shells, smokeless powder, electronic hearing protection...

And for a single moment - you think I'm going to compromise my eyes or the eyes of my loved ones to be "period corect"?

Amber Anzi rated wraparounds with excellent side protection is the only way I shoot.

Maybe it doesn't look right - but I would rather be able to see than worry about how it looks.

I can’t tell you how many times I have had hard splatter hit me from the sides. I am a firm believer in real safety glasses. The type I wear are full BCG as in birth control glasses because no one is going to look sexy in them. Bronc was the TO at a match I was at. He was timing me when my bullet bounced back with enough force to cause him to bleed through his shirt. If that had been to a pair of sunglasses they would not have stopped it. 

You can pay extra to have your prescription glasses made with ANZI safety lenses. This is what I just did, and they will have side shields too!

Been watching replies....

Thanks for those that are productive.

I understand safety glasses are the way to go..the pair I'm talking about are round with side shields. There aren't Anzi but are polycarbonate which is on the same plane without the rating.

The question isn't about not wearing safety glasses...its about the tint of them.

I cannot get the same glasses in yellow or clear unless I have them custom made.

11 hours ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

the pair I'm talking about are round with side shields. There aren't Anzi but are polycarbonate which is on the same plane without the rating

Please consider that real safety glasses provide their protection on the basis of one single polycarbonate lens that quasi wraps around your face. You still have to handle the projectile's  whole impact energy, but it's spread over a larger area.

I assume that with most normal frames, you can easily knock out a lens that then presses/cuts into your eye. Think of 250 grainer ricochetting.

Archived