SASS Wire Forum

Replacement stock for Older Navy Arms 1866

zunooo45

I picked up an older 1866 carbine imported by Navy Arms for my wife as it was a screaming good deal. Part of the reason for the good price was due to a custom carving of a bison on the stock as the retailer couldn’t sell it for a premium. 

Even being a carbine, the LOP is a bit long for her. I really want to get a replacement stock to cut down as to not destroy the carving but am unsure if a new stock from Uberti will fit it due to design changes made. Does anyone know if the stocks are compatible?

5D648914-DD43-41FD-BE37-D890B8EB6E14.jpeg

C67E0856-BEEB-45C4-B78D-050B6535A23D.jpeg

2B619437-2F37-4269-B4BA-B1919DC1C2C3.jpeg

FD6992A3-791F-4A71-A870-5004FAC2FD7C.jpeg

Not necessarily.  About 15 years ago, Uberti standardized the Butt Stocks throughout their line.  All the inletting was shifted the same.  Don't know if yours is on one side or other of the changes.

That carbine has a trigger block lever safety, so it is definitely one of the older guns, and I doubt a new stock would be a perfect fit.  What rifle do you shoot?  If it is a '66 or '73 then just pull the stock off of it and see how it fits on the older carbine, and how the holes line up.  You might be able to make a new one fit with some adjustments and/or redrilling screw holes, I don't know.  Good luck.

While it seems a pity to destroy what somebody else obviously put a lot of time into, you might be better off simply cutting the existing stock and throwing a butt cover over it. 

Even if you find an older stock or can modify a new one to fit what will you do with the buffalo one?  

I appreciate all the feed back. I shoot a Marlin, so that’s out.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

While it seems a pity to destroy what somebody else obviously put a lot of time into, you might be better off simply cutting the existing stock and throwing a butt cover over it. 

Even if you find an older stock or can modify a new one to fit what will you do with the buffalo one?  

That’s a good point. I feel you are probably right. I will see if I can convince my wife that a better fitting gun is better for use than a pretty one that doesn’t fit.

what the hey,   just get a bullwhip after that buff and move it closer to the reciever....

Just looked at your Tintypes again.  First time through I missed the Trigger Block Safety.  Yours is a REALLY OLD '66 and new made stocks won't match up well at all.  Probably need to go to a custom stock maker for that one.  ALSO!!  There are NO parts available for those old '66s.  You break something, it's a wall hanger. 

16 minutes ago, zunooo45 said:

Bummer. Well, we will shoot it until it dies, then get something else. Thanks for all the feedback. 

If you are not trying to race it to the limits of the design, it can last a long time.  My toggle link rifles have broken a single screw in 24 years.  Lightening springs can reduce wear on cams, but don't go too far since those springs are not replaceable. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:07 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That carbine has a trigger block lever safety, so it is definitely one of the older guns, and I doubt a new stock would be a perfect fit.  What rifle do you shoot?  If it is a '66 or '73 then just pull the stock off of it and see how it fits on the older carbine, and how the holes line up.  You might be able to make a new one fit with some adjustments and/or redrilling screw holes, I don't know.  Good luck.

You can in fact make a newer one work. I have done it.

I have one of the old Navy Arms ‘66’s like yours that a “pard” failed to disclose said details when I acquired it. (Ignorance on my part)

I bought a used, cut-down stock from a Uberti ‘73 and all that was required to fit it was to fill the screw hole with a wood dowel and redrill it. The difference in the location of the hole was just a fraction.

8 minutes ago, zunooo45 said:

Thanks for the info Chert. Could you upload a picture of which hole needed to be filled? 

Abilene - my wife isn’t real competitive, at least not yet. It won’t be run very hard. 

I don’t have access to a photo as I am at work, but it is the long screw that runs through the top of the tang, through the stock, with the bottom end exposed under the tang.

Archived