SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 JM stamped worth it for general plinking?

AV8R317

So pretty sure this topic has been covered extensively, and I’ve done a lot of reading on it, but I’m just trying to get any extra opinions/experiences on the JM barreled guns vs the newer ones. My situation is I bought a 2014 1894 for about $1000. Going in I knew it wasn’t going to be the prettiest, or smoothest action as far as Marlins go due to it being newer but I was okay with that because I wanted something for plinking at the range and/or hunting. And I figured with heavy use/some light tinkering I could smooth the action out to my satisfaction. My impression so far with maybe 100 rounds through it has been completely satisfactory in that regard. Stock and handguard fit are not perfect, but they are functional and tight. Checkering, while not pretty, is again, functional. Sights are terrible, but I’ve got some skinners on order to fix that. Action seems okay, not gritty, but definitely a little stiff. Not a Henry by any means in that regard. All in all I’m happy with it. My dilemma is that I just found another 1894 for $50 more then what I payed for mine that IS JM stamped. Dated 1989. Haven’t seen it in person yet, but the wood furniture looks much nicer then what I have in the pictures. They are both safety models unfortunately. My question to you guys is for what I want to use it for, is it even worth considering selling mine for the JM? It’s a 2.5 hour drive to go see it, and I wouldn’t want to sell mine, which I’m already happy with, and end up with something I’m not. Is there anything else besides better fit and finish/smoother action that would make this worth it? Don’t want to let it slip away for only $50 more IF the benefits functionally are extensive. Thanks in advance for your input!

14 minutes ago, AV8R317 said:

So pretty sure this topic has been covered extensively, and I’ve done a lot of reading on it, but I’m just trying to get any extra opinions/experiences on the JM barreled guns vs the newer ones. My situation is I bought a 2014 1894 for about $1000. Going in I knew it wasn’t going to be the prettiest, or smoothest action as far as Marlins go due to it being newer but I was okay with that because I wanted something for plinking at the range and/or hunting. And I figured with heavy use/some light tinkering I could smooth the action out to my satisfaction. My impression so far with maybe 100 rounds through it has been completely satisfactory in that regard. Stock and handguard fit are not perfect, but they are functional and tight. Checkering, while not pretty, is again, functional. Sights are terrible, but I’ve got some skinners on order to fix that. Action seems okay, not gritty, but definitely a little stiff. Not a Henry by any means in that regard. All in all I’m happy with it. My dilemma is that I just found another 1894 for $50 more then what I payed for mine that IS JM stamped. Dated 1989. Haven’t seen it in person yet, but the wood furniture looks much nicer then what I have in the pictures. They are both safety models unfortunately. My question to you guys is for what I want to use it for, is it even worth considering selling mine for the JM? It’s a 2.5 hour drive to go see it, and I wouldn’t want to sell mine, which I’m already happy with, and end up with something I’m not. Is there anything else besides better fit and finish/smoother action that would make this worth it? Don’t want to let it slip away for only $50 more IF the benefits functionally are extensive. Thanks in advance for your input!

Out of curiosity, did you have a SASS # or participate in CAS back in 2014?

I'll put it bluntly...you're a scammer trying to entice someone to buy your non-existent Marlin.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize here...but I'm not...

The JM stamped, pre-Remington Marlins are by far better fit and finished. For your needs, the rifle you already have seems like you’re happy with it, I wouldn’t bother with the other one. The “Remlin” rifles can be made to work well for Cowboy Action too, if you decide to go that route. 

Two and a half hours in my truck would cost about $50.00. Save your money and enjoy what you have. Or go get it cause two is always better. 

On 1/20/2023 at 11:58 PM, AV8R317 said:

Hi folks! New to the forum and Marlins, and was hoping to get some insight. I got my first Marlin (a JM 1895 450) through the passing of a dear friend and mentor of mine. Was given a couple boxes of ammo along with the gun, and a month ago I took it to the range for the first time. Now I’ve been in to shooting on and off ever since I was a kid, but I’d never shot a lever action before. Might as well have tried crack for the first time, because I was addicted. Loads of fun. Anyway, fast forward another couple weeks and I now have a 2014 1894 44 mag. Mint condition. Got it for $1000, new in box with manual, hardcase, and a box of ammo (blazer aluminum shell). I’ll let you guys be the judge of wether I got a fair deal. Keep in mind I bought this with plinking at the range and maybe hunting in the future in mind. While I’m relatively new to working on guns, I am mechanically minded (aircraft mechanic by trade) and actually prefer the challenge of tinkering/modding/improving. If it’s not perfect cosmetically I couldn’t care less. If it’s something I can pull apart, get to understand and marvel at how it works, tweak a few things, and put it back together working better then before I’m happy. Heck, just pulling stuff apart for the satisfaction of knowing how it works makes me happy. With that in mind, Couple things I noticed when I got it home. Little bit of a poor fit of the stock to the receiver as compared to the 1895. Not a big deal to me if this is just cosmetic, and it seems to be tight all around. Sights seem low quality, front sight looks off center, which seems kind of off putting for how much these guns are supposed to be worth. Still not an issue, since I was planning on replacing with skinner sights anyway. Action seems pretty smooth, but I’ll have to get some higher quality ammo to cycle through it. That aluminum stuff seems like it doesn’t work very well. Although I could be wrong there and it might be the gun at fault. Anyway, would appreciate y’all’s thoughts, and any suggestions for parts to replace/tweak to make it more reliable. And although I don’t intend on getting into CAS, (yet) I wouldn’t mind any beginner tips on slicking up the action a bit. Got too handle a Henry in store recently, and say what you will, but that action is glass. Would love for mine to feel like that eventually. Also, any recommendations for specialty tools required to work on them would be great. Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, AV8R317 said:

A bit confused. You got a JM stamped from a friend then bought a newer Marlin, but now you’re asking what the JM stamped are like?

8 hours ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

No, he got the 2014 rifle first and has now found a 1989 model and wants to know if he should buy it if it’s noticeably better than his first one. 

Maybe. His first post (which I quoted above) from 1/20 states he bought his first Marlin, which is JM stamped. 

His second post, also quoted above, states he bought a non JM stamped Marlin and wants advice on whether he should get rid of it and get a JM stamped for $50 more. I’m just wondering why he wants advice on whether he should get a JM Marlin when he said he already has one.

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Maybe. His first post (which I quoted above) from 1/20 states he bought his first Marlin, which is JM stamped.

You may want to read his January 20th post again.  I think he bought a Marlin 1895 from a friend, and it was an older Marlin JM gun.  Then a few weeks later picked up a Marlin  1894 - 44 Magnum, Remington mfg.  In his post he ever compares the fit and finish of the two.

21 hours ago, AV8R317 said:

It depends on what you want to do with the rifle.  If your 2014 is working well for what you intend to use if for, I wouldn't make the drive or purchase.  If you really want an older Marlin then go for it.  2 1/2 hrs is more than I am willing to drive just to inspect a rifle unless I have something else to do on the same trip. 

I say the more Marlins, the better. JMs or Rugers and the occasionally well built Remlin. :D

2 hours ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

You may want to read his January 20th post again.  I think he bought a Marlin 1895 from a friend, and it was an older Marlin JM gun.  Then a few weeks later picked up a Marlin  1894 - 44 Magnum, Remington mfg.  In his post he ever compares the fit and finish of the two.

No, he compares the fit and finish of the newer Marlin to a PICTURE of a JM stamped Marlin that he's considering buying.

"My dilemma is that I just found another 1894 for $50 more then what I payed for mine that IS JM stamped. Dated 1989. Haven’t seen it in person yet, but the wood furniture looks much nicer then what I have in the pictures."

Seems odd to me to be in possession of two Marlins, one newer and one JM, and come here asking for advice about the difference before he goes and buys a 'third' Marlin. 

Just the view from my saddle 

• Members
  • SASS# Guest

Hi folks! New to the forum and Marlins, and was hoping to get some insight. I got my first Marlin (a JM 1895 450) through the passing of a dear friend and mentor of mine. Was given a couple boxes of ammo along with the gun, and a month ago I took it to the range for the first time. Now I’ve been in to shooting on and off ever since I was a kid, but I’d never shot a lever action before. Might as well have tried crack for the first time, because I was addicted. Loads of fun. Anyway, fast forward another couple weeks and I now have a 2014 1894 44 mag. Mint condition. Got it for $1000, new in box with manual, hardcase, and a box of ammo (blazer aluminum shell). I’ll let you guys be the judge of wether I got a fair deal. Keep in mind I bought this with plinking at the range and maybe hunting in the future in mind. While I’m relatively new to working on guns, I am mechanically minded (aircraft mechanic by trade) and actually prefer the challenge of tinkering/modding/improving. If it’s not perfect cosmetically I couldn’t care less. If it’s something I can pull apart, get to understand and marvel at how it works, tweak a few things, and put it back together working better then before I’m happy. Heck, just pulling stuff apart for the satisfaction of knowing how it works makes me happy. With that in mind, Couple things I noticed when I got it home. Little bit of a poor fit of the stock to the receiver as compared to the 1895. Not a big deal to me if this is just cosmetic, and it seems to be tight all around. Sights seem low quality, front sight looks off center, which seems kind of off putting for how much these guns are supposed to be worth. Still not an issue, since I was planning on replacing with skinner sights anyway. Action seems pretty smooth, but I’ll have to get some higher quality ammo to cycle through it. That aluminum stuff seems like it doesn’t work very well. Although I could be wrong there and it might be the gun at fault. Anyway, would appreciate y’all’s thoughts, and any suggestions for parts to replace/tweak to make it more reliable. And although I don’t intend on getting into CAS, (yet) I wouldn’t mind any beginner tips on slicking up the action a bit. Got too handle a Henry in store recently, and say what you will, but that action is glass. Would love for mine to feel like that eventually. Also, any recommendations for specialty tools required to work on them would be great. Thanks guys!

First Marlin in this post is a JM 1895 in 450 Marlin caliber.

Second Marlin in the post is a 2014 mfg date, 1894 Marlin in 44 magnum, Remington mfg gun. 

In this post dated January 20 he is comparing fit and finish on his older 1895 to his 2014 1894. That is what I referred to in my prior post. 

On 2/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, AV8R317 said:

From what I see he is considering purchasing a JM Marlin 1894 and selling his 2014 (Remington) Marlin 1894.  He does compare the two, only having photos of the JM 1894.  His wording seem to be missing some context.  I'm no English and grammar guru but, his sentence may make more sense with better clarification.   Haven’t seen it in person yet, but the wood furniture looks much nicer then what I have; in the pictures (Provided by the seller).

In my opinion, his inquisition on this forum, seeking advise on differences in a JM Marlin vs Remington Marlin seem legitimate enough.  All the man is asking for is your opinion.  Maybe I missed something but he hasn't tried to sell his Remington made 1894 to anyone here. has he? 

that was how i read it too , i could be wrong , 

i once bought a remlin 94 - it was so rough i didnt even try to fix it i shot it a little and it sorta worked ok most of the time , i sold it , 

i bought an early JM and its a wonderful piece that runs great and feeds everything i feed it including SWC so far , i like it so much ill not be parting with it , i dont shoot it in matches yet as i sorta like my 66 , 

On 2/15/2023 at 12:03 PM, Cypress Sun said:

Out of curiosity, did you have a SASS # or participate in CAS back in 2014?

I'll put it bluntly...you're a scammer trying to entice someone to buy your non-existent Marlin.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize here...but I'm not...

Haven’t even owned a Marlin until 6 months ago. So, no I was not on here in 2014. And I’m seeking information and opinions, not a buyer. I’m new to firearms, but I like to get the best out of all my tools/toys, and generally the best way to get said information is through people. 

On 2/15/2023 at 7:28 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

A bit confused. You got a JM stamped from a friend then bought a newer Marlin, but now you’re asking what the JM stamped are like?

I can see that the fit and finish is obviously better on the JM 1895 then the 2014 1894. The action on the 1894 feels better. Probably due to it having lighter components. My question is related to the functionality differences between the two. I have no reference for what a “good” JM 1894 action should feel like, so I’m turning to you guys to get as much advice as I can to make a good decision based on my expectations for the gun. The good folks on Marlin Owners have been extremely helpful in explaining that a JM is worth every penny, and should be jumped on when able, but if on a budget, a properly inspected Remlin can be a fine shooter as well. I have no issues with my Remlin so I will be hanging on to it. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:13 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

No, he compares the fit and finish of the newer Marlin to a PICTURE of a JM stamped Marlin that he's considering buying.

"My dilemma is that I just found another 1894 for $50 more then what I payed for mine that IS JM stamped. Dated 1989. Haven’t seen it in person yet, but the wood furniture looks much nicer then what I have in the pictures."

Seems odd to me to be in possession of two Marlins, one newer and one JM, and come here asking for advice about the difference before he goes and buys a 'third' Marlin. 

Just the view from my saddle 

Let me clarify. I inherited a JM stamped 1895 in 450 Marlin from a relative who passed. After shooting it at the range and discovering I have a love for lever actions, I purchased a non JM stamped 1894 in 44 mag. I then found about a month later a JM stamped 1894 in 44 mag for $50 more. Point is moot now because it sold within hours of being posted, and I’m happy with my Remlin. 

Seems to me I recall that dang near every JM 1894 Marlin got sent off for somebody to work on it, smooth it out, fix the Marlin Jam, adjust what ever because it won’t feed 38spl.

Given what I have paid for JM’s new. 
I don’t feel that a JM is worth some of the prices folks are asking. I am not saying they can’t ask what they want and get what they can.

The new 1895 SBL 45-70 is probably one of the nicest Marlins I have owned. The only goofy thing they  did on that one was the odd thread size for the threaded barrel. But the suppressor company’s are adapting. 

38 minutes ago, AV8R317 said:

Well they didn’t accuse me of being a scammer so there’s that. 

Well we have a quirky crowd here. Cowboys claim to be the friendliest group around. For the most part they are. I have seen some of them be total turds on the wire and then be very friendly in person.

10 minutes ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

Well we have a quirky crowd here. Cowboys claim to be the friendliest group around. For the most part they are. I have seen some of them be total turds on the wire and then be very friendly in person.

With all the internet scams these days I suppose it’s understandable to be suspicious. Better safe then sorry. Still, unless I mistyped something in my OP, I never mentioned wanting to sell to anyone, just advice on wether a JM would be worth trading up for. 

5 minutes ago, AV8R317 said:

With all the internet scams these days I suppose it’s understandable to be suspicious. Better safe then sorry. Still, unless I mistyped something in my OP, I never mentioned wanting to sell to anyone, just advice on wether a JM would be worth trading up for. 

A laudable attitude.

The early Remlins were terrible. Remington closed their Marlin production and retooled. After the retooling, the later Remlins in my opinion were better than the average JM Marlin. Not in the fit and finish of the stocks, but in the metalwork. So if you own a late model Remlin, I would keep it before taking a chance on a JM being smoother or having less issues.

1 hour ago, AV8R317 said:

Haven’t even owned a Marlin until 6 months ago. So, no I was not on here in 2014. And I’m seeking information and opinions, not a buyer. I’m new to firearms, but I like to get the best out of all my tools/toys, and generally the best way to get said information is through people. 

I offer you my apology for labeling you a scammer. My judgement was premature, hasty and unwarranted. There have been many attempts, on the SASS forums, to scam honest SASS members. Some of them weren't just attempts, the scammers actually got a few of them for some serious money.

Please accept my apology as true and sincere. 

CS

On 2/15/2023 at 11:43 AM, AV8R317 said:

So pretty sure this topic has been covered extensively, and I’ve done a lot of reading on it, but I’m just trying to get any extra opinions/experiences on the JM barreled guns vs the newer ones.

Strictly my opinion, (everybody has one)...  The earlier JM (John Marlin) marked Marlins were quite a bit better than the ones made shortly after Remington bought them out, but not as good as the later year "Remlins".   I have several JMs in multiple calibers, and I quite enjoy them.  But, not one of them is in "stock" condition.   All of them have been worked over by gunsmiths or myself, with the help and input of some fine gunsmiths. 

Most of the JMs seemed to have carriers that were of softer metal than what the levers were made of, and a sharp cam point on the lever wore and scored the bottom of the carrier.  This is fixed by affixing or inserting a length of hardened metal to the bottom of the carrier, correcting the timing, and by slightly dulling the cam point on the lever.  Adding reduced power springs, and more.

There were other issues as well, as Marlin's production machinery was wearing out.  Their skilled workers did some hand-fitting to make these guns run.  But, when Remington bought them and moved the machinery, they lost those skilled enough to make the adjustments. 

Remington poured millions into new production machinery and training, but the reputation of the "Remlins" was marred for good.  Although the later "Remlins" were pretty good.   Remington went bankrupt, and sold all their assets. 

Ruger bought the Marlin rifle division.   The 1895 Marlins that Ruger produced in 2022, show that they understood the problems and built back better.  The guns are quite high quality.   Their 1894s are supposed to be coming out later this year.  I want one!

So, to answer your question.  Here's a list of Gunsmiths.  Have one of them go through your present gun and you'll be quite surprised at the results.  Instead of buying someone else's problem gun. 

Good luck and good shootin'!

14 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I offer you my apology for labeling you a scammer. My judgement was premature, hasty and unwarranted. There have been many attempts, on the SASS forums, to scam honest SASS members. Some of them weren't just attempts, the scammers actually got a few of them for some serious money.

Please accept my apology as true and sincere. 

CS

Apology accepted of course, and thank you. The birth of the internet unfortunately brought along a new version of the everyday lowlife con man, and made it easier than ever to take advantage of the good nature and faith of others. It is a shame that so many have been had for so much, and I do not blame you in the slightest for being cautious. Especially since your concern seems to be rooted in looking out for the well-being of your fellow members. I hope you have a pleasant day!

19 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Strictly my opinion, (everybody has one)...  The earlier JM (John Marlin) marked Marlins were quite a bit better than the ones made shortly after Remington bought them out, but not as good as the later year "Remlins".   I have several JMs in multiple calibers, and I quite enjoy them.  But, not one of them is in "stock" condition.   All of them have been worked over by gunsmiths or myself, with the help and input of some fine gunsmiths. 

Most of the JMs seemed to have carriers that were of softer metal than what the levers were made of, and a sharp cam point on the lever wore and scored the bottom of the carrier.  This is fixed by affixing or inserting a length of hardened metal to the bottom of the carrier, correcting the timing, and by slightly dulling the cam point on the lever.  Adding reduced power springs, and more.

There were other issues as well, as Marlin's production machinery was wearing out.  Their skilled workers did some hand-fitting to make these guns run.  But, when Remington bought them and moved the machinery, they lost those skilled enough to make the adjustments. 

Remington poured millions into new production machinery and training, but the reputation of the "Remlins" was marred for good.  Although the later "Remlins" were pretty good.   Remington went bankrupt, and sold all their assets. 

Ruger bought the Marlin rifle division.   The 1895 Marlins that Ruger produced in 2022, show that they understood the problems and built back better.  The guns are quite high quality.   Their 1894s are supposed to be coming out later this year.  I want one!

So, to answer your question.  Here's a list of Gunsmiths.  Have one of them go through your present gun and you'll be quite surprised at the results.  Instead of buying someone else's problem gun. 

Good luck and good shootin'!

This is fascinating, and excellent info! Thank you sir! By chance do you know which years the Remlins were problematic, and what year they got it sorted out? Also for the JMs or Remlins new and old, and all lever guns in general, what do you guys typically look at when handling a gun you are considering buying to ascertain wether it is a quality gun?

This is fascinating, and excellent info! Thank you sir! By chance do you know which years the Remlins were problematic, and what year they got it sorted out? Also for the JMs or Remlins new and old, and all lever guns in general, what do you guys typically look at when handling a gun you are considering buying to ascertain wether it is a quality gun?

To me, its hard to tell if an 'individual' gun is a quality gun..... but rather I lean more towards the reputation of the manufacturer

and reputation of the model you are wanting to buy.   Sure, we can look at the fitting of the stock to metal and

we can check out the trigger and hammer,  check to see if the hammer has any drag, loading gate functionality,  

BUT...... unless you can run some rounds thru it, its hard (basically impossible) to know if the timing is gonna be good.  

And without running a few rounds thru it, its hard to know if it will feed your ammo AND eject empty brass well enough to suit your needs.

And there are a few items that can make a Marlin 'feel' bad..... like a super stiff lever opening and closing.

This is basically a minor fix.   So don't let some things discourage you that are probably easily fixed.

I FULLY agree with Longhunter's comments about early Remlin's vs. those latter models.

And if you want a Marlin checked out by a reputable smith, Longhunter is one of the best.

Good luck with your new rifle.   Tell us where you live and we might be able to steer you to a good smith

close to you.   Heck, you might even live in my neighborhood..... :D

Best regards

..........Widder

2 hours ago, AV8R317 said:

If it's a used rifle that you are not prepared to tinker with, you have to do what Widder said.  Shoot it with your ammo.   There's no way of just handling it and working the action to know it it's going to work for you.  But, many of our "cowboy gunsmiths", like Long Hunter, those that know what's needed to make them reliable.  Can get it running right.  

Here's some tips:

https://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm 

I followed Widder's instructions here:

https://marauder.homestead.com/files/Widdermatic_Marlin.htm 

https://marauder.homestead.com/files/Widdermatic_Marlin_Extractor.htm 

In Florida, both these gents can help you out:

Florida - Gun Craft Inc. - Dave Smith, 2102 24th St. S.E., Ruskin, FL 33570 (813) 645-3828
Florida - Island Gunsmith - Tommy Bonnet (alias - El Q Jones) Amelia Island, FL (904) 557-4909  

Thank you all sincerely for the help and advice. I’m located in St. Augustine FL if there’s any good smiths in the area. However I am a tinkerer at heart, (aircraft mechanic by trade) and intend on doing any work that can be done myself. Will refer to the infinite wisdom on tap that is this forum if I get stumped. Getting a 2009 Golden 39A here in a few weeks so depending how that goes you’ll probably be hearing from me real soon. Thanks again everyone!

12 minutes ago, AV8R317 said:

Thank you all sincerely for the help and advice. I’m located in St. Augustine FL if there’s any good smiths in the area. However I am a tinkerer at heart, (aircraft mechanic by trade) and intend on doing any work that can be done myself. Will refer to the infinite wisdom on tap that is this forum if I get stumped. Getting a 2009 Golden 39A here in a few weeks so depending how that goes you’ll probably be hearing from me real soon. Thanks again everyone!

That explains the alias. :P You'll have fun tinkering on your Marlin. I really like my 1894. A little polishing and a spring kit will do wonders.

20 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

That explains the alias. :P You'll have fun tinkering on your Marlin. I really like my 1894. A little polishing and a spring kit will do wonders.

Yup! All of my interests and hobby’s can be traced back to two passions. Flying, and tinkering. 

Yes, we have worked on many Marlins but Widder is the king of Marlin's. When he speaks about competition Marlins, everyone listens, including me. If your just wanting your Marlin to be a good plinker, providing it's feeding your ammo correctly, then I would suggest a one piece firing pin and spring kit. Easy to install and makes a big difference on how they feel. JM or Remlin.

There are a couple of cowboy clubs reasonably close to you. One in Gainesville and one in Jacksonville. You should take a short road trip to check them out and see what a true lever action competition rifle can do. The cowboy crowd always welcomes visitors with open arms. In the first post of this forum you'll see "Google Map to U.S. Affiliated Clubs". You can obtain information about the clubs there. 

Good luck!!

Archived