SASS Wire Forum

Curious about shipping guns

Max Payne

When cowboys are selling guns, particularly pistols, I often see the statement, "FFL Must be willing to accept from individual". I don't think any of the FFL's I have used would do so. It must be a legal possibility, or there wouldn't be so many of these statements.

Who knows the details on this? I haven't run into one personally when buying guns, but it'll likely happen sometime.

Thanks for any info.

There is no problem with an FFL (on a National level) accepting a gun from an individual (either in state or not) BUT ........ there are several additional rules and legal hurdles that they have to make sure that they jump through.

With today's ATF (one strike you and you are out) looking for ways to remove FFL's from the food chain to "protect Americans" most FFL's do not want to accept the risks. I ask at every LGS that I go to and basically the bigger they are they less likely that they will be willing to do it. I have found a couple and I try to move as much of my business as I can to them.

My gunshop will accept from an individual ONLY with a copy of that individual's Driver License for identification for their own protection.

Private individuals cannot ship pistols via USPS. They can however still ship long guns via USPS.

Both FedEx and USP no longer allows private individuals to ship firearms. UPS has expanded this prohibition to include firearm accessories as well. 

So as of right now only an FFL can ship a pistol. The only way you can do so is if an FFL sends you a prepaid shipping label and you take it to the shipper acting as the FFL's agent. This is how the website Ship My Gun works. The caveat is you have to take the package to a UPS hub and not a third party storefront.  

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Private individuals cannot ship pistols via USPS. They can however still ship long guns via USPS.

Both FedEx and USP no longer allows private individuals to ship firearms. UPS has expanded this prohibition to include firearm accessories as well. 

So as of right now only an FFL can ship a pistol. The only way you can do so is if an FFL sends you a prepaid shipping label and you take it to the shipper acting as the FFL's agent. This is how the website Ship My Guns works. The caveat is you have to take the package to a UPS hub and not a third party storefront.  

Do you know if you take the package and label to the UPS hub yourself or does the FFL you've selected to do the transfer? Do you need to go to the FFL prior to the shipping... I've been curious how it works with shipmygun

6 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

My gunshop will accept from an individual ONLY with a copy of that individual's Driver License for identification for their own protection.

That is the same as my local FFL. He works from his home and will accept with a DL from the seller.

TM

4 hours ago, Seth Bradford said:

Do you know if you take the package and label to the UPS hub yourself or does the FFL you've selected to do the transfer? Do you need to go to the FFL prior to the shipping... I've been curious how it works with shipmygun

You take the package sealed with the label attached to the UPS Hub. The FFL you are sending it to completes the transfer.

I haven't used the service but I think 

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 and @Cholla may have used this service and know more about it.

23 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You take the package sealed with the label attached to the UPS Hub. The FFL you are sending it to completes the transfer.

I haven't used the service but I think 

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 and @Cholla may have used this service and know more about it.

I have used shipmygun.com several times as it cuts the shipping costs in half or more.

You will need to be able to weigh the gun, packing, and box. You will need to measure the box width, length, and thickness for the shipping.

SMG is YOUR FFL. You do not have to bring the gun to anyone else.

Steps:

1. Get the buyer's FFL info.

2. See if they are one of SMG's affiliate FFLs by looking on their database by zip code.

3. If the receiving FFL is in the SMG database, fill out the shipping info and pay for the label.

4. If the FFL is not in the database, contact them and let them know you want to use SMG and ask them to send their FFL info to SMG.

5. Once the shipping label is purchased, SMG will contact the receiving FFL to make sure everything on file is correct.

6. Once SMG has the FFL info, they send you a pre-paid label which you print out and stick on the package.

7. Pack the gun and seal it. DO NOT put anything on the outside indicating it is a firearm.

8. Take the packaged gun to a UPS hub, not a UPS Store, Ace hardware, or any other affiliate. Hand the UPS agent the packed gun and the letter from SMG stating SMG has an agreement with UPS that the gun can go 2nd day air, not next day.

9. Get a receipt with the tracking number.

10. Send the tracking number to the buyer.

Just an FYI, SMG is part of Bud's Gun Shop. They will answer the phone and help you any way they can.

This is actually very easy. People like to make it harder than it needs to be.

50 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I have used shipmygun.com several times as it cuts the shipping costs in half or more.

You will need to be able to weigh the gun, packing, and box. You will need to measure the box width, length, and thickness for the shipping.

SMG is YOUR FFL. You do not have to bring the gun to anyone else.

Steps:

1. Get the buyer's FFL info.

2. See if they are one of SMG's affiliate FFLs by looking on their database by zip code.

3. If the receiving FFL is in the SMG database, fill out the shipping info and pay for the label.

4. If the FFL is not in the database, contact them and let them know you want to use SMG and ask them to send their FFL info to SMG.

5. Once the shipping label is purchased, SMG will contact the receiving FFL to make sure everything on file is correct.

6. Once SMG has the FFL info, they send you a pre-paid label which you print out and stick on the package.

7. Pack the gun and seal it. DO NOT put anything on the outside indicating it is a firearm.

8. Take the packaged gun to a UPS hub, not a UPS Store, Ace hardware, or any other affiliate. Hand the UPS agent the packed gun and the letter from SMG stating SMG has an agreement with UPS that the gun can go 2nd day air, not next day.

9. Get a receipt with the tracking number.

10. Send the tracking number to the buyer.

Just an FYI, SMG is part of Bud's Gun Shop. They will answer the phone and help you any way they can.

This is actually very easy. People like to make it harder than it needs to be.

Thanks you the straight forward explanation. I’ll definitely check it out next time I need to ship a gun!! 

Well I just bought 2 rugers off the wire and it went flawlessly, seller sent his ID front and back to my ffl and I picked them up. On Monday I had a local shop that said they would ship pistols so went there to have them sent to Jimmy Spurs. They transferred the pistols to their books printed out the ups label we packed them up and they sent them out. We have lost all tracking info and hasn't been scanned since it was dropped off. I am sick. Been shipping guns for a while and the first time I go through all this trouble and they have vanished. 

3 minutes ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Well I just bought 2 rugers off the wire and it went flawlessly, seller sent his ID front and back to my ffl and I picked them up. On Monday I had a local shop that said they would ship pistols so went there to have them sent to Jimmy Spurs. They transferred the pistols to their books printed out the ups label we packed them up and they sent them out. We have lost all tracking info and hasn't been scanned since it was dropped off. I am sick. Been shipping guns for a while and the first time I go through all this trouble and they have vanished. 

That is heart breaking. I would get the ATF involved. The ATF are NOT our enemies.  The Agent (“my agent”) who set me up with my FFL was MOST helpful. He told me that his job was to help me to be successful in business - and, of course, legal.  

When the firearms are shipped and insured (UPS), there are TWO copies of a form of acceptance that have to be signed by the driver (if you give to UPS Driver) or the hub. One signed form goes with the package and one stays with the shipper. Sounds to me like the FFL may not have followed some procedure. 

Now, it’s just Wednesday - I’d call/email/call UPS and get the package tracked. It didn’t disappear. 

Good luck and hugs!

Scarlett

Thank you Scarlett, I have a very good friend at the UPS hub here in TN he's on it. It was dropped at a UPS access point instead of the hub and hasn't been scanned since drop off. I am not happy at all about that for sure. I can only hope at this point it turns up. 

8 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Thank you Scarlett, I have a very good friend at the UPS hub here in TN he's on it. It was dropped at a UPS access point instead of the hub and hasn't been scanned since drop off. I am not happy at all about that for sure. I can only hope at this point it turns up. 

Not scanning happens a lot. I suspect it will suddenly appear at it's destination. Did you let the receiver know it was not showing up on tracking?

I always use my local FFL and if he doesn't accept from a private owner then the seller will have to ship it through an FFL. if not, oh well.....next purchase please!!!

Update!!!! I just received a call from a lady at UPS. The label had gotten so messed up it was unreadable. Luckily I had an envelope with my info inside so she called me to get the tracking number. It will be delivered today!!! Thank God. 

13 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Who ever printed out the label should be able to retrieve it from their account. I have an account with both FedEx and UPS and can retrieve this info from the transaction if necessary.

TM

14 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Hopefully you insured them for full value. 

TM

15 hours ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Only UPS Hubs are supposed to take firearms.  The independent UPS stores are not supposed to take them.  By access point do you mean an unmanned drop off box where you will not get a reciept and it would not be scanned until the box is emptied?  If a drop box that would not be a great choice at all.  Glad you finally got it worked out and it was delivered.

1 hour ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Only UPS Hubs are supposed to take firearms.  The independent UPS stores are not supposed to take them.  By access point do you mean an unmanned drop off box where you will not get a reciept and it would not be scanned until the box is emptied?  If a drop box that would not be a great choice at all.  Glad you finally got it worked out and it was delivered.

No it was a access point with workers who scan it in. I was not happy to hear this but it's done now and I won't be using this shop in the future. Sorry to have gone off the topic of the thread. 

18 minutes ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

No it was a access point with workers who scan it in. I was not happy to hear this but it's done now and I won't be using this shop in the future. Sorry to have gone off the topic of the thread. 

I say this is on topic. One of the places I used to ship from had you bring the box in and set it on their UPS counter. This same counter was right next to the exterior door so anyone with a little boldness and slight of hand could casually grab a box and walk out. The only time is was scanned is if you bought the label there, or when the UPS guy scanned them in when he picked them up. Not secure in the least, but it was a small town.

UPS Access Points (CVS & Advance Auto in my area)… they’re not supposed to accept firearms or ammunition/hazardous shipments however, if an individual prints his/her own label on UPS site… it tells you that you CAN drop them off at an access point. 

@Needle-Nose-Tom Now, that being said, you will NOT BE DISAPPOINTED in Jimmy’s work! If you talk to him tell him Scarlett sends a hug! I love my pistols he did for me and my two 73s!!

HUGE RELIEF HUGS!!

Scarlett

In talking to my FFL there is apparently a postal employee in the Dallas TX USPS hub that is intercepting firearms. He has had 2 disappear recently. The post office he normally uses was inconvenient when he shipped those 2 firearms so he shipped from another post office.

Another gun was shipped either the day before or the day after from his usual post office and made it just fine. Packages mailed there go to the Coppell TX USPS hub.  

On 2/15/2023 at 10:22 PM, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

Wow! That's awful.

I ship all of my guns via a pawn/gun shop. The UPS hub is over an hour away. Usually $45-55 including the $25 the ffl charges to log in. I’d burn gas and time more valuable than going to the hub.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:44 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

In talking to my FFL there is apparently a postal employee in the Dallas TX USPS hub that is intercepting firearms. He has had 2 disappear recently. The post office he normally uses was inconvenient when he shipped those 2 firearms so he shipped from another post office.

Another gun was shipped either the day before or the day after from his usual post office and made it just fine. Packages mailed there go to the Coppell TX USPS hub.  

Coppell hub can certainly be bad news and often delays.  But, you and I have little choice to the hub. 

Archived