SASS Wire Forum

Electronic Hearing Protection? Ok to use or Frowned Upon?

Bret Hawke, SASS #63567

Understand by looking at the pictures, most folks are wearing foam, or customized/baffled in-ear hearing protection which do not interfere with wearing their hat of choice.

Do any shooters opt for the electronic ear muff style which allow for hearing range commands while still providing hearing protection or are these frowned upon?

The ones I am thinking of are the slim ones which do not interfere with long gun shooting such as a Howard Leight style.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks! - Bret

20 minutes ago, Bret Hawke, SASS #63567 said:

Understand by looking at the pictures, most folks are wearing foam, or customized/baffled in-ear hearing protection which do not interfere with wearing their hat of choice.

Do any shooters opt for the electronic ear muff style which allow for hearing range commands while still providing hearing protection or are these frowned upon?

The ones I am thinking of are the slim ones which do not interfere with long gun shooting such as a Howard Leight style.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks! - Bret

If you’re buying electronic go with ear buds… I LOVE mine! 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026014377?pid=731008

494CACA3-61BA-4942-A979-DE797BC77A3E.png

19 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Earmuffs are hard to wear with a cowboy hat. That’s why you won’t see many. 

And the reason you don't see many people shooting without a hat is because of hot brass. It makes you dance funny when it ends up in your shirt.  

All joking aside there is no reason you cannot wear electronic muffs. They are not frowned upon.

I wear a behind the head pair of electronic ear protection.  They require careful adjustment to fit.  They make me a better spotter as I often hear target hits other spotters miss.  During the times I am a TO they help me hear an occasional squib.  Only once in twenty years has anyone criticized my hearing protection.  I think eye and ear protection should not be subject to costuming scrutiny.  BTW in high winds I remove my cowboy hat and wear a railroad cap with an over the head pair of muffs to hold the cap on.

7 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I think eye and ear protection should not be subject to costuming scrutiny.

Agree!

I like electronic ear buds. Mine are Axcil brand. They work well. Block out gun sounds, but I can hear people talking. Turn them way up and can hear people from another posse talking! 

Howdy (ear) Buds,

I broke down and got the Walkers toward the end of last year. I'm very pleased with them. We'll have to see how they hold up this year. I had been using "sonic" plugs, but with my already bad hearing, I wanted to up grade my protection. Solid plugs made me basically totally deaf. I couldn't hear the timer or instructions. To be honest, I went with the ear buds because I shoot classic cowboy and vanity would not allow me to go with the digital muffs. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I like electronic ear buds. Mine are Axcil brand. They work well. Block out gun sounds, but I can hear people talking. Turn them way up and can hear people from another posse talking! 

I could even hear the Gritos! 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I could even hear the Gritos! 

Deaf people in the next county can hear El Catorce's Gritos!

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Are they usually talking about you Hoss? LOL

TM

Bret, no they aren’t frowned upon. 

I wore a set for a couple of years that had the behind-the-head band, so wearing a hat wasn’t an issue. I found that on warm days they tended to slide down a bit as I perspired. They worked fine, but it was annoying. I also had a bad habit of not turning them off all the way, so I went through a lot of batteries. 

Since then, I had a pair of custom plugs made by my audiologist. They have a small hole in them that allows speech to be heard, but block the sonic impulse from fired rounds. They’re very effective and best of all, don’t need batteries. I paid $150 for them 10 years ago, which was a bit more than a good electronic pair at the time. I’ve probably saved more than that in batteries!

Thank you all for the replies.

Coming back to SASS after a brief hiatus and was using e-muffs in another shooting venue but was unsure about their SASS use.

Some good things to ponder upon that I had not considered.

Appreciate the feedback from all!

Good shooting all! - Bret

Here's what I frown on: People putting their ear plugs in their mouth and then back in their ears! That's gross! :P

6 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy Bret,

One final thought: I don't think the rules require wearing a hat.

Rev. Chase

2 hours ago, Bret Hawke, SASS #63567 said:

Good point Reverend...appreciate this comment.

Good shooting! - Bret

Yes but a hat keeps the hot brass off you most of the time.  Also helps with the sun. :D  Mine has a lip on the brim that also catches a lot of my brass.  ;)

Archived