SASS Wire Forum

Last Known Enemy Submarine Wreck in U.S. Waters From WWI Found.

Sedalia Dave

No room in WWII fleet boats either.  As a cub scout I climbed through the Pompanito when it was moored at Mare Is. Naval Ship Yard.  Latter on a summer trip to visit my dad's family in MI the U505 in Chiruit.  A few years ago when vacationing in Oahu celebrating my youngest grandson's pending HS graduation I climbed through the WWII fleet boat on display at the Arizona Memorial museum.  This grandson went to Great Lakes Navy base a month after graduating to begin his Navy career.  Currently he is a PO 1st standing watch as a reactor operator on CVN-78, the Gerald Ford.

One of the things that American WWII subs offered that no other ship in service had was air conditioning. Not that this for the comfort of the crew. Its intended purpose was to remove moisture from the air which was hard on the electronics like radios, radar and torpedo firing computers. Some sailors volunteered for sub duty because they thought it better than serving in the stifling heat below decks of surface vessels of the Pacific. 

Fascinating. Thanks Dave. :)

I found this part to be humorous:

Plans called for the U-boat to be sunk off the North Carolina coast in 1921 as part of the so-called “Billy Mitchell fleet.” (Mitchell, an Air Force brigadier general, wanted to demonstrate the superiority of the fledgling Air Force over the Navy by destroying a fleet of ships from the sky.) But as U-111 was being towed from Maine to Cape Hatteras, the sub foundered and sank off Virginia Beach.

Typical bravado by a Zoomie…shooting unarmed steel fish in a big barrel. The U-111 showed him, didn’t it? :lol:

To add to my comment above here is a little info on Brigadier General William “Billy” Mitchell. He was quite a character. :) :FlagAm:

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/general-william-“billy”-mitchell-and-sinking-ostfriesland-consideration

Archived