SASS Wire Forum

Antler grips DIY

Dark Horse Charlie

Howdy! Does anyone know if a good source for antler. I want to try to craft a set of grips but not sure where to get good product. Would appreciate any help.

I would be open to elk, deer, moose and even ram horn. Looking to play on a 58 NMA or a SAA.

Thanks

Dark Horse

Howdy,

Find some deer hunters or hike around areas where such critters might

drop horns or antlers.

And if you havent already, make some grips out of wood to get practice.

I think horn has to cure a few years too.

Perfect fit grips can shrink.

Best

CR

If you search eBay or Craigslist you can find some, going to cost you something but you can get yhem

I have worked Deer antler and Giraffe bone.  I think you are going to find most Deer antler is too small.  Probably need to step up to Elk.  You may want to check out your local pet shop.  They frequently have dog chews in sizes that might be useable for what you want to do.  You are probably going to want to stabilize it.  You can make a container out of a canning jar and pick up a cheap vacuum pump from Harbor Freight.  Minwax wood hardener works fine.

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

I have worked Deer antler and Giraffe bone.  I think you are going to find most Deer antler is too small.  Probably need to step up to Elk.  You may want to check out your local pet shop.  They frequently have dog chews in sizes that might be useable for what you want to do.  You are probably going to want to stabilize it.  You can make a container out of a canning jar and pick up a cheap vacuum pump from Harbor Freight.  Minwax wood hardener works fine.

Howdy Sarge. Thanks. I never even considered stabilizing. Good point.

Archived