SASS Wire Forum

New Knee

Finally got my left knee replaced 2 weeks ago. Been needing the surgery for awhile. All went well. I had my right one done 20 years ago and man have the procedures & technology changed. Had a CT scan on the knee which was digitized and sent to the manufacturer of the new joint pieces. Everything was made to custom fit me. The data was also downloaded into a surgery robot. It guided via a laser, all the cuts the surgeon made, resulting in the best fit possible.

Recover has been spectacular IMHO. I do home excersizes daily and PT 3 times a week. I quit using the walker after 10 days, using a cane now. I can flex the joint 105 degrees. The muscles are sore (especially the thigh), but not the joint. Ice it several times a day. I also have a machine to flex the knee that I use 3 times a day for 1/2 hour. See my ortho Doc tomorrow, I think he will be pleased with my progress. 

As I remember, things are really improving a lot faster than before, hope it continues. 

Good to hear.

I missed my chance when Covid hit and now I'm waiting to hear if/when my turn will come around again.

I'm in my 80th year and I need both knees done, but they are REALLY behind, in surgeries, here in Canada.

I’ve spent so much time using only my right leg while trying to get my left foot healed up that the cartilage is shot in my right knee!  It was already damaged and had been repaired several years ago.

The bigger problem with getting the knee replaced is that I’ve had three separate MRSA infections, one that nearly killed me, and the likelihood of a recurrence is huge!

I don’t know if or when I might have the knee replaced.  The left foot is STILL giving me fits. It won’t stay healed up and until it does, I can’t have the other leg out of commission.

Big Sage!!  Best of luck with the recovery!!

Two bad knees for years.  When they are particularly bad or I have some strenuous task. I wear braces from Top Shelf Orthopedics.  Not terribly pricey and do a good job of providing support.  Hurt my right knee so long ago, I may have been the first person outside pro sports to have the Namath Brace.

Just got back from my PT session today and my knee flex is 115 degrees. My PT guys said that he would have expected this to take 5 to 6 weeks,,,,,took less than 2! Walking without any assistance...no cane or walker, sure feels good.

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Good to hear.

I missed my chance when Covid hit and now I'm waiting to hear if/when my turn will come around again.

I'm in my 80th year and I need both knees done, but they are REALLY behind, in surgeries, here in Canada.

I'm also 80....for another month....but so far my knees are okay.  Got a bad ankle, though.  So far no one has mentioned any surgery for it, KNOCK ON WOOD.

Let us know how that's going from time to time.

my friend had both bad to start with they fixed the first but he always said the other was worse , it was only a matter of time , he held out as long as he could but i suspect based on his experience with the first he will be far better off after the second is done , we are hoping to get to shoot together this simmer , i expect we will based on past experience again , 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a setback this morning! We got a lot of snow last night and this morning on my way to PT, I slipped on some ice under the snow I couldn't see. I twisted my new knee, hurt like hell. Good thing it was right near the door of the PT Clinic. Swelled up and sore this afternoon, but looks like I did no serious damage, just put me back a week or more in my recovery.

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Had a setback this morning! We got a lot of snow last night and this morning on my way to PT, I slipped on some ice under the snow I couldn't see. I twisted my new knee, hurt like hell. Good thing it was right near the door of the PT Clinic. Swelled up and sore this afternoon, but looks like I did no serious damage, just put me back a week or more in my recovery.

It’ll buff right out. ^_^  Glad it wasn’t more serious. 

I’ll probably need a knee sooner than later, 12 yrs ago I had arthroscopic surgery to repair a tirn meniscus and some ligament damage. It was fine for 5-6 years then it started hurting again. I got a cortisone shot and it was okay until last year, got another shot. It’s bothering me now again. I can still walk and ride a bike for exercise but it’ll hurt the next day for sure. I’m 75 so we’ll see if it’s better when the weather warms up. 

Hoping to avoid those surgeries.  I'm 63, and kneeling and standing back up is still a thing I can do, but staying down on a knee for extended periods of time isn't.  

My weight isn't great, but it isn't bad either.  I'm within 10 pounds of my weight when I graduated high school.  Arthritis is my worst enemy currently.

Keep getting better, Big Sage.  Glad to hear technology has advanced!

Archived