SASS Wire Forum

The Sewing Machine

Sedalia Dave

My Nanny had a foot trendle operated Singer. She made dresses, shirts, slacks and various items with it. She made me sleeveless tee shirts with it. :)
She tried to teach me to use it. I put a needle and thread right through my left index finger. Wahoooo did that hurt. Pulling thread out of your finger is the weirdest sensation. 

That machine fascinated me. Though I didn’t bother trying to sew with it again. :lol:

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pulling thread out of your finger is the weirdest sensation. 

I've never pulled thread out of a bloody wound but I've pulled plenty of stitches out of myself after the wound had healed. You're right, it is a weird sensation.

When I was a kid, I was always fascinated by my Great Grandmothers turn of the century sewing machine. It was a large, wooden contraption with a big ornate metal foot pedal and wheel above it. It looked just like the one shown at 6:56 in SD's video. I never saw her use it as she was always busy enjoying our visit or cooking up some delicious food.

Thank Dave for the video, brought back some (good) memories I'd long forgotten about.

3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've never pulled thread out of a bloody wound but I've pulled plenty of stitches out of myself after the wound had healed. You're right, it is a weird sensation.

When I was a kid, I was always fascinated by my Great Grandmothers turn of the century sewing machine. It was a large, wooden contraption with a big ornate metal foot pedal and wheel above it. It looked just like the one shown at 6:56 in SD's video. I never saw her use it as she was always busy enjoying our visit or cooking up some delicious food.

Thank Dave for the video, brought back some (good) memories I'd long forgotten about.

My Grandmother’s looked exactly like this one. 
I don’t recall that side board. I think hers flipped up from the side and had locking levers. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dffcd9c842ee771784f7de1247a953a5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t recall that side board. I think hers flipped up from the side and had locking levers. 

That's the one!

I don't remember the side board either.

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

That's the one!

I don't remember the side board either.

Now that I think about it, I think she had someone add the side board. I seem to recall my dad having heartburn over the fact that she had someone else do it. My dad saw himself as a “master carpenter”… he wasn’t. ;)

If you lift the machine there is a hinged piece (trap door) that lifts so you can stow the machine, drop the trap door and close the sideboard. Look closely and you will see the hinges.

I have a friend who collects sewing machines, refinishing some, replacing decals and such. Like most collectors, she got carried away.  I’m sure a few of us can relate.  :huh:

I was given a treadle machine in an oak cabinet, it had been fitted with a motor so that the treadle was just a footrest. I think arthritis was the reason. I passed it along to my friend and she repaired the oak veneer. I gave her my electric machines and my wife’s machines and serger for her to give to others

I know where there are several of those and their big brothers still in use!  

The Menonite community up where my mom lives, in Kentucky, has a few of them and larger ones for upholstery and leather work.  The larger ones are driven by belts and pulleys that are powered by horses!

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My grandmother's machine is exactly like this one. It is sitting im my garage now, I would like to find a good home for it.

1 minute ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

My grandmother's machine is exactly like this one. It is sitting im my garage now, I would like to find a good home for it.

If you have local quilter groups be a good place to start.  Some collect the older machines. 

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I will gladly take it off your hands.  PM me with the details, please.

I am also looking for a treadle frame.  I haven't found one around here.  If anyone knows where I can find one in descent shape, please let me know.  

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I would bet there are museums that would love to have that machine. Perhaps even in Tennessee. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sewing+museum+in+usa+tennessee&ia=web

When the Space Shuttle was operational, the 136 ft. diameter main chutes were made from thick nylon straps crisscrossed to form the canopy. After recovery from the ocean, these chutes were repaired using old large-model Singers! They were used until it was no longer practicable to get parts! 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

mine looked just like this - someone bought the upper part for a project decades ago , ive still got the treddle bottom as my TV stand in my bedroom , these had an elegance ww no loger appreciate i think , both the utilitarian cast iron base that functioned quite efficiently as well as the elegant top woodwork that also functioned effectively yet folded to an almost second use piece of furniture , 

the machine folds 90 degrees to rest behind that front pannel and the top folds to make a clean table top , the drawers were hand tailered to the use with inside fittings that helped keep everything neat and orderly , the machine itself was built like a tank and would function flawlessly if you kept it clean and well oiled , 

i think it might have sewn leather but i never really tried that with mine , 

its fun to know so many have survived all these years , i wish id kept mine intact ...an ex-wife had other thoughts at the time , i dont sew and it never seemed all that important til the last few years when these became so much more in the limelight ...as with other antiques , the interest comes and goes , ive some old brass lanterns that may one day be interesting again to others , for now ill keep them close , along with the old 20s working radios and spare tubes , 

My wife (Hilda Billie) has 7 or 8 different treadles,  2 on display in our (her) living room.  We restored and donated one to a local Cowboy Shooting club to raffle off at their annual match.  I tear them apart and repaint them, both the wrought iron bases and the machines themselves.  

• 1 month later...

Actually, Duffield gave me his machine, which I am in the process of getting restored.  It looks to be the exact same as yours, a model 127-3, missing bobbin shuttle cover plate and all. Thank you for thinking of me. 

image.thumb.jpeg.068c71957de4181f5779d0e9bfb4769b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eed6a1d833266f6315fc28ddb5402199.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is my wife's Singer that belonged to her grandmother. January 1910 mfg date. All is original, complete and functional. Patty's sister had put a nasty antiquing finish on it many years ago. I stripped and refinished it with gun stock oil. That's a Singer tin on the treadle with spare parts and sewing items.

kWejJzd.jpge30oQgB.jpg8eccwtW.jpgbC4XQAp.jpgzrr1CAn.jpg

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

This is my wife's Singer that belonged to her grandmother. January 1910 mfg date. All is original, complete and functional. Patty's sister had put a nasty antiquing finish on it many years ago. I stripped and refinished it with gun stock oil. That's a Singer tin on the treadle with spare parts and sewing items.

kWejJzd.jpge30oQgB.jpg8eccwtW.jpgbC4XQAp.jpgzrr1CAn.jpg

Gorgeous machine, Slim!!!

I have Mom's Singer treadle machine.  She made my prom dresses & bellbottom pantsuits with it.  I tried it but kept breaking the thread - you gotta get the rhythm just right.

Archived