SASS Wire Forum

Great week end.....mostly

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

but a bit sad, too.

A lady who was my business partner for eleven years (Hanna)and a woman who worked with us (Joan) came to visit from California.  Hanna is 88 yeas old and, while her physical self is still fairly solid, her mind is going very rapidly.  Joan, who is over 60, is taking care of Hanna because they are great friends and because she is a tender and caring person.  She suggested the visit and did all the driving and organizing.

I haven't seen Hanna for seven years nor Joan for eight.  We all had a grand time and shared a lot of memories, but.....there are a lot that are no longer memories for Hanna.  I realized how far she has slipped when she asked Joan a few times, "Tell me again who this man is", or when she would say something and then repeat it almost instantly, or stop in mid-sentence and not be able to complete the thought.

She remembered her daughter's and her oldest son's name but couldn't recall the younger boy's name.  She asked me what my cat's name is.  I don't have a cat, but I do have a dog that was laying in Hanna's lap at the time.  She couldn't remember her husband's name a time or two, either.  They were married for 58 years when he died.  She didn't recall that my wife and I took then to dinner to tell them we were moving to Arizona...and they surprised us by announcing that they has finally become U. S citizens a few day's before.

It was wonderful to see her again ad so very sad that she is disappearing from the rest of the world.  I watched my mother fade away over six years before the body finally left to rejoin the real woman she had been.  It's tough to see it happening again to someone else close to me.

I can't travel very far anymore and Hanna will never come back up here, although Joan may finally retire and is considering becoming an Arizonan.  She will be welcome. 

It was a bitter sweet three days and it hurts to know that I'll never see Hanna again, but I will keep in her in my heart until I, too, fade away.  

Goodbye old darlin'.  I love you and I will miss you a lot.

BTW, Joan has a special place in my heart now, too, for getting us all together gain, even for so short a time.

im sorry for your loss - i know she is not yet gone but in your description of the visit it seems she is , this is a really difficult thing to wrap your head around when you have known someone for years in better times , i went thru it with my mother - i could tell some fun and sad stories , im going thru it with my mother in law not , 

my mother was a WWII era woman , my MIL is a korean warVN era//cold war era woman , they both had husbands involved in those wars , they were full of stories that made it all real for me [i did live VN and cold war] im so happy to have known them in their younger days and got to hear their story , treasure whatever you got/have , they wont be sharing that anymore , 

my prayers up for joan on this journey with hannah , it will be a tough one 

Hey, Forty!  I know what you’re feeling!  This song runs through my head more nowadays and it’s hitting home more and harder.

Archived