SASS Wire Forum

Smoothing a 73

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I have a Taylors 73.  Out of the box, it has a very nice, smooth action.  Not quite as good as my real Winchester, but still very good.

I noticed that when operating the lever, part way through the stroke, there is a (I'll describe it as) lump in the action.  It gets just a bit stiffer for a bit before lightening back up again.   Comparing it to my original Winchester, the lump is there, but not nearly as noticeable.

I am assuming this is more or less a design feature, and that there must be a solution to it, as I have handled slicked up guns that don't seem to have the lump.

Does what I am describing sound familiar to anyone?   Is there a simple fix for this, or is it a gunsmith job?   Not interested in short stroking or a "race gun."  Just wanna eliminate or at least minimize, the limp.

IMO, they're oversprung from the factory.  Replacing the carrier & lever return springs will make it a different gun.  I used a set of Whisper springs from Badmab Bullets in OR.  The Smith Shop also carries them.  

30% of the drag in a '73 action is from the Lever Side Springs.  You may be feeling them as they "load."  The other 70% of resistance is the Main Spring.  As mentioned, the Uberti '73 is over-sprung from the factory.  Way over-sprung.  Replacing the OEM Lever Side spring will help mitigate the drag.  I do recommend SlixSprings (Badman Bullets, OR) minor fitting.  The rest of the problem will require modifying or changing the Main Spring.  If you reduce the Main Spring, you will also need to reduce or modify the Firing Pin Return Spring.

What is actually called for is a Good, Basic, Action Job.  That will not turn the rifle into a "Race Gun" but will make it a lot more user friendly.

I ran across this link on Marauders old Irons website, It may or may not help, but I have found some good information on Marauders Page.

http://www.davidscottharper.com/shoot/PoorMan.htm

Randy

On 2/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I have a Taylors 73.  Out of the box, it has a very nice, smooth action.  Not quite as good as my real Winchester, but still very good.

I noticed that when operating the lever, part way through the stroke, there is a (I'll describe it as) lump in the action.  It gets just a bit stiffer for a bit before lightening back up again.   Comparing it to my original Winchester, the lump is there, but not nearly as noticeable.

I am assuming this is more or less a design feature, and that there must be a solution to it, as I have handled slicked up guns that don't seem to have the lump.

Does what I am describing sound familiar to anyone?   Is there a simple fix for this, or is it a gunsmith job?   Not interested in short stroking or a "race gun."  Just wanna eliminate or at least minimize, the limp.

I know from your previous posts you're not a fan of short stroking, nor 'race guns' and I doubt that I know more about guns than you do, but it seems to me you might be missing something when it comes to cowboy action jobs. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that back in the day, guns got more individual attention before they left the factory and went to shooters. Fitment was better, tolerances were better, and the amount of spring needed to function was probably less.  Today tolerances and fit aren't as good for many guns.  Most guns are mass produced and then over-sprung to make up for fitment issues.  As they are used, hopefully parts mate together a bit better, the gun smoothes out a bit and you get a better action, OR, with heavy use they self destruct over time.

Just my opinion, but wouldn't it be fair to say that many cowboy gunsmiths are simply giving the guns the attention they would have gotten 100+ years ago, which allows them to use more appropriate springs and thus run smoother and last longer?

On 2/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I noticed that when operating the lever, part way through the stroke, there is a (I'll describe it as) lump in the action.  It gets just a bit stiffer for a bit before lightening back up again.  

Are you talking about needing a little extra force to cycle the gun when you are also cocking the hammer?

Does this 'lump' still appear when working the lever with a cocked hammer?

13 hours ago, Cemetery said:

Are you talking about needing a little extra force to cycle the gun when you are also cocking the hammer?

Does this 'lump' still appear when working the lever with a cocked hammer?

That is an excellent question!   I wish it had occurred to me.

Yes, that is what happened.   The lump is where the bolt is cocking the hammer, and if you run the action with the hammer cocked, no lump.

So that would likely mean that the hammer spring it too stiff and should be replaced.   I really SHOULD have realized this.  I have an Uberti 66 in .22 that had a hammer spring that was so heavy, you could barely cycle the action.   Replaced that spring with a lighter one, and now all is well.  I'll do the same with this 73.

Well, this is why you ASK.   Sometime the answer is so obvious, you don't see it yourself.

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

So that would likely mean that the hammer spring it too stiff and should be replaced.   I really SHOULD have realized this.  I have an Uberti 66 in .22 that had a hammer spring that was so heavy, you could barely cycle the action.   Replaced that spring with a lighter one, and now all is well.  I'll do the same with this 73.

Consider replacing the firing pin spring as well.  Your replacement hammer spring might not be able to generate enough umph to work that factory firing pin spring.

Archived