SASS Wire Forum

Ides or March - 2023 S.A.S.S. Florida State Championship ***UPDATE*** 2/10/2023

The Outlaw Travis James

image.thumb.jpeg.d98e83b7837fd26305f9c1899a893cca.jpeg

March 16th-19th, 2023

We currently have 190+ applications for the 2023 Ides of March. If you want to shoot but haven’t gotten your application to Greta yet, what the heck are you waiting for? Get it in ASAP!

Application: https://actionshootingnetwork.com/event/357/the-ides-of-march/

Thursday Side Match Range Officers Needed

Greta Dee is in need of ROs for side matches on Thursday March 16th. We need ROs for 1-hour shifts on the following side matches:

• Speed Rifle/ Speed Pistol
  • Speed Shotgun
  • Pocket Pistol/ Derringer
  • Long Range – 100 & 200 yards
  • Warm Up Stage

If you are available to RO any of these side matches, please email Greta Dee at gretadee1@gmail.com and let her know when you are available to RO.

SHOOTING FLIGHTS

It has been determined that the Ides or March will be one Shooting Flight. That opens up Friday afternoon for more side matches. See below for the updated match schedule.

S.A.S.S Range Officer 1 Class Canceled

Due to lack of registrations (1 Shooter) the SASS ROI Class has been canceled.

CATEGORIES

Available categories are listed on the application. Categories must have a minimum number of shooters, otherwise, they will NOT be honored.

• JOSEY WALES – new this year. 4 pistols and shotgun – Pistols must be shot Duelist or Gunfighter style only.

KING OF KABOOM CATEGORY RULES

Real black powder or sub is allowed. All competitors must shoot their pistols two-handed (traditional style).

Pistols and Rifle

• .40 cal and up - 200 grain and up - 25 grains of powder and up
  • .38-40 cal - 180 grain and up - 30 grains of powder and up
  • Cap and Ball - .44 cal round ball and up - 30 grains of powder and up

Shotgun

• 1 1/8 oz shot, 60 grains of powder and up
  • Double barrel and 87 shotgun only

SASS SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISER

We will be offering a few options to raise funds:

• We will keep a bucket at registration – please consider donating a few dollars when you register.
  • We will be having a Heads-Up Challenge shootoff side match, Thursday during side matches. The cost to compete is $10.00 for the day. You may prepay for this with your application, or you may pay when you register onsite.

SIDE MATCHES

Thursday, March 16th – 10:00 am - 3:30 pm – $10.00 fee and you can shoot all day – best time wins

Awards will be given for:

• Speed Rifle
  • Speed Shotgun
  • Speed Pistol
  • Pocket Pistol
  • Derringer
  • Long Range – 100 and 200 yards.

Bragging Rights Only:

• Warm-up stage (no scores, practice only)
  • Heads Up Challenge - shootoff side match

Friday, March 17th – 2:00 pm - 4:30 pm

Bragging Rights Only:

Team Stage Challenge – Stage 9

• Teams must consist of three shooters.
  • Each shooter will shoot one string. i.e. Pistols, Rifle, or Shotgun.
  • Shooter must physically tag the next shooter before they can touch their gun(s).
  • Fastest Total Time Wins the Stage.
  • Teams may shoot multiple runs as time allows.
  • Spotters will be used.

Team Shootoff – Between Stage 9 & 10

• Each shooter will shoot one string. i.e. Pistols, Rifle, or Shotgun. Each shooter must take shotgun with them to their string.
  • Shooter must physically tag the next shooter before they can touch their gun(s).
  • Make ups must be made before tagging next shooter on their team

**If you’re available to help RO a side match on Thursday, please note it on your application. If we don’t’have enough volunteers, certain side matches may be canceled. Volunteer for an hour!

Wild Bunch 4 stage mini-match – Thursday, March 18th – 9am – $10.00 fee – you must pre-register

REGISTRATION/PACKET PICKUP

• Thursday, March 16th – 9:30 am-4:00 pm
  • Friday, March 19 - 7:30 am-8:30 am - Main Clubhouse at the Range

CAMPING

There is a limited number of DRY spaces available at the range. No water or electricity. We do have water available to fill your freshwater tank before you settle in. No sewer or dump station, so come empty. The nearest dump station is several miles away. You must pre-register and pay. We also need you to provide the size of the trailer/camper/etc. You may arrive on Tuesday, March 14th, and must depart by Monday, March 23rd. Please abide by this, as I’d hate to ask anyone to leave. Before paying, please verify with Greta (gretadee1@gmail.com) that there is still space available.

RANGE RULENO ALCOHOL on the range at any time.

MATCH INFO

Scoring will be based on total time. 5 stages Friday and Saturday, March 17-18th – Top Gun shoot-off Sunday, March 19th.

• The dinner is not included in your match fee. There are a limited number of tickets available, please order/pay in advance. If you wish to attend the Awards but not have dinner, you may do so. Tickets will be given to those that have purchased dinner.
  • Awards will be given out Saturday during the dinner. We will award a maximum of 5 deep per category. 6+ shooters, we will award up to 5th place, 5 shooters, up to 4thplace, 4 shooters, up to 3rd place, 3 shooters, up to 2nd place, 2 shooters, 1st place only will be awarded.

Ides of March 2023 Schedule

(AS OF February 10th, 2023)

TUESDAY, MARCH 14

• 8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup – provided proper paperwork submitted
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup – provided proper fees/paperwork has been submitted

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 15

• 8:00 am – Range Setup starts – help is welcome
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Vendors may arrive and setup – provided proper paperwork submitted
  • 8:30 am-4:00 pm – Campers may arrive and setup – provided proper fees/paperwork has been submitted

THURSDAY, MARCH 16

• 8:00 am – Range opens
  • 9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Registration – held in main pavilion
  • 9:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors open
  • 9:30 am – Wild Bunch Side Match – must pre-register
  • 10:00 am - 3:00 pm - Side Matches
  • 10:00 am – 1:30 pm - Open Shootoff Practice - Between Stages 9 & 10
  • 1:30 pm – Draw for Heads Up Challenge Brackets - Between Stages 9 & 10
  • 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Heads Up Challenge Shootoff Elimination Tournament Side Match- Between Stages 9 & 10
  • 4:00 PM - Posse Marshall Walk Thru with Match Director and Range Master

FRIDAY, MARCH 17

• 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 7:30 am - 8:30 am – Registration – held in main pavilion
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors open
  • 8:45 amMANDATORY shooters meeting – held outside Registration Clubhouse
  • 9:00 am - First 5 Main Match Stages
  • 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm  – Team Stage Challenge – at Stage 9
  • 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm  – Team Shootoff Challenge – between Stages 9 & 10

SATURDAY, MARCH 18

• 7:00 am – Range opens
  • 8:00 am - 4:00 pm – Vendors Open
  • 9:00 am – Second 5 Main Match Stages
  • 4:30 pm – Costume Contest Judging - At Elk’s Lodge: Town Lady, Town Gent, Couple, Cowboy (Classic), Cowgirl (Classic), B Western, Cowboy, B Western Cowgirl, Soiled Dove, Military, Young Man, Young Lady
  • 5:00 pm – Elks Lodge opens for drinks
  • 5:30 pm – Elks Lodge dinner
  • 6:30 pm – Side Match & Main Match awards – Announcements – Etc – Door prize/raffles (must be present to win)

** - ELKS LODGE - *2540 DORA AVE - TAVARES, FL 32778-4976

SUNDAY, MARCH 19

• 7:30 am – Range opens
  • 8:00 am – Cowboy Church – held in main clubhouse
  • 8:00 am - 12:00 pm -Vendors open
  • 9:30 am sharp - Draw Numbers and set up first round Shootoff Brackets
  • 10:00 am sharp - Shootoff Brackets Start | Top Gun Shootoff (Top 32 Overall) | Ladies (Top 8 ) | Juniors (open to all Juniors 16 & under who complete the Main Match)

HOTEL INFO

Hotel information for Ides of March/FL State 2023. Check-in 3/16 and out 3/19. Contact the hotel and tell them you are with the Lake County Pistoleros.

•  Microtel Inn and Suites by Wyndham - 9700 US Hwy 441 Leesburg, FL 34788 352-315-1234 The only available is a single queen at $99/night plus taxes.
  • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Tavares 3601 W Burleigh Blvd, US Hwy 441, Tavares, FL 32278 352-742-1600 2 queen beds at $212/night plus taxes.
  • Hampton Inn Leesburg - 9630 US-441, Leesburg, FL 34788 352-315-1053 2 queen beds at $249/night plus taxes

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/event/357/the-ides-of-march/

Have you ever been in a CAS shootoof?

Would you like to participate in one?

Come out to Side Match Day Thursday March 16th & Friday March 17th 2023 at the Ides of March and you can. We are offering an open shootoff practice match where you can challenge anyone you would like. Just show up, challenge someone, and shoot it off with them. Round count will be 10-10-4+.

We are also offering a few side match brackets as well.

HEADS UP CHALLENGE

• Head-to-Head shootoff elimination bracket(s).
  • Round Count 10-10-4+ per round.
  • Each shooter will do a blind draw for a number before each round.
  • Odds will shoot on the left and evens on the right.
  • Shooters will pair with the next consecutive number. i.e. 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, 5 vs 6, etc.
  • An odd number of participants will result in a bye awarded to the shooter who draws the highest number.
  • First shooter to knockdown all of their targets advances; minus any safeties, procedurals, etc.
  • Brackets (i.e. Open, Ladies, Junior) will be determined by the number of participants.

Team Shootoff – Between Stage 9 & 10

• Each shooter will shoot one string. i.e. Pistols, Rifle, or Shotgun. Each shooter must take shotgun with them to their string.
  • Make ups must be made before tagging next shooter on their team

SHOOTOFF SIDE MATCH SCHEDULE:

Thursday March 16th, 2023

• 10:00 am - 1:30 pm - Open Shootoff Practice - Between Stages 9 & 10
  • 1:30 pm – Draw for Heads Up Challenge Brackets - Between Stages 9 & 10
  • 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm - Heads Up Challenge Shootoff Elimination Tournament Side Match- Between Stages 9 & 10

Friday March 17th, 2023

• 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm  – Team Shootoff Challenge – between Stages 9 & 10

Get your applications to Greta Dee and make sure you check off the Heads Up Challenge Option. It costs $10 for the day and all proceeds go towards the S.A.S.S. Scholarship Fund. See y’all at The Ides!

On 2/11/2023 at 2:29 AM, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

No RO2, either?  I was hoping to pick up a refresher but it probably would have conflicted with the Wild Bunch side match anyhow.

No, sorry. There was enough interest to host the classes. It would have conflicted with WB

On 2/15/2023 at 6:21 PM, The Outlaw Travis James said:. It would have conflicted with WB

Yep, that’s what’s keeping me out of a refresher at SC State.

Thanks, OTJ.

Three Weeks from right now, (assuming we hit the road at 6:00am) Holli & I should have completed our first pit-stop near Richmond, VA and be just shy of the NC border heading south for Lake City.  Really looking forward to this escape from reality.  I Need It BAD!  I think I would be a much happier person if I could shoot every weekend like you guys down in Florida, of course I'd need to go and get a "Real Job" again just to afford all the ammo! :o:P

Been cranking out clean brass from the tumbler, and ammo from the press, so after this weekend we should be good to go on that front.  Now all I need to do is finish all of that dang blasted W@rk that has been coming in faster than I can shovel it out.  This time of year, it seems like two projects come in for every one I get finished.

My ToDo LIST has become a ToDo BOOK!  :wacko:

Regardless, looking forward to seeing everyone again and to a great match.

Two weeks until departure.  It's gonna be a heck of a flail getting ready, but I can't wait!

Bonus Points if you know the Movie.  One of my all time favorites and describes so much of my last Two Decades...:o:P:lol:

Archived