SASS Wire Forum

It's POLKA Time!

Subdeacon Joe

NAH!!  Let’s go back and watch s’more of the Shag!!

Actually, Polka is okay if you’re into that sort of thing.

I’m not.

All I can think of when I hear the world Polka is Groundhog Day. :lol:

We lived 30+ years in Warwick, NY, less than five miles from the village of Florida, NY the home of Jimmy Sturr “The Polka King”. Florida, NY was also the childhood home of  William Seward of “Seward’s Folly” fame, as in the purchase of Alaska from Russia.
We spent a good deal of time in Florida as my wife taught Art in the elementary school in the village.

Cj

On 2/10/2023 at 8:16 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

NAH!!  Let’s go back and watch s’more of the Shag!!

Actually, Polka is okay if you’re into that sort of thing.

I’m not.

I can’t stand polkas, the only thing worse is rap or hip hop or whatever you call that garbage!:angry:

I don’t like beets!!

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I can’t stand polkas, the only thing worse is rap or hip hop or whatever you call that garbage!:angry:

Actually Polka is easy to dance to. Just grab your partner and swing around in a circle kind skipping as you go. Very good exercise. :D

CJ

3 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Actually Polka is easy to dance to. Just grab your partner and swing around in a circle kind skipping as you go. Very good exercise. :D

CJ

I don’t dance!

13 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Rye,

Here’s a free lesson I found just for you! :D

Actually I can’t dance very well either.

CJ

No thanks, can’t stand the music! I played in a wedding band for awhile, drummer, and everytime we had to play a polka I hated it! 

10 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No thanks, can’t stand the music! I played in a wedding band for awhile, drummer, and everytime we had to play a polka I hated it! 

Any idea why polka grates in your nerves so much?

To me it's happy music.  Bright, upbeat, and just plain fun music.   I associate it with good company and good food.

45 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Any idea why polka grates in your nerves so much?

To me it's happy music.  Bright, upbeat, and just plain fun music.   I associate it with good company and good food.

It’s boring, very few chord changes, melodies are almost always the same. I can’t stand the sound of an accordion and the beat especially for a drummer is boring as he$&! I agree it’s a happy kind of music but it doesn’t make me happy!:lol:

That video the Jack posted - somebody needs to beat that cameraman.

Just seems to me that if you're teaching me how to dance, and the dance involves footwork - you might want to keep the camera down at the instructor's feet. Yes she's cute, but it doesn't help me to learn the steps - the STEPS - when you keep the camera on her face.

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It’s boring, very few chord changes, melodies are almost always the same. I can’t stand the sound of an accordion and the beat especially for a drummer is boring as he$&! I agree it’s a happy kind of music but it doesn’t make me happy!:lol:

Thanks.  I don't understand the why of some of your dislikes, but I can see where you are coming from.

To use a phrase I loathe, "We'll just have to agree to disagree." (which can sometimes be translated as Bless Your Heart) :lol: 

Archived