SASS Wire Forum

"With all due respect ..."

Alpo

If someone said that to you, would it annoy you?

To my mind, "with all due respect" actually means, "you are a total flipping moron, and I know it and everybody else standing here knows it".

The lieutenant says to the general, "With all due respect sir, setting up an ambush while having the band play THE STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, to keep our spirits up, is not the greatest idea".

The student says to his math teacher, "With all due respect Mr Johnson, while two plus two and two times two are both four, one plus one and one times one are not both two".

"With all due respect" can be both a compliment and an insult. It's all in the context of the use of the adage. What it usually means is, You're an idiot. However, when some says "with all due respect sir, it isn't done that way anymore"...I don't consider that an insult.

It's all in the context of the conversation.

With all due respect is a term meant to tell another person;

While I think you are wrong in this matter - I am solely disagreeing with you on this SPECIFIC point - I am not diminishing any other debate or opinion.

I am still respectful on the whole of your opinion, experience and knowledge and my debate with you is limited to our diiferences on this topic.

Yes, it might come across as the proverbial, No Offense but; but depending on use, tone and corresponding input - one should be able to determine in which way it is intended prior to becoming upset.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  Whenever anyone tosses in the old "with all due respect" they mean you are WRONG.  Does not matter the tone of voice the outcome is the same - you are wrong.

12 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Whenever anyone tosses in the old "with all due respect" they mean you are WRONG.  Does not matter the tone of voice the outcome is the same - you are wrong.

Not necessarily. It means that the other person THINKS that you're wrong. He might be wrong. But sometimes it DOES mean, "You're an idiot".

16 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's manners. "I disagree, but don't mean it personally".

People can spend energy trying to find other meanings. Why bother? If you're looking for offense, you'll always find it.

Seems to be the way of the world and of the Wire anymore.

People have lost the philosophy of "Benefit of a doubt" if someone says something "off" from how another believes a topic should be presented.

Now it is a rush to be offended not just by the topic but because of the posters syntax and phrasing.

And the more offended they are - the more righteous they become.

37 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Seems to be the way of the world and of the Wire anymore.

People have lost the philosophy of "Benefit of a doubt" if someone says something "off" from how another believes a topic should be presented.

Now it is a rush to be offended not just by the topic but because of the posters syntax and phrasing.

And the more offended they are - the more righteous they become.

When they reply to me I am Offended  I just laugh They Could not know how little I care that they are and quite frankly maybe they need to be more often . Not my fault their Dad raised some one weak that cant accept another view 

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

It's all in the context of the conversation.

Sorta like "bless your heart."

OK, it's already been said.  Twice.  Never mind.

15 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

When they reply to me I am Offended  I just laugh They Could not know how little I care that they are and quite frankly maybe they need to be more often . Not my fault their Dad raised some one weak that cant accept another view 

I have a T-shirt that says, "I didn't mean to offend you, that was just a bonus". If somebody tells me that they are offended, I tell them "No need to be offended, just stop being wrong". Or, "I'm not trying to offend you. If I was, you'd know it!"

For me it depends on context and if the person saying it to me knows me and my experience. I have used to term and it wasn’t to demean but to respectfully disagree or point out other options. 
Now, if some that doesn’t know me says “with all due respect” it’s my cue to mess with them. I immediately ask them how they know I deserve their respect. Then, depending on their response and the situation I will let them off the hook easily or continue to disrupt what they are trying to do or convey. 

I used to have a boss that hated that phrase. Anyone that said “with all due respect” to him was in for a butt chewing and probably added work. He was a vindictive bastage. Just for pure meanness and fun I would slip a “with all due respect” into our conversations. I could get away with it. My peers could not. It did tell me where I stood with him. And it was good entertainment. 

If a SGT or a Warrant Officer said to me, "With due respect Sir." I ALWAYS listened and did not take offence.

Saved my butt a few times as I was learning.

2 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

I think I'm offended by the grammar, punctuation and random use of capitalization above. I'm still not certain I completely understand what was stated.

It’s not the saying to “With all due respect’ that’s the problem. It’s what comes after it. 

If phrased courteously and and articulately, it can lead to a productive discussion. 

If you think that saying it cancels out the disrespect to follow, you are seriously mistaken as one of my lieutenants learned one day. 

In a chain of command, be it Military or Corporate, good subordinates are supposed to contribute.  Though it is not a safe course, career wise, it is frequently an honorable one.  If you feel something is wrong with a a tactic or a plan you speak up.  If you have to pay a price for honest input later, so be it!  Diction be damned!

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I think I'm offended by the grammar, punctuation and random use of capitalization above. I'm still not certain I completely understand what was stated.

Usually that is the usual  fall back comment  used by the weak party that gets offended :) If you have to resort to that well you lost 

39 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Usually that is the fall back used by the weak party that gets offended :)

Nah, the weak and woke offended take whatever was said and misinterpret it to feed their offense. They don't claim to not understand it, and their grammar, punctuation and random use of capitalization are as atrocious as yours! :P

5 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Nah, the weak and woke offended take whatever was said and misinterpret it to feed their offense. They don't claim to not understand it, and their grammar, punctuation and random use of capitalization are as atrocious as yours! :P

Same , Same  deal with it . 

3 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Same , Same  deal with it . 

Yeah, yeah... Just like I deal with other weak and woke. I don't bother! :rolleyes:

Archived