SASS Wire Forum

Buc-ee’s

Dirty Dan Dawkins

I don’t get it.

100 gas pumps all backed up.

2-300 people walking around stupefied at the seemingly endless jerky selection and overpriced everything.

Gas cost $.10 more than the Flying J and Pilot nearby.

The brisket we heard so much about wasn’t that good. 

If you like a truck stop with a carnival atmosphere, I’m ok with that. But who ever decided to market this mediocrity on a ginormous scale and pulled all of us suckers in, my hat is off to you- build something big, ostentatious and outlandish and the word of mouth advertising will kick in. A mascot helps, if only to sell shirts and hats.

Ps- The glazed pecans were good but I get twice as much for the same price at Kroger, and they are generally as good, typically better.

9 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I don’t get it.

100 gas pumps all backed up.

2-300 people walking around stupefied at the seemingly endless jerky selection and overpriced everything.

Gas cost $.10 more than the Flying J and Pilot nearby.

The brisket we heard so much about wasn’t that good. 

If you like a truck stop with a carnival atmosphere, I’m ok with that. But who ever decided to market this mediocrity on a ginormous scale and pulled all of us suckers in, my hat is off to you- build something big, ostentatious and outlandish and the word of mouth advertising will kick in. A mascot helps, if only to sell shirts and hats.

Ps- The glazed pecans were good but I get twice as much for the same price at Kroger, and they are generally as good, typically better.

Have you seen who our President is ? 81 million people living in the USA with one single living brain cell and that number is low , Common sense isnt common 

I've never seen a Buc-ees let alone been to one. Been to a Bucs game before, been called "Hey Bucky", read a comic with a cat named Bucky in it, but up until I saw that spoof of a California biracial couple moving to Texas video...I'd never heard of it.

If I was passing by, I'd stop by...just to see what all of the hubbub is about. Otherwise, I'm not making a special trip to a tourist trap.

They have one not far from us.

We very seldom stop. I don't really get the attraction. 

But they are always busy.

The BBQ sandwich is hit and miss. But we do stop and get one now and then.   

My kids think it’s like Disney World when we go by….high schools wear the clothes and merchandise.  Brisket sandwhich has been good to me, and their snacks are much much cheaper than most stores.  We plan time to stop, love the bathrooms too.

We stop and make a meal here if traveling so to us it’s one stop instead of 2.

Pretty much a tourist trap. My wife loves it. We've stopped a few times in our travels. Tons of cool stuff, but as stated overpriced. That's the way it is at travel centers. It's kinds like a cross between the old Stuckey's and a Walmart Supercenter. I've bought some of there food here and there and it was pretty good. Paying high for something that's pretty good sure beats paying a premium for stuff that's crap like some such places.

My 2 cents,

JHC

Truck stops and travel plazas are always overpriced. 

Truck stops have a captive market- since you can't park an 18 wheeler just anywhere- and travel plazas rely on those passing through that don't know that gas is a quarter a gallon cheaper half a mile away and just out of sight of the interstate exit.

Buc-ee's is a Texas Institution! 

The mile of jerky is incredible, but it seems that I can't afford jerky anymore.

The Buc-ee Nuggets are more in my price range, and are a tasty treat for the road.

The paper cones of candied pecans are wonderful!

And in Katy, Texas, they built the longest car wash in the world! Well, the world that matters, anyway.

Butt, as their billboards explain, It's only 50 more miles, You can hold it!

Their well-advertised attraction is their restrooms.

The toilet stalls are separate little booths with tiled walls in between, not metal partitions.

For an old guy that prefers privacy, they're great.

And they have good vent fans, too!

The rest of the store is a circus, but if you gotta go...  :D

18 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

He WASN'T elected. The other side cheated.

Even in today’s society I’ll never believe 81 million different, alive Americans citizens voted for Brandon. But I’m sure he got the votes. That’s why their slogan is count every single vote. It doesn’t matter if they are legitimate or not 

I checked their locator, none closer to Lake Erie than South Carolina.

(My own fault for living in the Yankee North, shame on me!)

I do know one. On election day my next door neighbor asked me if I voted, and I told her I had. She asked who I voted for, and in a tone of surprise that she would ask I said, "Trump".

And she mildly chastised me for being so stupid as to vote for him again, and said she had voted for Brandon.

She's the only one so far that has admitted it.

19 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

CLEAN RESTROOMS!!!

The only reason to prefer them!

Yes. There is that.

Every time I have stopped at one to use the restroom. They have always been clean.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, Alpo said:

I do know one. On election day my next door neighbor asked me if I voted, and I told her I had. She asked who I voted for, and in a tone of surprise that she would ask I said, "Trump".

And she mildly chastised me for being so stupid as to vote for him again, and said she had voted for Brandon.

She's the only one so far that has admitted it.

I know of several who voted for ol’ Walter!  I had little or no respect for those individuals before and I have even less now!!

On 2/11/2023 at 7:43 AM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

There’s now a Buc-ees in Cookville, TN!  That’s much closer to ya’!!  B)

9 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

There is one just south of Richmond, KY. (near my brother-in-law) That's closer than SC. Stopped once on our way back from Black Gold. Jerky is good. 

inflation is down the last six months in a row [ya right] and they inherited a bad economy [lie to yourself but not to me] the economy is great = just what world do they lie in ? NOT MINE 

11 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Please pardon me for being a foreigner, but how is it pronounced ?

is it Bewseez ?

is it Buckeez?

is it Booseys?

or, is it something else ???  :huh:

10 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Buck ease

Thankyou  :)

They just opened a new Buccees on I-65 at Athens, AL.  I've driven past it a couple of times a month since it opened, and see no need to fight the crowd to see what's for sale there.  I don't do lines or crowds well. 

2 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

the girls heard , there is one planned somewhere in MO , around Springfield 

guess , who , was volentold , they were gonna be the driver ? 

CB :wacko:

..... volentold ........... interesting concept, although I think I'd prefer to give rather than receive .......... :blush:

2 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

the girls heard , there is one planned somewhere in MO , around Springfield 

guess , who , was volentold , they were gonna be the driver ? 

CB :wacko:

Lemme know when you are "scheduled" I will probably be voluntold too!

If you have young kids in the car, and a long trip, then you know one reason this place exists. 

Restrooms, drinks, snacks, toys, tee-shirts, desserts, candy, beer, slushy's, jerky, nuts, a bakery, curios, cutting boards, gasoline/diesel. 

Also, it has the cleanest bathrooms in the world.

Yeah, wally-world is likely cheaper, perhaps getting more for the money. 

Does any kid, on a long trip, get excited about going to a department store, with filthy restrooms, and maybe an old popcorn machine,,,or this place?

It's not for everyone, but then again, not everyone may be on a long trip, with kids, in need of a bathroom and a carnival atmosphere. 

Let's gripe about the open border, and drugs from china flowing in killing our kids. Next to that, Buc-ees is heaven. 

J.,M., and J. !!!!

I love me some Buc ees…..  I won’t pass one up.  It’s the Disney of gas stations…….  They have the best food made on premises….  BBQ…. You name it.  Snacks….  The jars of candied jalapeños are to die for….  We put that in corn bread.  They make the best beef jerky in countless flavors.  
anyone that says they don’t see the draw has clearly never been to one. LOL!   And if you go in and you can’t find something you like….  There is just No pleasing 

they do get packed….  But still worth it.  

Archived