SASS Wire Forum

Need some help from all you shotgun loaders

Lefty Dutchman, SASS #41480

A friend of my his dad passed away, and I bought two Ponsness Warren 800B loading presses from him.

It also came with about 10,000 shotgun primers some of them are CCI 157 are these the same as the 209 primers. Also, I need to buy some shot bushing and powder bushings. My favorite load is 7/8 oz of shot 7.5 or 8 I have a lot of Winchester AA Lite power. It is a nice light load 12 grains at 980 FPS.

My question is were can I buy both powder and shot bushings, and is there a powder bushing for 12 grains of AA Lite powder. I just wish it was not discontinued.

Looking forward to hear from all you hull stuffers.

Lefty

Ballistic Products is my go to source for shotgun reloading but certainly is not the only supplier.  See https://www.ballisticproducts.com/PW-Parts-Accessories/departments/554/ for PW bushings.  BTW, Alliant Extra-Lite makes good 7/8 oz loads.  I load for myself with Extra-Lite and save my dwindling supply of AA Lite for my wife who is more sensitive to recoil.

Lefty, I purchase my shot and powder bushing direct from Ponsness Warren. I have always received excellent fast service from them. 

2 minutes ago, Ace Hanlon said:

Lefty, I purchase my shot and powder bushing direct from Ponsness Warren. I have always received excellent fast service from them. 

https://www.reloaders.com/products/standard-shot-bushings

This is off of one of the shotshell reloading websites about the CCI 157 -

They are CCI's version of the Remington 57* primers that fit the old Remington SP Express cases, which were discontinued about 1980.

Those primers are smaller in diameter than the 209 primers used today, and for all practical reasons are now worthless. Unless you have some of those old hulls, they won't fit anything else.

I have been loading shot shells with Ponsness & Warren press for about 18 years and they are a great press and good people. You can get what you need from them and if you need help with anything  just call them they are more than happy to help! I load with AA lite  powder  and they don't list a bushing for AA Lite but I bought a D powder bushing, it was a long time ago but I think it gave me 11.7 grs of AA Lite and I machined it to give me 12.0 grs AA Lite  and I us a 4.5 shot bushing and that will give you the 26 grams of shot and  that's what in feather lite shells.

I realize the CCI 157 primers are smaller and won't fit newer hulls, but I had 2000 of them and sold them to a guy who had a bunch of those old hulls and he was glad to get them.  You might try to sell them before getting rid of them

Lefty, as Pettifogger mentioned, the 157 primers are too small for modern shotshells.  However, they are what is needed for the Alcan brass hulls.   Those are great brass hulls, thicker than Magtech/Winchester/Rem-UMC but thinner than Rocky Mountain Cartridge.  I have had people give me their old 157 primers.  So if you know anyone who loads Alcans, they will be happy to have them.  Also, you might keep an eye out at estate sales, or check with any long-time gunstores that might have regular non-brass Alcan hulls in storage somewhere.  I don't know if those were plastic or paper.  I think that in an Apocalypse situation people might try to shim them with thin paper to sub for 209's (I'm NOT suggesting that!).  

Alcans loaded.JPG

The  powder bushings from hornady and rcbs will also work in the PW loader.  You can also buy an adapter that let's you use all of the mec powder bushings as well.  If you are new to PW loaders contact Jim Cunningham at www.jimsearneye.com and order his guide for setting the machine and troubleshooting.  Jim has been a dealer and worked on PW machines for decades and his guide is a necessity for working on these older machines.  

You might want to go to www.shotgunworld.com and after you get the required number of posts list those primers with local pick up only.  I am betting there are guys on that forum looking for them.  

Archived