SASS Wire Forum

1860 Army lube question

Fallon Kid

I gotta pair of 1860 Army Mason Conversions. My loads I’m putting together (45colt) is 20gn 2FF/.030 fiber/20gn breakfast. I’m using cast 200gn RN and powder coated. I did not lube bullet as lube grooves so small as to be non-existent.  I remember being told a while back I could lube the first and last cylinder and my Mom would be proud of me. Has anyone any experience with this? Thanks Fallon Kid

To be used for cowboy.

If you used APP there would be no need for lube.  If using BP, then you could try adding lube over the bullet(s) in front of the cylinder after loading it.  I have done this for over 20 years in my BP pistol rounds (no lube in the bullets).  I use butter flavored Crisco over the first two rounds to fire.  I'm not sure how much it helps to put lube over the second round to fire, as the blast from the first  shot will blow most of the lube off the second round, but it might still have a light coating on the bullet so I do it anyway.  I don't think it would do any good to lube the last round shot that way as the lube would certainly all be blasted away by the first 4 rounds.  Note: Butter flavored Crisco is pretty soft but never leaks out.  However, a thicker lube like beeswax or something with a lot of beeswax in it might stay in place and not get blasted away, however I've never needed to do that.  I never have to do any cleaning during the match and cleanup later is easy.  Now, this is with lead bullets.  I don't know if doing it with coated bullets will work or not.  I suspect it will but have not tried it.    It is very easy to do.   In my rifle rounds I lube my BP bullets, or occasionally use APP.  You may hear from some people who just slap a coated bullet over BP with no lube have satisfactory results since the targets are so freaking close now.  Good luck.

Thank You I do appreciate your help Abilene. Not using sub BP as converted to church of the holy black.  First and second round. I'll try this Sun. My lube is  same as everyone only different. LOL I water it down to about like bore butter. I do have 15lbs of BLACK MZ which is good but a bit powerful. Thanks again Pard and next cup of coffee is on me. Jerry

Tada! And today I bought a Spenser 56-50. They make in modern calibers but I like the original. You can tell your friends if they go with a Spenser the 56=50 choice will add about 500 bucks over 45 colt cal. I live alone but sometimes I wish I had someone to tell me NO. LOL 

Do an experiment and lube all 6 chambers. Inspect them after every shot. You'll be amazed at how little lube is left after in the remaining chambers after first shot. By the 5th round 99% of the lube is in places you don't want it.

I just lube the first chamber in pistols and have never had an issue as SASS distances.

I have used this method.  Yes, you don't have to lube every cylinder.  I used ordinary vegetable shortening in cool weather but used bore butter in hot weather as I was given a tub.  I used a popsicle stick to apply the grease.  My revolvers stayed quite free of fouling.  I now use BP-lubed bullets since this method was extra work at a match and left my revolvers covered with a film of grease.  I had to wipe down my grips and clean my shooting glasses frequently.

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I have used this method.  Yes, you don't have to lube every cylinder.  I used ordinary vegetable shortening in cool weather but used bore butter in hot weather as I was given a tub.  I used a popsicle stick to apply the grease.  My revolvers stayed quite free of fouling.  I now use BP-lubed bullets since this method was extra work at a match and left my revolvers covered with a film of grease.  I had to wipe down my grips and clean my shooting glasses frequently.

Well dang, Edward!  Were you using half a tub per stage?  My guns have always stayed totally clean on the outside.  I keep my butter flavored Crisco in a small squeeze bottle (originally from a gunshow - a sample bottle of CLP oil) in my belt pouch and it takes me about ten seconds at the loading table.  I guess this must be a YMMV thing.  And actually, once my stash of loaded pistol ammo runs out, I too am switching to BP-lubed pistol bullets as well since I found some that cost no more than regular bullets.  But I may still squirt a little extra lube over that first bullet since it is so easy to do, and if a little lube is good, mo' is betta! :)

16 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I went the clean and lazy way. Powder 

wonder was soaked in 50/50 bees wax and crisco.

then ball...

Huh??  Do you mean a lubed wad?

37 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Well dang, Edward!  Were you using half a tub per stage?  My guns have always stayed totally clean on the outside.  I keep my butter flavored Crisco in a small squeeze bottle (originally from a gunshow - a sample bottle of CLP oil) in my belt pouch and it takes me about ten seconds at the loading table.  I guess this must be a YMMV thing.  And actually, once my stash of loaded pistol ammo runs out, I too am switching to BP-lubed pistol bullets as well since I found some that cost no more than regular bullets.  But I may still squirt a little extra lube over that first bullet since it is so easy to do, and if a little lube is good, mo' is betta! :)

I wasn't lubing the bullets.  I was placing lube in the end of a cylinder at the unloading table.  It was much more lube than needed.  That's why I was blasting grease all over myself.  Your method is more reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I wasn't lubing the bullets.  I was placing lube in the end of a cylinder at the unloading table.  It was much more lube than needed.  That's why I was blasting grease all over myself.  Your method is more reasonable.

That's the way I did it.  Squirt the lube down over the bullet through the front of the cylinder.

I use these. Fill it with Mobil-1 full synthetic grease. I store it tip down in a piece of copper tubing with a cap on one end that is attached to my loading stand.

8 Pack Disposable 12cc Dental Syringe.

temp.thumb.jpg.13b03d676f5cb5425cacc5e1663a0fd6.jpg

Cut part of the tip off so the grease flows easier.  

3 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

That's the way I did it.  Squirt the lube down over the bullet through the front of the cylinder.

My vegetable shortening lacked the butter flavoring.  That likely explains the difference.  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I went the clean and lazy way. Powder 

wonder was soaked in 50/50 bees wax and crisco.

then ball

I can shoot 6 stages and never touch my guns. 

And no lube getting all over, especially in hot weather.

Are you talking about C&B? OP is talking about cartridges and powder coated bullets. 

I use a lubed wad in my ,45 Colt cartridges. If you reload, just put the wad in and then put the bullet on top of the wad and complete the loading process as usual.

I don’t recommend that you load up a lot of ammunition this way and store it.  I HAVE put an “over powder” card between the powder and the wad and shot the ammo a few weeks later without any problems, but it COULD contaminate the powder with lube if your cartridges sit too long.

Mostly, I shoot these loads within a few days of assembly.  I use the same lubed wads in my cap ‘n’ ball guns, but I only put the wads in a couple of chambers in each gun each stage.

You can buy the wads already lubed or make ‘em up, either by purchasing dry wads or punching them out of a piece of felt with and upholstery punch.  Then mix up your favorite lube recipe and lube them yourself in a shallow sheet pan.

I been known to do all of the above, depending on my mood and the availability of ready mades!

I lube my wads in a microwave. Punch out about 150, put em in a baggie, add a healthy squirt of Bore butter, nuke for 20 seconds and knead. Add more bore butter til your happy. I make them mostly for muzzleloading as I haven't found a reasonable punch in the .460 ballpark yet for my 1860's.

Archived