SASS Wire Forum

Joe! You Idiot!

Subdeacon Joe

Grumble.....
Last night I set up the coffee maker.  Or so I thought.  Rinsed the basket and pot, poured water into the machine.  Picked up the bag of coffee.  Set it down, and got my wife whatever it was she asked for,  closed up the coffee maker.
Got up this morning, got some bread started, punched the go button on the coffee maker.  Checked stuff online until I heard the gurgle that means coffee is ready.  Grabben my cup - hmmm....coffee looks really weak....as in, "Joe! You idiot!  You didn't put the coffee in!"  
Rectified situation, and now.....

Mmmmmm....COFFEE!  Amazing how long that extra few minutes is.

I did the opposite a while back. Coffee and filter in the machine, but no water. My machine will turn off the maker part but heat the hot plate if no water is in it so I had a nice hot pot of air when I came back inside from feeding the birds and cleaning the ice off the windows of my wife’s Suburban. :lol:

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Grumble.....
Last night I set up the coffee maker.  Or so I thought.  Rinsed the basket ona pot, poured water into the machine.  Picked up the bag of coffee.  Set it down, and got my wife whatever it was she asked for,  closed up the coffee maker.
Got up this morning, got some bread started, punched the go button on the coffee maker.  Checked stuff online until I heard the gurgle that means coffee is ready.  Grabben my cup - hmmm....coffee looks really weak....as in, "Joe! You idiot!  You didn't put the coffee in!"  
Rectified situation, and now.....

Mmmmmm....COFFEE!  Amazing how long that extra few minutes is.

You're getting old, Son.....and it gets worse as you get older.

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You're getting old, Son.....and it gets worse as you get older.

Well, at least it gives the missus something to gig me about.  Heck.....I told her last night, "Coffee is prepped!" and since her sleep cycle is all messed up I had half expected her to hit the go button on it at about 0200.  Fortunately for me she didn't, came back to bed at about 0230.  

8 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

and this , is WHY , ya always double check , your work , 

when ya get distracted 

CB :o

Especially something as important as coffee.  :D

The worst I've ever done is not hit the ON button and a few minutes later I go to pour a cup and nothing!! :angry:

8 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The worst I've ever done is not hit the ON button and a few minutes later I go to pour a cup and nothing!! :angry:

I think the worst thing with the drip coffee makers is to almost get the carafe on the plate. It looks like it's on, but it's not quite in position to to press on that little spring loaded cut off button that lets you pull the carafe and pour a cup while it's still perking.  Basket doesn't drain, overflows, coffee and grounds everywhere on the coffee maker and counter.  Great thing to have to clean up before you've had your morning coffee.

Not that I've ever done that!  :rolleyes:

Recently.

52 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I think the worst thing with the drip coffee makers is to almost get the carafe on the plate. It looks like it's on, but it's not quite in position to to press on that little spring loaded cut off button that lets you pull the carafe and pour a cup while it's still perking.  Basket doesn't drain, overflows, coffee and grounds everywhere on the coffee maker and counter.  Great thing to have to clean up before you've had your morning coffee.

Recently.

Been there!:D, use K cups now, easy peasy, so long as you remember the water! :P

At least you had the pot under the drip spout.

I got called away and distracted when setting up the coffee pot and had turned things on without the pot under the drip.

Oh well, it was a dark hardwood floor anyway.

Check your meds.  Dr. put me on a statin drug that turned me into a zombie.   My job early in the morning was it make a pot of coffee.  I could never get it right.  Every possible way to screw it up, I did. Finally figured out what was causing it and quit taking it.  Took a couple of months to start recovery.  Nasty stuff.  Now I see it's being banned around the world.

49 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Check your meds.

Nah.  I just got distracted.  Since I had picked up the bag of coffee, then did something else, in my mind I had finished with it.  

47 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Did you expect a argument of this statement :)

Heck no!   I actually expected more enthusiastic agreement.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Recently.

Had something similar happen at my office.  Commercial coffee maker was started and brewing.  A couple of gents came in chatting away.  First gent didn't pay attention to the brewing in process and pulled the carafe away from the coffee maker.  His partner pointed at the machine and started to say something when the first gent turned around to hear the hissing sound of the coffee draining onto the warming plate.  I scooted out as fast as I could so I didn't get caught up in their clean-up efforts.

8 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Been there!:D, use K cups now, easy peasy, so long as you remember the water! :P

I am with you bought our first one and never look back

8 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

At least you had the pot under the drip spout.

I got called away and distracted when setting up the coffee pot and had turned things on without the pot under the drip.

Oh well, it was a dark hardwood floor anyway.

Decades ago in my backpacking days I brought a canteen of spring water off the mountain expressly to make coffee (mountain spring coffee is the BEST!!!!!) I did the same thing. Not only wasted my precious spring water but made a melluva hess to boot mopping up the wasted coffee.

JHC

angry-meme.jpg

3 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

looked down the other morning, coffee running everywhere, forgot to put the cup under the spout.

Done that too:D, lucked out though the tray on Keurig held it all but the spatter!

Love percolator coffee. It's like treat sometimes when camping. But too impatient when home! Ks give me a choice of strength and flavor too.

Dang... I saw the thread title and expected a commentary on our fearless fear inspiring leader!  :o  :huh:  

Don't ever put instant coffee in a drip coffee maker.

Back in the early 90s when I was stationed at NAS Fallon NV, I was supervising the cleaning of my shop in preparation for a formal inspection the next day. One of my "special" airmen was tidying up the shop coffee mess and decided that the mess would loot better if the two partial cans of coffee next to the pot would look better if there was only one. Without reading the labels, the idiot consolidates regular and instant coffee into the same can.

Well it so happens that instant coffee will stop up a coffee filter. Had the whole shop scrambling to clean up the mess before the inspection team arrived. Was quite the ordeal as everyone was wearing their dress whites.

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Don't ever put instant coffee in a drip coffee maker.

Back in my younger days of poverty I would make a pot of coffee in the mister coffee, then put a couple spoons of instant on the old grounds to make another pot. Worked great, couldn't taste the "instant" but didn't taste weak either.

Archived