SASS Wire Forum

Mandatory evacuations

Rye Miles #13621

14 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I respect his decision. 

m with you , i will add that back then , years ago , i would have said different , things look different when your young than they do when your old , but ...there were a couple times when i was young that i took a hard fast stance against weather and thankfully it worked out so i could see someone making that choice young , its just easier when your older i think , 

we are all  going to die , its just where and when really , sometimes i think it would be nice to make a stance even if it ends up to be that time and place , some days i think im doing it daily when it goes below zero here but then there are times like today when its in the 20-30s that i decide its not that bad , 

This topic went a little off track! I never said I wouldn’t evacuate, of course it depends on the severity of the situation. I was asking if they can arrest you if you DONT go. I know all the stories about people that’s didn’t leave etc etc. blah blah blah…..Spare me please! My question has been answered, much obliged. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This topic went a little off track! I never said I wouldn’t evacuate, of course it depends on the severity of the situation. I was asking if they can arrest you if you DONT go. I know all the stories about people that’s didn’t leave etc etc. blah blah blah…..Spare me please! My question has been answered, much obliged. 

Wait!
You post in the Saloon and expect it to stay on track? :blink:
That way lies madness!

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Wait!
You post in the Saloon and expect it to stay on track? :blink:
That way lies madness!

I know, I had an attack of common sense this morning, sorry!:P

The night of one of my buddies bachelor party about 30 years ago there was a big train derailment and a forced evacuation. Chemical spill. There will a few drunks resisting, the cops said in no uncertain terms to get the most sober people behind the wheel and leave. 
I worked in the Chemical Industry for over 25 years, if there’s a spill most of the time you really don’t want to stay . Even if police weren’t giving the reason for the evacuation I’m not sure I would want to stick around to find out why, unless they are taking my guns and trying to load me on a train car. 

On 2/7/2023 at 9:46 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Google Harry Truman My. Saint Helens.

His body was never found.

I recall he was buried under a pyroclastic flow like the citizens of Pompeii and Herculaneum in AD 79.  

On 2/7/2023 at 9:29 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

This.  During the Tubbs Fire in 2017 Highway 12 in Santa Rosa was a charlie foxtrot, too many people trying to leave all at once.  In 2018 during the fire season PG&E kept doing Planned Public Safety Power Outages "out of an abundance of caution" cutting off power to thousands we winds got above about 15 mph.  Which caused a lot of public outrage.  Power would be off between a couple of hours and a couple of days.  Several times.  

Two years later in 2019 during the Kincade Fire the authorities tried to evacuate the entire county "out of an abundance of caution" which caused almost as many issues, and again PG&E was doing the PPSP.  Irritating.  "OH!  We do it because the fires are so unpredictable!  And we need to clear people out so we have clear access for emergency vehicles."  They were evacuating people who were 15 miles from the fire and upwind of it.  OK, I sort of get it, the Tubbs fire moved 15 miles in less than two hours.  But it moved downwind.

Comes to 2020, Glass Fire.  We go the special siren for mandatory evacuation as well as the reverse 911 calls.  From our corner of Santa Rosa police were directing people along Montecito Blvd and Fountaingrove to Highway 101, and blocking off the feeders to Highway 12 to keep all of its lanes open for fire and other emergency vehicles.  That worked out very well. 

2021 and 2022 were relatively quiet.  PG&E changed its protocols so we weren't getting alerts every other day.

The Creek Fire burned predictably for several days and people objected to the hard evacuation order, but still complied.  On the 4th night, the wind changed and increased to 60+ mph.  417 homes scattered over 22 miles were burned to the ground in less than a 2-hour span.  There were no deaths or injuries.  Our whole area remained evacuated and sealed off  for 3-1/2 more weeks, due to fire logistics needs, electrical repair hazards, and  home looting risks.  Our home was still standing, but the rest of our ranch was burned black.  Have you ever smelled a refrigerator after the power is shut off for 3+ weeks?  Quite an experience.  But not nearly as bad as all of our neighbors who lost everything -- except their lives, pets, and faith.  20211011_152024.thumb.jpg.b73e218d48098279aa7c45fef1f1bd92.jpg

Looks like Northfork & Southern railroad is reimbursing the people that evacuated for a couple days in East Palestine, Ohio and surrounding areas! 
See OP 

Archived